R[X] is never a field .... Sharp, Exercise 1.29 .... ....

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of proving that a particular ring, R[X], is never a field. One participant is unsure about how to frame a valid and rigorous proof, but suggests that considering the polynomial X+r may be relevant. Another participant provides a proof showing that the polynomial X+r cannot have a multiplicative inverse, and points out that the difference between their proof and the previous suggestion is that one uses the fact that the product has no nonzero terms of order 0, while the other uses the fact that the product has a nonzero term of order greater than 0. The conversation ends with the original participant thanking the second participant for their help and clarification.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading R. Y. Sharp's book: "Steps in Commutative Algebra" Cambridge University Press (Second Edition) ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: Commutative Rings and Subrings ... ...

I need some help with Exercise 1.29 ...

Exercise 1.29 reads as follows:

Sharp - Exercise 1.29 ... .png

Homework Equations

Sharp's definitions, notation and remarks regarding R[X] are as follows:

Sharp - 1 - Defn of R[X] and R[[X]] ... PART 1.png

Sharp - 2 - Defn of R[X] and R[[X]] ... PART 2 ... .png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am somewhat unsure about how to go about framing a valid and rigorous proof to demonstrate that ##R[X]## is never a field ...

But ... maybe the following is relevant ...

Consider ##a_1 X \in R[X]## ...

... then if ##R[X]## is a field ... there would be a polynomial ##b_0 + b_1 X + \ ... \ ... \ + b_n X^n## such that ...

... ##a_1 X ( b_0 + b_1 X + \ ... \ ... \ + b_n X^n ) = 1##

That is, we would require

##a_1 b_0 X + a_1 b_1 X^2 + \ ... \ ... \ + a_1 b_n X^{ n + 1} = 1## ... ... ... ... ... (1)... But ... it is impossible for equation (1) to be satisfied as the term on the RHS has only a term in ##X^0## while the LHS only has terms in ##X## in powers greater than ##0## ...Does the above qualify as a formal and rigorous proof ... if not ... what would constitute a formal and rigorous proof ...Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Sharp - Exercise 1.29 ... .png
    Sharp - Exercise 1.29 ... .png
    9.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Sharp - 1 - Defn of R[X] and R[[X]] ... PART 1.png
    Sharp - 1 - Defn of R[X] and R[[X]] ... PART 1.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 440
  • Sharp - 2 - Defn of R[X] and R[[X]] ... PART 2 ... .png
    Sharp - 2 - Defn of R[X] and R[[X]] ... PART 2 ... .png
    39.4 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof that it cannot be a field is quite short. We observe that, for nonzero ##r\in R##, the polynomial ##X+r## cannot have a multiplicative inverse. Say there is an inverse that is a ##k##-degree polynomial, which we write as ##\sum_{j=0}^k c_j X^j## where ##c_k\neq 0##. Now the product of that with ##r+X## gives a polynomial for which the coefficient of ##X^{k+1}## is ##c_k##. But the product must equal 1, so we must have either
  • ##k=-1##, which is not allowed, as the degree of a polynomial must be non-negative, or
  • ##c_k=0##, which contradicts our supposition that it is nonzero.
Since either way we get a contradiction, we must reject the assumption that ##X+r## has a multiplicative inverse.

The difference of this from your proof is that in my polynomial without an inverse the coefficient of X is 1, whereas in yours is ##a_1##. Using a non-unit coefficient leaves open the possibility that the product of that with another ring element may be zero, unless we assume R is an integral domain, which we should not have to assume.

For the integral domain part, assume R is not an integral domain, so there are two nonzero elements r, s whose product is zero. Then use those to make two nonzero polynomials whose product is zero.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
The proof that it cannot be a field is quite short. We observe that, for nonzero ##r\in R##, the polynomial ##X+r## cannot have a multiplicative inverse. Say there is an inverse that is a ##k##-degree polynomial, which we write as ##\sum_{j=0}^k c_j X^j## where ##c_k\neq 0##. Now the product of that with ##r+X## gives a polynomial for which the coefficient of ##X^{k+1}## is ##c_k##. But the product must equal 1, so we must have either
  • ##k=-1##, which is not allowed, as the degree of a polynomial must be non-negative, or
  • ##c_k=0##, which contradicts our supposition that it is nonzero.
Since either way we get a contradiction, we must reject the assumption that ##X+r## has a multiplicative inverse.

The difference of this from your proof is that in my polynomial without an inverse the coefficient of X is 1, whereas in yours is ##a_1##. Using a non-unit coefficient leaves open the possibility that the product of that with another ring element may be zero, unless we assume R is an integral domain, which we should not have to assume.

For the integral domain part, assume R is not an integral domain, so there are two nonzero elements r, s whose product is zero. Then use those to make two nonzero polynomials whose product is zero.
Thanks Andrew ... most helpful ...

Peter

Just a thought Andrew ... my equation (1) could not be true even if a number (or even all) of the terms ##a_1 b_0, a_1 b_1, \ ... \ ... \ , a_1 b_n## were equal to zero ... so surely even if ##R## was not an integral domain, my equation (1) would not have a solution ...

Am I missing something ... ?

Peter

Actually your proof is fine. I didn't read it until after I wrote mine down, as I assumed based on your first line that you didn't think much of it. I think you are entitled to be more confident in your work.

Your proof uses the fact that the product has no nonzero terms of order 0 and so cannot be 1, whereas mine uses the fact that the product has a nonzero term of order greater than 0 and hence cannot be 1. So they're more different than I first thought. Neither relies on R being an integral domain.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks again Andrew ...

Really value your help and assistance ...

Peter

1. What does it mean for R[X] to be a field in the context of Sharp, Exercise 1.29?

In this context, R[X] refers to the polynomial ring over a commutative ring R, where the coefficients of the polynomials are elements of R. A field is a commutative ring where every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. So for R[X] to be a field, every non-zero polynomial in R[X] must have a multiplicative inverse.

2. Why is it important to prove that R[X] is never a field in Sharp, Exercise 1.29?

This exercise is important because it helps us understand the properties of polynomial rings and their relationship to fields. It also highlights the fact that not all rings are fields, and provides a counterexample to the idea that every ring can be made into a field by adjoining an inverse for every non-zero element.

3. What is the significance of the term "never" in the statement "R[X] is never a field"?

The term "never" emphasizes that for any commutative ring R, the polynomial ring R[X] will never be a field. This is a strong statement and reinforces the fact that not all rings can be made into fields.

4. What are some examples of commutative rings where R[X] is never a field?

Some examples include the ring of integers (Z), the ring of polynomials with integer coefficients (Z[X]), and the ring of matrices with integer entries (Mn(Z)). In general, any commutative ring that is not a field will have the property that R[X] is never a field.

5. Is there a way to modify R[X] so that it becomes a field?

No, there is no way to modify R[X] to make it a field. This is because the fundamental structure of R[X] as a polynomial ring does not allow for the existence of multiplicative inverses for all non-zero elements. However, we can construct a field by adjoining elements to R[X], such as in the case of the field of rational functions, where we adjoin the inverses of all non-zero polynomials in R[X].