Differntial equations & Polar Coords

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary: No, when r=sqrt(a) then the invariant set is the circle with radius sqrt(a), or is it not? What can I say about b?ONE of the invariant sets is the circle of radius sqrt(a), if a is positive and b is nonzero. And r=0 is an invariant set no matter what a or b is. Keep thinking along those...lines.
Firepanda
nzofmo.png

Let Q = theta

Let z=reiQ

z' = (a+ib)reiQ - z|z|2

|z|2 = r

so

z' = a*reiQ + ib*reiQ - r2eiQ

Also

z' = ireiQ

The question asks for 2 differential equations, but I really have no idea where I'm going with this..

Any help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, if z=r*exp(iQ) then z'=r'*exp(iQ)+r*i*Q'*exp(iQ). Use the product rule. Both r and Q are functions. Now try and separate into real and imaginary parts.

Dick said:
No, if z=r*exp(iQ) then z'=r'*exp(iQ)+r*i*Q'*exp(iQ). Use the product rule. Both r and Q are functions. Now try and separate into real and imaginary parts.

Ah ok!

Would I be right in saying my two ODE's are now

r' = ar - r2

Q' = b

by equating coefficients?

Any idea on how to find the invariant sets? Do I have to solve thiese coupled ODE's somewhow?

Thanks

Firepanda said:
Ah ok!

Would I be right in saying my two ODE's are now

r' = ar - r2

Q' = b

by equating coefficients?

Any idea on how to find the invariant sets? Do I have to solve thiese coupled ODE's somewhow?

Thanks

That's not quite what I get for the r'. I'm not quite sure what your definition of 'invariant set' is, but the equations are coming out to be uncoupled. So they should be pretty easy to solve.

Dick said:
That's not quite what I get for the r'. I'm not quite sure what your definition of 'invariant set' is, but the equations are coming out to be uncoupled. So they should be pretty easy to solve.

hmm I used

was that not correct?

My definition of invariant set is starting at some initial condition within the set, for all t>0 then you'll still be within the set.

So since they're uncoupled

r(t) = some function with r(0) and eat (yet to work it out - messy rearranging, and you say it's incorrect)

Q(t) = bt + Q(0)

Is it a trial and error thing for invariant? I don't know any method for it.

Thanks

Firepanda said:
hmm I used

was that not correct?

My definition of invariant set is starting at some initial condition within the set, for all t>0 then you'll still be within the set.

So since they're uncoupled

r(t) = some function with r(0) and eat (yet to work it out - messy rearranging, and you say it's incorrect)

Q(t) = bt + Q(0)

Is it a trial and error thing for invariant? I don't know any method for it.

Thanks

In r' = ar - r^2, I'm questioning whether the r^2 is right. Go way back to the beginning. And for the invariant set try plotting some solutions for fixed values of a and b and see what they look like.

Dick said:
In r' = ar - r^2, I'm questioning whether the r^2 is right. Go way back to the beginning. And for the invariant set try plotting some solutions for fixed values of a and b and see what they look like.

oh is it r^3?

Am I right in thinking I should be integrating 1/ar-r3 between r(0) and r(t)

I just did the integration but the rearrangement into r(t) looks impossible

Dick said:
Yes, it's r^3. r'=ar-r^3 is separable. You can integrate it with partial fractions.

Yeah and I have 1/2a (2log(r) - log(r2-a))

The problem is when I integrate between r(0) and r(t) I get an expression in the form that has an r(t)a and an r(t)2

So it seems impossible for me to get r(t) out of the expression...

Firepanda said:
oh is it r^3?

Am I right in thinking I should be integrating 1/ar-r3 between r(0) and r(t)

I just did the integration but the rearrangement into r(t) looks impossible

Yes, it's r^3. Solving for r doesn't look that hard to me. I'm not sure where this is going as far as the invariant sets part.

If it's any help notice that solutions with an initial value r(0) that satisfies r(0)^2=a are pretty simple. Try thinking about it starting from that.

Oops double post

Last edited:
Perhaps I shouldn't even be trying to integrate it then.

I have the fact that

(r',Q') = M(r,Q) (both column vectors, M is a matrix)

So when r = 0 and b = 0 then the invariant set is just the point (0,0)

When r=sqrt(a) then the invariant set is the circle with radius sqrt(a), or is it not? What can I say about b?

ONE of the invariant sets is the circle of radius sqrt(a), if a is positive and b is nonzero. And r=0 is an invariant set no matter what a or b is. Keep thinking along those lines.

Ok this is what I have do far:

The equilibrium point, (0,0) is an invariant set. Because when r=0 r'=0, and we don't care about the angle, so b (and a) can be anything.

When r = root a, and angle Q(t) = bt + Q(0), so the angle change is linear, so this is a circle. Can I show it's an invariant set by showing this is a periodic orbit somehow?

I just solved the system using Matlab with script:

vdpol.m:

function ydot=vdpol(t,y)
a=1;
b=1
ydot=[a*y(1)-y(1)^3; b];

vdpolrun.m

clear
tspan=[0 200];
y0= [0.5; 0];
[t,y]=ode45(@vdpol,tspan,y0);
polar(y(:,2),y(:,1))

And whatever initial condition I take the solution is always the periodic orbit with radius root a, how can I mathematically show this is the case for every initial condition, and hence every initial condition within the circle?

Does this mean there are infinitely many invariant sets? Since a can take any positive value?

Firepanda said:
I just solved the system using Matlab with script:

vdpol.m:

function ydot=vdpol(t,y)
a=1;
b=1
ydot=[a*y(1)-y(1)^3; b];

vdpolrun.m

clear
tspan=[0 200];
y0= [0.5; 0];
[t,y]=ode45(@vdpol,tspan,y0);
polar(y(:,2),y(:,1))

And whatever initial condition I take the solution is always the periodic orbit with radius root a, how can I mathematically show this is the case for every initial condition, and hence every initial condition within the circle?

Does this mean there are infinitely many invariant sets? Since a can take any positive value?

I really don't know what that means and I'm not an expert with invariant sets. But if one of your solutions is a circle and the other is a point and you know the solutions don't cross (how?) then what can you conclude? I suggest you analyze the qualitative behavior of the solutions inside the circle and outside. And the solutions might be pretty different if b=0 or a<0.

Related to Differntial equations & Polar Coords

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It involves the use of derivatives, which represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point.

2. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also widely used in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields.

3. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a method of describing the position of a point in a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line. They are often used in situations where a point's position is more easily described in terms of distance and direction rather than Cartesian coordinates.

4. How are polar coordinates related to differential equations?

Polar coordinates are often used in the study of differential equations because they can simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. This is because some differential equations have solutions that are more easily expressed in polar coordinates.

5. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations in polar coordinates?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations in polar coordinates include separation of variables, substitution, and the use of special functions such as Bessel functions and Legendre polynomials. The choice of method depends on the specific form of the differential equation.