Difficulty in understanding step in Deriving WKB approximation

In summary, the authors show that the semiclassical Schrodinger equation can be solved using an ansatz that assumes the amplitude ##A(\vec{r})## is a function of the position ##\vec{r}##, and the phase ##S(\vec{r})## is a function of ##\vec{r}## and the classical momentum ##p##. They then show that the resulting equation has an amplitude and phase terms that are equal and opposite in sign.
curious_mind
TL;DR Summary
I am not able to understand the calculation step in deriving WKB approximation given in Quantum Mechanics book of Zettili. It is more related to Vector Calculus though.
In Zettili book, it is given that ## \nabla^2 \psi \left( \vec{r} \right) + \dfrac{1}{\hbar ^2} p^2 \left( \vec{r} \right) \psi ( \vec{r} ) =0 ## where ## \hbar## is very small and ##p## is classical momentum.
Now they assumed the ansatz that ## \psi ( \vec{r} ) = A ( \vec{r} ) e^{i S( \vec{r} ) / \hbar} ## , where ##A(\vec{r})## is amplitude and ##S(\vec{r})## is phase. Now they write that substituting this ansatz into the above semiclassical Schrodinger equation, it is obtained :
## A \left [ \dfrac{\hbar^2}{A} \nabla^2 A - ( \vec{\nabla} S )^2 + p^2(\vec{r}) \right] + i \hbar \left[ 2 \left( \vec{\nabla} A \right) \cdot \left( \vec{\nabla} S \right) + A \nabla^2 S \right] =0 ##.

I am not exactly how I this expression can be obtained. I have tried to use laplacian operator property given in https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_calculus_identities

$$ \nabla^2 (fg) = f \nabla^2 g + g \nabla^2 f + 2 \nabla f ~~ \nabla g $$.

But still I am not able to arrive at that expression given. Can anyone tell me about laplacian operator's chain rule. I think it can be applicable here for getting laplacian of term ## e^{i S( \vec{r} ) / \hbar} ## .Or is there any other way around. Using simple formula for laplacian in spherical coordinates is also giving me cumbersome expressions, not equal to this one. Where am I mistaken ?
Any help or hint would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chain rules for vector derivative operators are most easily derived using cartesian coordinates:[tex]
\begin{split}
\nabla^2g(f) &= \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x_i\,\partial x_i}g(f) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\left(g'(f)\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}\right)\\
&= g''(f) \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} + g'(f)\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x_i\,\partial x_i} \\
&= g''(f)\nabla f \cdot \nabla f + g'(f)\nabla^2 f.
\end{split}
[/tex]

Likes curious_mind and vanhees71
Ok thanks, using your expression - ## \nabla^2 (e^{i S(\vec{r}) / \hbar}) ## simplifies into the form that is derived into the book. But if I apply spherical laplacian on ## \nabla^2 (e^{i S(\vec{r}) / \hbar}) ##, I am getting one additional term involving ## \nabla S## which is not supposed to be obtained. But using the chain rule you obtained I am able to get that's why I want to know what is my exact mistake.

Is the expression I wrote from wikipedia is also for cartesian coordinates ? Because if I use that and then applying spherical laplacian on - ## \nabla^2 (e^{i S(\vec{r}) / \hbar}) ## I am not getting the expression derived in the book.

These are some obvious mistakes from my side but I am quite weak at math sometimes :) .

Last edited:
These expressions are written in manifestly covariant form and thus are independent of the choice of coordinates. You only have to be careful when applying ##\Delta## to a vector. There you should use Cartesian components or use the mainfestly covariant definition
$$\Delta \vec{A}=\vec{\nabla} (\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A})-\vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{A}),$$
but this special case isn't needed for your calculation, because you deal with the Laplacian applied to a scalar field.

Which formula for the Laplacian in spherical coordinates have you used?

• Informative
Likes curious_mind
## \nabla^2 f = \dfrac{1}{r^2} \dfrac{\partial }{\partial r} \left ( r^2 \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial r} \right ) + \dfrac{1}{r \sin \theta} \dfrac{\partial }{\partial \theta} \left ( \sin \theta \dfrac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \right ) + \dfrac{1}{r^2 \sin^2 \theta} \dfrac{ \partial^2 f} { \partial \phi^2} ##

Here, ##r^2## need to be multiplied while taking partial derivative with respect to r. There is no ## \theta ## and ## \phi ## dependence, so those terms will be 0.

Why shouldn't there be ##\theta## and ##\phi## dependence in your problem?

Likes atyy and curious_mind
Oh okay, it is written ## \vec{r} ##, so it would mean ## (r, \theta, \phi) ## ? So yes, there will be. I had misunderstood it completely. Thanks for pointing it out, otherwise there would be no point of using Laplacian form of ## \nabla^2 ##.

The mistake I was making also I understood. I used spherical coordinates to differentiate, and then after converting back into vector calculus form I was using cartesian one. That is why confusion arised.

Like, I was taking ## \dfrac{1}{r^2} \dfrac{\partial^2 S}{\partial r^2} ## as ## \nabla^2 S ## but I can't do that in spherical, I have to write ## \dfrac{1}{r^2} \dfrac{ \partial }{\partial r} \left( r^2 S \right )## as ## \nabla^2 S ##. So this was main mistake. And it was when I wrongly neglected dependence of ##\theta## and ##\phi##. But now confusion is cleared. Thanks.

Actually whole calculation was lengthy that's why I did not post here, but it seems I should have written whole things. :)

Likes atyy and vanhees71

1. What is the WKB approximation method?

The WKB (Wentzel-Kramers-Brillouin) approximation method is a mathematical technique used to approximate solutions to differential equations, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is based on the idea that the solution can be written as a sum of rapidly oscillating functions, which can be simplified using certain approximations.

2. Why is the WKB approximation useful?

The WKB approximation is useful because it provides a way to solve differential equations that do not have exact solutions. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where many equations are difficult to solve exactly, but can be approximated using this method.

3. What are the steps involved in deriving the WKB approximation?

The steps involved in deriving the WKB approximation include converting the differential equation into a simpler form, applying the WKB ansatz (a trial solution), and using certain approximations to simplify the resulting equations. The final step is to match the WKB solution with the exact solution at certain points, known as turning points.

4. What are some common difficulties in understanding the WKB approximation?

One common difficulty in understanding the WKB approximation is the application of the WKB ansatz, which requires knowledge of the form of the solution beforehand. Another difficulty is understanding the concept of turning points and how they affect the WKB solution. Additionally, the approximations used in the WKB method can be challenging to grasp for some individuals.

5. Can the WKB approximation be used for all differential equations?

No, the WKB approximation is not applicable to all differential equations. It is most commonly used for second-order differential equations with slowly varying coefficients. Other types of equations may require different methods for approximation.