Digital signal exercise (Manolakis)

In summary, the conversation is about an exercise from the book "Applied Digital Signal Processing: Theory and Practice" by Manolakis and Ingle. The person asking for help does not understand what is being asked and is looking for a solution or at least a clue or suggestion. They are also reminded to make an effort and provide relevant information before asking for assistance. The exercise involves finding the one-step equivalent of three given steps and requires knowledge of convolution and impulse responses in linear systems.
MaxR2018
OP has been reminded to always show their work when posting homework questions at the PF.
Homework Statement
Determine the impulse response of the equivalent system.
Relevant Equations
How to start this exercise?
Hello people, I hope someone can help me with this exercise. This exercise is taken from the book "Applied Digital Signal Processing: Theory and Practice" by manolakis and Ingle. I don't understand what is being asked. The only thing I understand is that I have to use MATLAB necessarily. Someone has the solution of the book or knows how to do it? or at least a clue or suggestion.

Thank you for your time people.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Max,
You've been around for a year but never been :welcome: 'd ?

Nevertheless, you should know by now that the PF guidelines require some effort on your part before we are allowed to assist... (previously called the 'attempt at solution')

And that 'dunno' ('How to start this exercise? ' is NOT a relevant equation!) isn't good enough !

You could start with a few explanations: what does MATLAB return from e.g.
Matlab:
ones(1,5)
?
And what does it return from
Matlab:
conv([1,-1, -1, -1, 1], x)
when x is e.g. [1,2,2,1] ?
These things you can try out yourself.
You could also type out the problem statement, so helpers can comment without having to retype :wink: ...

I grant you the word 'response' occurs awfully often in the book, but you should still be able to pick an appropriate example and use that by way of 'relevant equation'(By the way, I'm not a Matlab expert, nor a DSP expert and until ten minutes ago I'd never seen the book -- so I'm at the same point as you are with this exercise)

Now it's your turn...
##\ ##

Likes berkeman
MaxR2018 said:
I don't understand what is being asked.

What is being asked is what is the one-step equivalent of those three steps. What is the ##h## that would be equivalent to those three.

This is not a Matlab question, it's a question about convolution and impulse responses and linear systems, although Matlab knowledge would be helpful in relating those calls to convolutions in your textbook.

Last edited:
Likes BvU and berkeman

1. What is a digital signal?

A digital signal is a type of signal that is represented by a sequence of discrete values, typically binary digits (0s and 1s). It is used to represent and transmit information through electronic devices and systems.

2. How is a digital signal different from an analog signal?

A digital signal is different from an analog signal in that it is represented by discrete values, while an analog signal is represented by continuous values. Digital signals are also less susceptible to noise and distortion, making them more reliable for transmitting and storing information.

3. What is the purpose of digital signal processing?

Digital signal processing (DSP) is used to manipulate and analyze digital signals to extract useful information or enhance their quality. It is used in a wide range of applications, including audio and video processing, telecommunications, and image processing.

4. What are some common techniques used in digital signal processing?

Some common techniques used in digital signal processing include filtering, sampling, and modulation. Filtering is used to remove unwanted noise or distortions from a signal, while sampling is used to convert analog signals into digital signals. Modulation is used to encode information onto a carrier signal for transmission.

5. What are the benefits of using digital signal processing?

Digital signal processing offers several benefits, including improved accuracy and precision, greater flexibility in signal manipulation, and the ability to store and transmit large amounts of data. It also allows for the integration of multiple functions into a single device, making it more cost-effective and efficient.