Differential Nonlinearity: What happens when DNL = -1LSB

In summary, the question is about the effects of having a DNL of -1LSB in an ADC device. This indicates a deviation from the ideal step width and can result in missing codes in the transfer function. It is not desirable for an ADC to have DNL less than -1, as it can lead to non-monotonic behavior. This is typically a result of a faulty device and not a normal occurrence in properly functioning instruments. The confusion may have arisen from mixing up ADC and DAC devices, as missing codes only occur in ADCs and not DACs. Ultimately, having a DNL less than -1 in an ADC is considered a bad part and can cause issues with the device's performance.
Peter Alexander

Homework Statement

Question is simple: what happens when ##DNL = -1 LSB## where DNL signifies differential nonlinearity and LSB stands for Least Significant Bit. It is also required to try and sketch such condition.

Homework Equations

Equation for differential nonlinearity: $$DNL(i) = \frac{V_{out}(i) - V_{out}(i - 1)}{\text{ideal LSB step width}} - 1$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand what DNL is, is represent a deviation between two analog values corresponding to adjacent input digital values (from Wikipedia). Ideally, two sequential digital codes should belong to analog values that are 1LSB apart, so the deviation from such step is called DNL.

At ##DNL \leq -1LSB##, missing codes appear in the transfer function. Those are binary representations that have no such analog signal to cause them.

I am having troubles visualizing such case. What are the conditions that have to be met in order for this to occur? Is such case an example of bad analog-digital converter, or is it something that can happen to properly functional instruments as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you dealing with an ADC or a DAC? You seem to be mixing them.

Missing codes occur with ADC devices - not DAC devices. You are always allowed to enter any code into a DAC.
But if the DNL(i) is less than -1, what does that mean when you step from input code i-1 to i as input to your DAC?
You would normally want the DAC output to be monotonic as the digital input is stepped from 0 to ##2^n-1##.

If the device is spec'd for DNL > -1, then this would be a bad part.

Looking at your post again, I am suspecting that you were suppose to be looking at an ADC, but dug up a DAC wiki article instead. Isn't that the problem?

1. What is Differential Nonlinearity (DNL)?

Differential Nonlinearity (DNL) is a measure of the deviation of the actual output of a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) from the ideal output. It is typically expressed in terms of Least Significant Bit (LSB) and is used to evaluate the linearity of a DAC.

2. How is DNL calculated?

DNL is calculated by taking the difference between the actual output of a DAC and the ideal output, and then dividing it by the LSB value. This gives a measure of the deviation from the ideal output in terms of LSB.

3. What does it mean when DNL = -1LSB?

When DNL = -1LSB, it means that the actual output of the DAC is one LSB lower than the ideal output. This indicates a nonlinearity in the DAC, as the output is not following the expected pattern.

4. What are the implications of DNL = -1LSB?

DNL = -1LSB can have significant implications on the accuracy and precision of the DAC. It can result in errors in the output voltage, which can affect the overall performance of the system. It is important to minimize DNL in order to ensure the accuracy of the DAC.

5. How can DNL = -1LSB be corrected?

DNL = -1LSB can be corrected by calibrating the DAC or by using a correction algorithm. This involves measuring the actual output of the DAC and adjusting it to match the ideal output. Additionally, using high-quality components and proper circuit design can also help minimize DNL.