Diffraction Grating and Visible Light

In summary: Because the second order maximum value is greater than the third order minimum, those would overlap. The first and second order do not overlap because the maximum of the 1st will never exceed the value for the 2nd order.In summary, the first and second order spectra will never overlap regardless of grating spacing, while the second and third order spectra will always overlap. This can
KennedYeti

Homework Statement

"You're using a diffraction grating o view the 400 to 700 nm visible spectrum. Suppose you can see the spectrum through the third order. a) Show that the first and second order spectra never overlap regardless of grating spacing. b) show that the second and third order spectra always overlap.

Homework Equations

n λ = dsinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

for violet light 400nm
sinΘv = 1 × 400⋅10^-9 / 1/400/1000 = sin^-1(400⋅10^-9 / 1/400/1000) = 9.21°
for red light 700nm
sinΘv = 1 × 700⋅10^-9 / 1/700/1000 = sin^-1(700⋅10^-9 / 1/700/1000) = 29.34°

At this point I am completely lost. Any guidance on moving forward would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
KennedYeti said:

Homework Statement

"You're using a diffraction grating o view the 400 to 700 nm visible spectrum. Suppose you can see the spectrum through the third order. a) Show that the first and second order spectra never overlap regardless of grating spacing. b) show that the second and third order spectra always overlap.

Homework Equations

n λ = dsinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

for violet light 400nm
sinΘv = 1 × 400⋅10^-9 / 1/400/1000 = sin^-1(400⋅10^-9 / 1/400/1000) = 9.21°
for red light 700nm
sinΘv = 1 × 700⋅10^-9 / 1/700/1000 = sin^-1(700⋅10^-9 / 1/700/1000) = 29.34°

At this point I am completely lost. Any guidance on moving forward would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The grating spacing(d) is not given. You can not get the numerical values of theta.

ehild said:
The grating spacing(d) is not given. You can not get the numerical values of theta.
That is the problem in its entirety. I do not know how to determine the answer when so many variables are missing. I asked my instructor but they said. "What is the maximum angle that the light can be diffracted?" Super Confused!

KennedYeti said:
That is the problem in its entirety. I do not know how to determine the answer when so many variables are missing. I asked my instructor but they said. "What is the maximum angle that the light can be diffracted?" Super Confused!
What does it mean that you have first, second and third order spectra? Which letter means the order?

Express sin(theta) in terms of d, for the red and violet light for spectra of all the three orders,

ehild said:
What does it mean that you have first, second and third order spectra? Which letter means the order?

Express sin(theta) in terms of d, for the red and violet light for spectra of all the three orders,
I am assuming that it means that I have the first, second and third bright fringe and that the first and second will never overlap and the 2nd and 3rd will.

Y
KennedYeti said:
I am assuming that it means that I have the first, second and third bright fringe and that the first and second will never overlap and the 2nd and 3rd will.
Those bright fringes are complete spectra.

upload_2017-3-25_21-24-32.png

What do the letters mean in the formula n λ = dsinΘ?
Express sinΘv and sinΘr in terms of d.

ehild said:
Y

Those bright fringes are complete spectra.

View attachment 115029

What do the letters mean in the formula n λ = dsinΘ?
Express sinΘv and sinΘr in terms of d.

n = the bright fringe , λ = wavelength, d = space between each line, Θ = angle that the order is seen.

min = 400nm
max = 700nm
For first order on each end of the spectrum it would be
sinθmin = nλ / d = θ = arcsin(n(400) / d)
sinθmax = nλ / d = θ = arcsin(n(700) / d)

second order would be
sinθmin = 2nλ / d = θ = arcsin(2(400) / d) = arcsin(800/ d)
sinθmax = 2nλ / d = θ = arcsin(2(700) / d) = arcsin(1400 / d)

Third order would be
sinθmin = 3nλ / d = θ = arcsin(3(400) / d) = arcsin(1200n / d)
sinθmax = 3nλ / d = θ = arcsin(3(700) / d) = arcsin(2100n / d)

Because the second order maximum value is greater than the third order minimum, those would overlap. The first and second order do not overlap because the maximum of the 1st will never exceed the value for the 2nd order.

KennedYeti said:
n = the bright fringe , λ = wavelength, d = space between each line, Θ = angle that the order is seen.
See: http://www.physics.smu.edu/~scalise/emmanual/diffraction/lab.html
n is a number, not a fringe. It is the order of the diffraction spectrum, produced by the diffraction grating.
What do you mean on "line"? d is the grating constant, the spacing between the scratches on the grating.
Θ is the angle a light ray of certain color is deflected.
KennedYeti said:
min = 400nm
max = 700nm
For first order on each end of the spectrum it would be
sinθmin = nλ / d = θ = arcsin(n(400) / d)
sinθmax = nλ / d = θ = arcsin(n(700) / d)
For the first order n=1.
KennedYeti said:
second order would be
sinθmin = 2nλ / d = θ = arcsin(2(400) / d) = arcsin(800/ d)
sinθmax = 2nλ / d = θ = arcsin(2(700) / d) = arcsin(1400 / d)

Third order would be
sinθmin = 3nλ / d = θ = arcsin(3(400) / d) = arcsin(1200n / d)
sinθmax = 3nλ / d = θ = arcsin(3(700) / d) = arcsin(2100n / d)

Because the second order maximum value is greater than the third order minimum, those would overlap. The first and second order do not overlap because the maximum of the 1st will never exceed the value for the 2nd order.

You solved the problem at last.

ehild said:
See: http://www.physics.smu.edu/~scalise/emmanual/diffraction/lab.html
n is a number, not a fringe. It is the order of the diffraction spectrum, produced by the diffraction grating.
What do you mean on "line"? d is the grating constant, the spacing between the scratches on the grating.
Θ is the angle a light ray of certain color is deflected.

For the first order n=1.You solved the problem at last.
Thanks for the help. I was making that waaaaaay to difficult for some reason.

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device with closely spaced parallel lines or grooves that diffract light into its component wavelengths. It works by causing light waves to interfere with each other, producing a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

2. How does a diffraction grating separate visible light?

A diffraction grating separates visible light by causing different wavelengths of light to diffract at different angles. This results in the formation of a spectrum, with shorter wavelengths (such as blue light) diffracting at a larger angle than longer wavelengths (such as red light).

3. What is the relationship between the number of lines on a diffraction grating and its resolving power?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating is directly proportional to the number of lines on the grating. This means that the more lines present, the greater the separation between wavelengths and the more accurate the measurement of the wavelengths of light.

4. What is the difference between a transmission and reflection diffraction grating?

A transmission diffraction grating allows light to pass through the grating, while a reflection diffraction grating reflects light off of its surface. Transmission gratings are typically made of glass or plastic, while reflection gratings are often made of metal or coated with a reflective material.

5. How is a diffraction grating used in scientific research?

Diffraction gratings are commonly used in scientific research to analyze the light emitted or absorbed by different substances. They are also used in spectrometers to measure the wavelengths of light emitted by stars and other celestial bodies, providing valuable information about their composition and temperature.