Dimension of set of all linear maps that map three elements to zero

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the dimension of a subspace of linear transformations, where one of the input vectors is nonzero. The conversation also includes a solution to the problem using the rank-nullity theorem and a map defined as ##\phi : \mathrm{Hom}(V, W) \to W##. The final summary states that the dimension of the subspace is ##ab - b## if the input vector is nonzero, and ##ab## if it is the zero vector.
Mr Davis 97
Homework Statement
Note that V and W are finite dimensional vector spaces.
I know how to do the similar problem when we're looking at all of the linear maps that map ALL elements to zero (in this case you can use the rank-nullity theorem to get a definite answer on the dimension). But I am not sure how to approach this one. It seems that upperbound is (dim V)(dim W) if all the vectors ##v_1, v_2, v_3## are just the zero vectors. But I am not sure about the lower bound.
Relevant Equations
rank-nullity theorem?
Question.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What are a and b?

It might help to consider the simpler case where just ##v_1## goes to zero. If you're still not sure, pick V and W to be like, ##\mathbb{R}^4## and ##\mathbb{R}^3## and let ##v_1=(1,0,0,0)## and try that case.

Office_Shredder said:
What are a and b?

It might help to consider the simpler case where just ##v_1## goes to zero.
Sorry, ##a = \operatorname{dim} V## and ##b = \operatorname{dim} W##.

And yeah, I actually did that and I think I was able to solve it in that case. Basically, if we're trying to find the dimension of ##\{ T\in \mathrm{Hom}(V,W) : T(v_1) = 0 \}##, where ##v_1## is nonzero, then if we define the map ##\phi : \mathrm{Hom}(V, W) \to W## where ##\phi (T) = T(v_1)##, we get, using the rank-nullity theorem, and recognizing that the image of ##\phi## is ##W##, that ## \operatorname{dim} (\ker (\phi)) = ab - b ##. If ##v_1## is the zero vector, then we just get that ##\operatorname{dim} (\ker (\phi)) = ab##.

1. What is the dimension of the set of all linear maps that map three elements to zero?

The dimension of this set is infinite, as there are infinitely many linear maps that can map three elements to zero. This is because there are infinitely many possible combinations of coefficients for the linear maps.

2. How do you determine the dimension of this set?

The dimension of this set can be determined by finding the number of linearly independent maps that can map three elements to zero. This can be done by solving the system of equations formed by the maps and checking for linear independence.

3. Can the dimension of this set vary depending on the elements being mapped?

Yes, the dimension of this set can vary depending on the elements being mapped. This is because the number of linearly independent maps that can map three elements to zero can differ depending on the specific elements involved.

4. Is the dimension of this set always greater than or equal to three?

Yes, the dimension of this set is always greater than or equal to three. This is because at least three linearly independent maps are needed to map three elements to zero.

5. Can the dimension of this set be less than three?

No, the dimension of this set cannot be less than three. This is because at least three linearly independent maps are needed to map three elements to zero, and a set with less than three elements cannot have three linearly independent maps.