Digamma function and Harmonic numbers

In summary: H_{0}$ is in any case undefined...Avoiding any type of useless controversial I symply say that the function $\displaystyle \psi(*)$ is, in my opinion, badly defined and leads sometimes to difficulties so that I prefer to use the function $\displaystyle \phi(*)$ that leads to 'secure results'... My opinion of course... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the digamma function and its relationship to the gamma function and factorial function. The digamma function is defined differently by different sources, leading to discrepancies in its values, particularly for $\psi(1)$. The speaker prefers to use the function $\phi
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Prove the following :

$\displaystyle \psi(n)= -\gamma \,+\,\sum^{n-1}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k}$​

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Prove the following :

$\displaystyle \psi(n)= -\gamma \,+\,\sum^{n-1}_{k=1}\frac{1}{k}$​

In...

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426/

... it has been demonstrated that, if $\displaystyle \phi(*)$ is the 'digamma function', then is ...

$\displaystyle \phi(n)= - \gamma + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{1+k}$ (1)

The little 'discrepancy' is probably justified from the fact that the definition of digamma function is a little controversial...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
In...

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426/

... it has been demonstrated that, if $\displaystyle \phi(*)$ is the 'digamma function', then is ...

$\displaystyle \phi(n)= - \gamma + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{1+k}$ (1)

The little 'discrepancy' is probably justified from the fact that the definition of digamma function is a little controversial...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Interesting , I will surely read that , thanks a lot ...

chisigma said:
The little 'discrepancy' is probably justified from the fact that the definition of digamma function is a little controversial... $\chi$ $\sigma$

Can you please elaborate on that ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Can you please elaborate on that ?

In...

Digamma Function -- from Wolfram MathWorld

... the digamma function is defined as...

$\displaystyle \psi(x)= \frac{d}{d x} \ln \Gamma(x)$ (1)

... where...

$\displaystyle \Gamma (x)= \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{x-1}\ e^{-t}\ dt$ (2)

... that leads to write, after long efforts...

$\displaystyle \psi(n)= - \gamma + \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \frac{1}{k}$ (3)

I adopted a slighty different approach defining the digamma function as...

$\displaystyle \phi(x) = \frac{d}{d x} \ln x!$ (4)

... where...

$\displaystyle x!= \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{x}\ e^{-t}\ dt$ (5)

... and after long efforts I arrived to write...

$\displaystyle \phi(n) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{k+1}$ (6)

Of course is a trivial question of definitions...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
$\displaystyle \psi(x)= - \gamma + \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \frac{1}{k}$ (3) $\displaystyle \phi(x) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k}$ (6)

I assumed you meant $\psi(n)$ and $\phi(n)$ , I know this is correct for all integers but let us try to find $\psi(1)$

From (3) it is \(\displaystyle -\gamma \) but from (6) it is \(\displaystyle -\gamma+1\)

so which is correct !

I have to confess one 'phobia' of my: I don't like the function $\displaystyle \Gamma (x)$ because any time I meet it I have to do terrible efforts to decide if it is $\displaystyle \Gamma(n)= (n-1)!$ or $\displaystyle \Gamma(n)= (n+1)!$... that's why I prefer the factorial function ...

$\displaystyle x!= \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{x}\ e^{-t}\ dt$ (1)

... that for $\displaystyle x=n$ of course is n!. The conclusion is that a digamma function descending from $\displaystyle \Gamma(x)$ is called $\displaystyle \psi(x)$ and the digamma function descending from $\displaystyle x!$ I called $\phi(x)$ and is...

$\displaystyle \psi(n)= \phi (n-1)$ (2)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
I have to confess one 'phobia' of my: I don't like the function $\displaystyle \Gamma (x)$ because any time I meet it I have to do terrible efforts to decide if it is $\displaystyle \Gamma(n)= (n-1)!$ or $\displaystyle \Gamma(n)= (n+1)!$... that's why I prefer the factorial function ...

I have never understood the reason for this -1 stuff with the gamma function.
Do you know where it came from?
Reading the wiki article makes it suggestive that it was a bad choice from the start.

On wiki I can see that there is also a pi function introduced by Gauss, that does behave like the factorial function.
Shouldn't that one be preferred over this gamma function?
$$\Pi(n) = \Gamma(n+1) = n!$$
Wiki only states the $\Gamma$ is dominant in literature.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I assumed you meant $\psi(n)$ and $\phi(n)$ , I know this is correct for all integers but let us try to find $\psi(1)$

From (3) it is \(\displaystyle -\gamma \) but from (6) it is \(\displaystyle -\gamma+1\)

so which is correct !

Your question is very useful because permits me to remark an important topic... from my definition of digammma function descends that for x = n is...

$\displaystyle \phi(n) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{k+1}$ (1)

... so that...

$\displaystyle \psi(1) = \phi(0) = - \gamma$ (2)

... which is correct. From the 'standard definition' reported on 'MonsterWolfram' descends that for x=n is...

... so that...

$\displaystyle \psi(1) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=1}^{0} \frac{1}{k} = \infty$ (4)

Gulp! (Tmi)... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Your question is very useful because permits me to remark an important topic... from my definition of digammma function descends that for x = n is...

$\displaystyle \phi(n) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{1}{k+1}$ (1)

... so that...

$\displaystyle \psi(1) = \phi(0) = 1 - \gamma$ (2)

... which is correct. From the 'standard definition' reported on 'MonsterWolfram' descends that for x=n is...

... so that...

$\displaystyle \psi(1) = - \gamma + \sum_{k=1}^{0} \frac{1}{k} = \infty$ (4)

Gulp! (Tmi)... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Wait!
Wolfram says $\psi(1)=-\gamma + H_0 = -\gamma$.
See here.
A sum that has an upper bound below the lower bound is an empty sum.

According to the Weierstrass representation of the gamma function we can get :

\(\displaystyle \psi(x) = -\gamma-\frac{1}{x}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{x}{(n+x)}\)

Now we can put x=1 so we have :

\(\displaystyle \psi(1) = -\gamma-1+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\)We know that : \(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{1}{n(n+1)}=1\)

so \(\displaystyle \psi(1)=-\gamma\)

I described some digamma values http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/advanced-integration-techniques-3233/index2.html post #19

I like Serena said:
Wait!
Wolfram says $\psi(1)=-\gamma + H_0 = -\gamma$.
See here.
A sum that has an upper bound below the lower bound is an empty sum.

'MonsterWolfram' sometime seems a little in contradiction with himself... in...

Harmonic Number -- from Wolfram MathWorld

...the following definition of the $\displaystyle H_{n}$ is reported...

$\displaystyle H_{n}= \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k}$ (1)

... and few lines after the $\displaystyle H_{n}$ are defined as the solution of the difference equation...

$\displaystyle H_{n} = H_{n-1} + \frac{1}{n},\ H_{1}=1$ (2)

... so that the element $\displaystyle H_{0}$ is in any case undefined...

Avoiding any type of useless controversial I symply say that the function $\displaystyle \psi(*)$ is, in my opinion, badly defined and leads sometimes to difficulties so that I prefer to use the function $\displaystyle \phi(*)$ that leads to 'secure results'...

My opinion of course...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ah well, more specifically it says:
Based on their definition, harmonic numbers satisfy the obvious recurrence equation
NumberedEquation3.gif
(3)

with
Inline25.gif

In other words, this is a consequence of the definition - not the definition itself.

The article only says about the definition
A harmonic number is a number of the form
NumberedEquation1.gif
arising from truncation of the harmonic series. A harmonic number can be expressed analytically as
NumberedEquation2.gif

Then in the article it is extended to more domains.

As I see it, the article doesn't say anything about $H_0$ and it doesn't specifically make it undefined.
It just leaves it sort of hanging.
So the article is a bit sloppy with the definition... and the wiki article is too.

Related to Digamma function and Harmonic numbers

1. What is the Digamma function and how is it related to Harmonic numbers?

The Digamma function, denoted by ψ(x), is a special function that is the logarithmic derivative of the Gamma function. It is closely related to the Harmonic numbers, which are defined as the sum of the reciprocals of the positive integers up to a given number. Specifically, the Digamma function can be used to calculate the nth Harmonic number by taking the limit as x approaches infinity of ψ(x+1) - ψ(1).

2. What is the significance of the Digamma function and Harmonic numbers in mathematics?

The Digamma function and Harmonic numbers have numerous applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory, analysis, and combinatorics. They also have connections to other special functions and mathematical constants, such as the Euler-Mascheroni constant and the Riemann zeta function.

3. Can the Digamma function and Harmonic numbers be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the Digamma function and Harmonic numbers can be extended to complex numbers. The complex Digamma function is a meromorphic function with simple poles at the non-positive integers. The complex Harmonic numbers are defined in a similar manner as their real counterparts, but with the summation extended to include all complex numbers.

4. How are the Digamma function and Harmonic numbers used in real-world applications?

The Digamma function and Harmonic numbers have applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used in the calculation of sums, series, and integrals, as well as in the analysis of various systems and phenomena.

5. Are there any known open problems or unsolved questions related to the Digamma function and Harmonic numbers?

Yes, there are still many open problems and unsolved questions related to the Digamma function and Harmonic numbers. Some of these include finding closed forms for certain series involving Harmonic numbers, as well as studying the behavior of the Digamma function at certain points, such as rational and algebraic numbers.