Difficult Elastic Collision problem between two springs

In summary, that is not how the homework forum operates around here. You have to make your attempt first. Then we can offer assistance.
physicsguy1011
Homework Statement
HI, I’m trying to get better at physics problems while I’m out of school. I’ve been trying these problems over and over and cant seem to get them. I dont have a teacher to help me so I’m wondering if any of you could help. I was hoping I could see how you solve the problem, and what answers you get. Thanks for the help in advance!!!
Relevant Equations
Elastic potential energy
Linear momentum
Impulse
Conservation of momentum
Elastic collision
203C3019-8B65-4110-87AF-A31336E4555A.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not how the homework forum operates around here. You have to make your attempt first. Then we can offer assistance.

jbriggs444 said:
That is not how the homework forum operates around here. You have to make your attempt first. Then we can offer assistance.

This is where I am so far. I know that the potential energy of a spring is equal to the change in kinetic energy of an object that hits the spring, but that's for a non elastic object that comes into contact with the spring. I am lost when it comes to the fact that there are two elastic objects coming into contact with each-other. So my solution is not that in depth yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 409
Can you write down an equation that relates the compression of object 1 to the compression of object 2? Say, for instance the compression at a time when the force between the two objects is equal to F (any F will do).

Behind the scenes, I have realized that there are too many variables here and not enough equations. We know how much kinetic energy has to be absorbed, but we have two places it can be stored. We need to be able to write down another equation so we can figure out how it will end up being divided.

Likes physicsguy1011 and etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
Behind the scenes, I have realized that there are too many variables here and not enough equations. We know how much kinetic energy has to be absorbed, but we have two places it can be stored. We need to be able to write down another equation so we can figure out how it will end up being divided.
Doesn't Newton's 3rd law provide that equation? Note that ##V_{cm}=0##.

Likes physicsguy1011 and jbriggs444
kuruman said:
Doesn't Newton's 3rd law provide that equation? Note that ##V_{cm}=0##.
Right. I was skipping past the invocation of Newton's third on the [perhaps mistaken] idea that it was too obvious to mention.

The question is well-crafted in that some of the given information may be redundant, but it is internally consistent. One can get the relation between ##x_1## and ##x_2## either by using Newton's 3rd using the spring constants or by considering that the ratio of distances to the center of mass is and remains constant. Once the velocities are chosen, the spring constant ratio is fixed.

Now that I think about it, the two springs can be replaced with an equivalent spring in which case one does not need to worry about a second equation.

Likes physicsguy1011
I’m not sure I understand this

physicsguy1011 said:
This is where I am so far. I know that the potential energy of a spring is equal to the change in kinetic energy of an object that hits the spring, but that's for a non elastic object that comes into contact with the spring. I am lost when it comes to the fact that there are two elastic objects coming into contact with each-other. So my solution is not that in depth yet.
They expect to to model this as two point masses with springs attached at their leading ends, with the unextended lengths of the springs equal to the radius of each ball.

physicsguy1011 said:
I am lost when it comes to the fact that there are two elastic objects coming into contact with each-other.
Your doubts are well founded. In reality, this is a problem in "massive springs", i.e. springs whose masses cannot be neglected. Worse, they are non-uniform.
This leads to all sorts of complexities, such as internal oscillations, varying area of contact and non-uniform compression.

To make it tractable, you are expected to model it as two point masses, each with a spring attached. You can do this either by considering the compression of each and the relationship between the two compression forces at any instant, or by using the formula for the effective spring constant for springs in series and treating them as a single spring.

Likes jbriggs444 and Chestermiller

1. What is an elastic collision between two springs?

An elastic collision between two springs is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the energy and momentum after the collision.

2. How do you solve a difficult elastic collision problem between two springs?

To solve a difficult elastic collision problem between two springs, you need to use the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. This involves setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables using algebraic methods.

3. What are the key factors that affect the outcome of an elastic collision between two springs?

The key factors that affect the outcome of an elastic collision between two springs are the masses of the springs, the initial velocities of the springs, and the stiffness of the springs. These factors determine the amount of energy and momentum involved in the collision.

4. Can an elastic collision between two springs be completely elastic?

Yes, an elastic collision between two springs can be completely elastic if there is no loss of energy due to friction or other external factors. In a completely elastic collision, the two springs will bounce off each other with the same velocities as before the collision.

5. How does the difficulty of an elastic collision problem between two springs affect the solution?

The difficulty of an elastic collision problem between two springs can affect the solution in terms of the complexity of the equations and the number of unknown variables. More difficult problems may require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve, such as calculus or numerical methods.