Differential Equations not solvable

In summary: T0:"T0 is the time at which the blood glucose level has fallen to its normal level after a given amount of glucose has been ingested."From the text, it seems that they want you to make assumptions about the function.
bubblewrap
In the first image it shows the ##\alpha^2-w_0^2<0## situation whereas in the second image the situation is when ##\alpha^2-w_0^2=0##.The problem is the book says to use ##T_0=2\pi/w_0## to determine diabetes but you can't do that when ##\alpha^2-w_0^2=0## because it can't be put into a cosine function. What do I do in this situation?

Attachments

• 20160301_171641.jpg
    20160301_171641.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 20160301_171654.jpg
    20160301_171654.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the second image. Fig 2. has ##\alpha^2-\omega_0^2>0##, not = 0. But the picture doesn't look credible at all. It looks more like underdamped to me.

Your book makes a mess of things with "three types, depending on ##\alpha^2-\omega_0^2>0##, < 0 or zero. These three types correspond to overdamped, critically damped and underdamped cases".

Confusing, to put it mildly:
##\alpha^2-\omega_0^2>0 \qquad \Rightarrow ## overdamped
##\alpha^2-\omega_0^2=0 \qquad \Rightarrow ## critically damped
##\alpha^2-\omega_0^2<0 \qquad \Rightarrow ## underdamped​

Check out a better text, e.g. here

And yes, in the case of critical damping there are no oscillations.

By the way, I don't hear the book saying to use ##T_0##. Did you quote correctly ?

I meant Exercise 2 not the Figure 2, sorry for not pointing it out. And ##T_0## is on a different page, uploaded below.

Attachments

• 20160301_232417.jpg
    20160301_232417.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 400
It looks as if they want you to make quite some assumptions for this exercise: reliable measurements to begin with. G0 = 70. And no additional glucose dosing in between, ...

If glucose concentration goes from 95 via 65 to 75 that means something significant for T0 . Agree ?

( Could such measurements be consistent with critical damping ? )

The measurements can be consistent if the function is of the form ##(a-bt)e^{ct}## where ##a##,##b## and ##c## are positive. I don't know the actual meaning of ##T_0## but from the hint I guess it has got something to do with the level going down to normal again.

bubblewrap said:
The measurements can be consistent if the function is of the form ##(a−bt)e^{ct}## where a,b and c are positive
(I suppose you mean c is negative) Oh ? How do you come to that conclusion ?

94812oct2013.png
From http://www.uprh.edu/rbaretti/Glucose1.htm

Related to Differential Equations not solvable

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used in many fields of science and engineering to model real-life phenomena.

2. Can all differential equations be solved?

No, not all differential equations can be solved in terms of simple algebraic expressions. Some equations may require more advanced mathematical techniques or may not have a closed-form solution at all.

3. What does it mean when a differential equation is not solvable?

When a differential equation is not solvable, it means that a closed-form solution cannot be found for the equation. This does not mean that the equation is unsolvable, but rather that it may require more advanced methods or numerical approximations to find a solution.

4. What are some examples of differential equations that are not solvable?

Examples of differential equations that are not solvable include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, and the Schrödinger equation, which describes quantum mechanical systems. These equations have important real-world applications, but their solutions cannot be expressed in simple algebraic terms.

5. How are unsolvable differential equations used in science?

Unsolvable differential equations are used in science to model complex systems and phenomena that cannot be described by simple equations. These equations may require numerical approximations or simulations to find approximate solutions, which can still provide valuable insights and predictions for real-world applications.