Difficult Coulombs Law questions

In summary, the equilibrium condition for the charges is that there is a +ve charge between -Q and +Q and that the third charge is placed closer to -Q.
Basher

Homework Statement

Q1.Two Charges, -Q and -3Q, are a distance l apart. The two charges are free to move but don't because there is a third charge nearby. What must the third charge be and where must it be placed for the first two to be in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law: F = k.qQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what do you think would be the first step to do? (if the two charges are -ve, would they repel or attract one another? Hence where should the third charge be placed such the charges do not move, between or outside the charges?)Draw the free-body diagram and put in the charges and distances.

rock.freak667 said:
Well what do you think would be the first step to do? (if the two charges are -ve, would they repel or attract one another? Hence where should the third charge be placed such the charges do not move?)

Yes I do know I must place a +ve charge between them, sorry I should have mentioned that however it's the magnitudes. It must be closer to the smaller charge.

Define a coordinate system and place the positive charge at an arbitrary distance from one of the negative charges. Call this distance x+. Can you write out the equilibrium condition for both negative charges in terms of x+?

ideasrule said:
Define a coordinate system and place the positive charge at an arbitrary distance from one of the negative charges. Call this distance x+. Can you write out the equilibrium condition for both negative charges in terms of x+?

So the distance between -Q and +Q is x - l? I'm lost with this one. you may have to elaborate.

It's l-x, because l is larger. I think you should draw out the configuration, placing all three charges along the x axis. For convenience, put one of the negative charges at x=0.

Basher said:
So the distance between -Q and +Q is x - l? I'm lost with this one. you may have to elaborate.

ah wait the distance between -Q and +Q is x. The distance between -Q and -3Q is L. And the distance between +Q and -3Q is L - x. Yes diagrams do help!

1. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it work?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that describes the relationship between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are some common difficulties encountered when solving Coulomb's Law problems?

Some common difficulties when solving Coulomb's Law problems include understanding how to calculate the force between multiple charged particles, determining the direction of the force, and dealing with vector quantities.

3. How do you handle situations where there are multiple charged particles and forces acting on each other?

In these situations, it is important to break down the problem into smaller parts and consider each force and its direction separately. You can then use vector addition to find the net force acting on each charged particle.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between non-point charges. However, in these cases, the charges may need to be broken down into smaller point charges and the forces between them can be calculated using vector addition.

5. What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many applications in our daily lives, including in the functioning of electronic devices, the behavior of electrically charged particles in the atmosphere, and the operation of electrical motors and generators.