Diffraction grating sum, 1 mark mcq question (a level)

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the number of transmitted maxima in a diffraction grating problem. The formula used was dsin∅=nλ and the value of sin(90°) was discussed in relation to the diffraction angle. The answer was originally thought to be 7, but it was suggested that it could be 15 due to the symmetry of the system. The conversation also included a request for help with two other diffraction problems.
mutineer123

Homework Statement

Im having a bit trouble with diffraction gratings lately, with sums like this:
A parallel beam of light of wavelength 450 nm falls normally on a diffraction grating which has
300 lines /mm.
What is the total number of transmitted maxima?
A 7
B 8
C 14
D 15

Homework Equations

dsin∅=nλ

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my answer has no reasoning, so you might as well not read it:
I took d as 3.33X10^-6, lambda as 450 X 10^-9, and ∅as 90(to be honest I don't really know why I took it as 90!)

Can anyone redirect me to a good diffraction grating video/website if they know of any? I really neeed to understand how to plug in units into the formulae.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your numbers are correct. Put them in the equation to get n

Emilyjoint said:
Your numbers are correct. Put them in the equation to get n

I did I am getting 7, but its wrong(can u also tell me why we take sin 90?)

mutineer123 said:
I did I am getting 7, but its wrong(can u also tell me why we take sin 90?)

sin(90°) = 1 is the largest real value that sin(θ) can have. In other words 90° is the limit for possible diffraction angle magnitude. Rearrange the diffraction grating formula and you have

##sin(\theta) = n\frac{\lambda}{d}##

Clearly n can only take values that result in the R.H.S. being less than or equal to one.

Note that the system is symmetric about the center line from the diffraction grating to the projected image. That means maxima will occur on both sides of the center line with the same angular spacing (and there is also a central maximum on the center line).

I also got 7 (7.4 which must be
Deleted something
Sorry. I was going to give an answer

Last edited:
some more ! n is number of orders so 7.4 must be rounded down to 7 (can't have 0.4 of an order)

Emilyjoint said:
some more ! n is number of orders so 7.4 must be rounded down to 7 (can't have 0.4 of an order)
The answers not 7, and it embarrassing for me, but i forgot the right answer(its def not 7 because i got that, which was not right). But i think the guy above you may be right when he talked about symmetry, it could be 15 i think. because 7X2=14 + 1 for the central maxima

gneill said:
sin(90°) = 1 is the largest real value that sin(θ) can have. In other words 90° is the limit for possible diffraction angle magnitude. Rearrange the diffraction grating formula and you have

Clearly n can only take values that result in the R.H.S. being less than or equal to one.

Note that the system is symmetric about the center line from the diffraction grating to the projected image. That means maxima will occur on both sides of the center line with the same angular spacing (and there is also a central maximum on the center line).

Thnks

gneill said:

gneill, can you help me in two other diffraction sums i am having problems with?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3855002&posted=1#post3855002

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3855015#post3855015

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is diffraction grating sum?

Diffraction grating sum refers to the total number of bright fringes produced when a beam of light passes through a diffraction grating. It is calculated by adding the number of slits in the grating to the number of orders of diffraction.

2. How is the diffraction grating sum related to the wavelength of light?

The diffraction grating sum is directly proportional to the wavelength of light. This means that as the wavelength increases, the number of bright fringes also increases.

3. What is the significance of the diffraction grating sum in spectroscopy?

The diffraction grating sum is important in spectroscopy as it allows us to determine the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by a substance. By measuring the position of the bright fringes, we can calculate the diffraction grating sum and use it to determine the wavelength of light.

4. How does the number of slits in a diffraction grating affect the diffraction grating sum?

The number of slits in a diffraction grating directly affects the diffraction grating sum. As the number of slits increases, the diffraction grating sum also increases, resulting in a greater number of bright fringes.

5. Can the diffraction grating sum be negative?

No, the diffraction grating sum cannot be negative as it represents the total number of bright fringes, which cannot be less than zero. If the diffraction grating sum is calculated to be negative, it is likely due to an error in measurement or calculation.