Y′′=−20⋅4x^3, Second order linear ordinary DE

In summary: D.The characteristic equation is r2 = 0, which has r = 0 as a repeated root. The complementary function (solution of the homogeneous problem) is yc = c1 + c2x.The nonhomogeneous problem (your problem) is y'' = -80x3. This could also be written as D2y = -80x3, where Dy means dy/dx or y', and D2y means ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}## or y''.We note that the D4 operator "annihilates" the right side, as D4(x3) = 0. IOW, the fourth derivative of x
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

y′′=−20⋅4x^3

Homework Equations

Undetermined coefficients method

The Attempt at a Solution

so at first, solving the associated homogeneous equation I find the fundamental set of solutions to be: y1=1 and y2=x.

I know that these are correct. Now for the part that confuses me.

I'm trying to find Yp, the particular solution.

g(x) = -80x^3 so Yp is of the form Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx + D

but when I solve this I get Yp=0, that is not correct.

It seems to me that Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D is Linearly independent from y1 and y2 so why doesn't this work? The book lists the solution as Yp=-4x^5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:

Homework Statement

y′′=−20⋅4x^3

Homework Equations

Undetermined coefficients method

The Attempt at a Solution

so at first, solving the associated homogeneous equation I find the fundamental set of solutions to be: y1=1 and y2=x.
This is much simpler than you're making it out to be.
Just integrate both sides twice.
Feodalherren said:
I know that these are correct. Now for the part that confuses me.

I'm trying to find Yp, the particular solution.

g(x) = -80x^3 so Yp is of the form Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx + D

but when I solve this I get Yp=0, that is not correct.

It seems to me that Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D is Linearly independent from y1 and y2 so why doesn't this work? The book lists the solution as Yp=-4x^5.

Likes Feodalherren
Ok fair enough, it could be done like that. But the point of this chapter is to learn this method. The question specifically asks for the fundamental set of solutions, Yp and the general solution. At any rate, I'm stuck on another similar problem which I can't integrate. I'm sure I can solve it if I can figure out this simpler case first.

Feodalherren said:
Ok fair enough, it could be done like that. But the point of this chapter is to learn this method. The question specifically asks for the fundamental set of solutions, Yp and the general solution. At any rate, I'm stuck on another similar problem which I can't integrate. I'm sure I can solve it if I can figure out this simpler case first.
Since y'' = -80x3, a reasonable choice for yp would be ##y_p = Ax^5 + Bx^4 + Cx^3 + Dx^2 + c_1x + c_2##. Differentiate twice and compare coefficients to what you have in the differential equation. That seems like a pointless technique, though, IMO, at least for this problem.

For the nonhomogeneous equation, y'' = 0, the fundamental set of solutions is as you say, {1, x}. Note that in my particular solution above, the complementary solutions are included with coefficients of c1 and c2.

BTW, is there some reason you wrote -20*4x3 instead of -80x3?

Likes Feodalherren
Ok that works but how did you pick your Yp? I know Yp has to be linearly independent from the fundamental set of solutions but it seems to me like Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D already is, so why doesn't that satisfy the conditions? I feel like I'm missing something very fundamental here.

Feodalherren said:
Ok that works but how did you pick your Yp? I know Yp has to be linearly independent from the fundamental set of solutions but it seems to me like Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D already is, so why doesn't that satisfy the conditions? I feel like I'm missing something very fundamental here.
If yp = Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D, what happens after you differentiate yp twice w.r.t x? Do you get a cubic in x?

Likes Feodalherren
I get 6Ax + 2B

So essentially what you're telling me that if g(x) is a polynomial of degree n, then for y'' the 2nd derivative of yp has the be a polynomial of degree n?

Feodalherren said:
So essentially what you're telling me that if g(x) is a polynomial of degree n, then for y'' the 2nd derivative of yp has the be a polynomial of degree n?
Something like that.

There is the Method of Annihilators, which is applicable in this problem.
Homogeneous equation: y'' = 0
The characteristic equation is r2 = 0, which has r = 0 as a repeated root. The complementary function (solution of the homogeneous problem) is yc = c1 + c2x.

The nonhomogeneous problem (your problem) is y'' = -80x3. This could also be written as D2y = -80x3, where Dy means dy/dx or y', and D2y means ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}## or y''.

We note that the D4 operator "annihilates" the right side, as D4(x3) = 0. IOW, the fourth derivative of x3 = 0. Because of this fact, we apply the D4 operator to both sides of the nonhomogeneous problem to get
D4(D2y) = D4(-80x3) = 0
Or, D6y = 0, which is a homogeneous equation.

The characteristic equation is r6 = 0, so that r = 0 is a repeated root. The general solution of this equation is ##y = c_1 + c_2x + Ax^2 + Bx^3 + Cx^4 + Dx^5##. I wrote the first two differently, as they were the solution of y'' = 0, and I want to keep them separate. The particular solution is the portion with the coefficients A, B, C, and D.

Likes Feodalherren
Perfect, that was exactly the kind of explanation that I was looking for. Thanks!

1. What is the meaning of "Y′′=−20⋅4x^3" in the context of a second order linear ordinary differential equation?

The expression "Y′′=−20⋅4x^3" represents the second derivative of the unknown function Y with respect to the independent variable x. This differential equation is second order because it includes the second derivative of Y.

2. How is this differential equation different from a first order linear ordinary differential equation?

A first order linear ordinary differential equation involves only the first derivative of the unknown function, while a second order linear ordinary differential equation involves the second derivative. Additionally, a second order linear ODE may have two linearly independent solutions, while a first order linear ODE only has one solution.

3. What is the general solution to this differential equation?

The general solution to a second order linear ordinary differential equation is of the form Y(x) = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x), where c1 and c2 are constants and y1(x) and y2(x) are two linearly independent solutions to the equation. In this case, the general solution would be Y(x) = c1sin(2x) + c2cos(2x).

4. How can this differential equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

Second order linear ordinary differential equations are commonly used to model physical systems, such as the motion of a spring or a pendulum. They can also be used to describe the behavior of electrical circuits and chemical reactions.

5. What are the steps for solving this differential equation?

To solve this second order linear ordinary differential equation, you would first need to find the complementary function by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for Y. Then, you would find the particular integral by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. Finally, you would combine the complementary function and particular integral to form the general solution.