Differentiating a particular integral (retarded potential)

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which a particular equality holds for a function ##\phi## and the concept of a Lorenz gauge retarded electric potential, as well as the desired proof for another equality involving a function ##\rho##. Various assumptions and lemmas are mentioned, but the desired result has not yet been achieved. The speaker asks for help in achieving the desired result.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends! Under particular conditions on ##\phi:\mathbb{R}^3\times\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## - I think, as said here, that it is sufficient that ##\phi\in C_c^1(\mathbb{R}^4)##: please correct me if I am wrong - the following equality holds$$\frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\phi(\boldsymbol{l},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{r}-\boldsymbol{l}\|)}{\|\boldsymbol{r}-\boldsymbol{l}\|} d\mu_{\boldsymbol{l}}= \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\partial}{\partial r_k}\left(\frac{\phi(\boldsymbol{l})}{\|\boldsymbol{r}-\boldsymbol{l}\|}\right) d\mu_{\boldsymbol{l}}$$where the integral is a Lebesgue integral.
Let $$V(\boldsymbol{x},t):=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0}\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|)}{\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|} d\mu_{\boldsymbol{y}},$$ which can be interpretated as a Lorenz gauge retarded electric potential in physics if ##\varepsilon_0## is permittivity, and let ##\rho## be under the assumptions stated for ##\phi## above. Then, by differentiating under the integral sign, we get$$\nabla_x V(\boldsymbol{x},t)=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0}\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} -\frac{\dot\rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|)}{c} \frac{\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}}{\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|^2} -\rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|) \frac{\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}}{\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|^3} d\mu_{\boldsymbol{y}}$$where ##\dot\rho## is the partial derivative taken with respect to the second argument.

I would like to prove to myself that ##V## satisfies the equality $$\nabla_x^2 V(\boldsymbol{x},t)=-\frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{x},t)}{\varepsilon_0}+\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 V(\boldsymbol{x},t)}{\partial t^2}$$which I think to be satisfied by imposing such assumptions on ##\rho##, usual in physics.
I think that we cannot differentiate another time under the integral with respect to ##x_1##, ##x_2##, ##x_3## because informal derivations that I have found of the above equality (as in D.J. Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics) introduce ##\delta## not to get a zero Lebesgue integral. Of course I am trying to get a mathematical proof, a rigourous one, and I know that, if we write a ##\delta##, there must be a mathematical justification for that: ##\forall\varphi\in C_c^2(\mathbb{R}^3)## ## \int_{\mathbb{R}^3}\frac{\nabla_y^2\varphi(\mathbf{y})}{\| \mathbf{x}-\mathbf{y}\|}d\mu_{\mathbf{y}}=-4\pi \varphi(\mathbf{x}),## while ##\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \varphi(\mathbf{y}) \nabla_x^2 \left( \frac{1}{\| \mathbf{x}-\mathbf{y}\|} \right) d\mu_{\mathbf{y}}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \varphi(\mathbf{y})\cdot 0 \,d\mu_{\mathbf{y}}####=0##.
Could anybody help me to take the divergence of ##\nabla_x V## to prove that ##\nabla_x^2 V=-\frac{\rho}{\varepsilon_0}+\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial t^2}##?
I ##\infty##-ly thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that another lemma (proved here) useful to prove the desired equality may be: if ##\rho\in C_c^k(\mathbb{R}^4)## and ##f:\mathbb{R^3}\mapsto \mathbb{R}## is locally summable (as ##\boldsymbol{z}\mapsto 1/\|\boldsymbol{y}\|## is), then for any , then we can differentiate under the integral sign in the following way:$$D_{(\boldsymbol{x},t)}^\alpha \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} f(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}) \rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|)d\mu_{\boldsymbol{y}}= \int_{\mathbb{R}^3}f(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y})D_{(\boldsymbol{y},t)}^\alpha\rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|) d\mu_{\boldsymbol{y}}$$where ##D^\alpha## are the partial derivatives of order ##\le k##.
Nevertheless I have not been able to reach the desired result yet...
Could anybody give me help? I heartily thank you all!

Errata corrige: I think that another lemma (proved here) useful to prove the desired equality may be: if ##\rho\in C_c^k(\mathbb{R}^4)## and ##f:\mathbb{R^3}\mapsto \mathbb{R}## is locally summable (as ##\boldsymbol{z}\mapsto 1/\|\boldsymbol{y}\|## is), then for any , then we can differentiate under the integral sign in the following way:$$D_{(\boldsymbol{x},t)}^\alpha \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} f(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}) \rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|)d\mu_{\boldsymbol{y}}= \int_{\mathbb{R}^3}f(\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y})D_{(\boldsymbol{\xi},t)}^\alpha\rho(\boldsymbol{y},t-c^{-1}\|\boldsymbol{x}-\boldsymbol{y}\|) d\mu_{\boldsymbol{y}}$$where ##D^\alpha## are the partial derivatives of order ##\le k## and ##\boldsymbol{\xi}=(\xi_1,\xi_2,\xi_3)## are the first three variables of ##\rho:(\boldsymbol{\xi},\tau)\mapsto\rho(\boldsymbol{\xi},\tau) ##.
Nevertheless I have not been able to reach the desired result yet...
Could anybody give me help? I heartily thank you all![/QUOTE]

1. What is a particular integral in the context of differentiation?

A particular integral is the solution to a differential equation that satisfies the given boundary conditions. It is a specific solution that is added to the general solution of a differential equation to obtain a complete solution.

2. How does one differentiate a particular integral?

To differentiate a particular integral, you can use the chain rule. First, substitute the particular integral into the derivative. Then, differentiate the particular integral using the chain rule and simplify the resulting expression.

3. What is the purpose of differentiating a particular integral?

The purpose of differentiating a particular integral is to find the derivative of a specific solution to a differential equation. This can be useful in solving problems related to physics, engineering, and other fields where differential equations are commonly used.

4. Are there any special techniques for differentiating a particular integral?

Yes, there are some special techniques that can be used to differentiate particular integrals. These include the use of integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities. These techniques can help simplify the process and make it easier to differentiate the particular integral.

5. Can a particular integral be differentiated more than once?

Yes, a particular integral can be differentiated multiple times. Each time it is differentiated, the resulting expression will have a higher order derivative. This may be necessary in some cases to solve more complex problems.