Dimensions of Parallel Plate Capacitors

So, I'm calling it r. In summary, the electric field between two circular plates of a capacitor is changing at a rate of 1.5 x 10^6 V/m per second. If the displacement current at this instant is 0.80 x 10^-8A, the dimensions of the plate can be determined using the equation A = Id/(ε0 x ΔE/Δt), which results in a radius of 1.4 cm.
David Truong

Homework Statement

The electric field between two circular plates of a capacitor is changing at a rate of 1.5 x 10^6 V/m per second. If the displacement current at this instant is Id = 0.80 x 10^-8A, find the dimensions of the plate.

Homework Equations

Id = ΔQ/Δt = ε0(ΔΦE/Δt)
ΦE = EA
Q = CV
C = ε0AE
ε0 = 8.85 x 10^-12

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to go about this question. Any guidance is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're told Id and ΔE/Δt ... I'm pretty sure you can look up ε in the textbook front cover. So, how does A depend on radius?
(btw, your Capacitance equation should be εA/d, where d is the gap distance.)

So I made this question out to be harder it actually was. I was thinking about the changing electric field in the wrong way.

So here's my work:

Id = 0.80 x 10^-8 A
dE/dt = 1.5 x 10^6 V/m
ΦE = EA

Id = ε0(ΔΦE/Δt)
Id = ε0(A)(ΔE/Δt)
A = Id/[ε0 x (ΔE/Δt)]
A = 0.80 x 10^-8/(8.85 x 10^-12)(1.5 x 10^6)
A = πr2 = 6.03 x 10^-4 m2
r = 1.4 x 10^-2 m or 1.4 cm

Yes. You cannot actually determine the gap distance, because you're not told the voltage change rate.

1. What are the dimensions of a parallel plate capacitor?

The dimensions of a parallel plate capacitor refer to the distance between the two plates and the surface area of each plate. The distance between the plates is denoted by d and the surface area of each plate is denoted by A.

2. How do the dimensions of a parallel plate capacitor affect its capacitance?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases, and as the surface area increases, the capacitance increases.

3. Can the dimensions of a parallel plate capacitor be changed?

Yes, the dimensions of a parallel plate capacitor can be changed by adjusting the distance between the plates or by changing the surface area of the plates. This can be done by physically moving the plates or by using materials with different dielectric constants.

4. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the surface area of each plate, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. How do the dimensions of a parallel plate capacitor affect its electric field?

The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the electric field decreases. The surface area of the plates does not affect the electric field.