Diode Power Calculation: Understanding the Basics

In summary, the student used a factor of ½ in order to calculate the average power during each half-cycle, but they were not clear as to why they did so.
WRS
New poster has been reminded to post schoolwork problems in the Homework Help forums
20210311_172034.jpg

Hello all,

I've just started learning about diodes.. I believe I've done this problem correctly (question in black), although want to make certain I'm understanding the very basics before moving on. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The applied voltage has a peak amplitude of ±35 volt.
You should be using the RMS voltage, for half the time.
So why did you use a factor of ½ in; P = V² / 2·R

Is this homework or private study?

WRS said:
View attachment 279560

Hello all,

I've just started learning about diodes.. I believe I've done this problem correctly (question in black), although want to make certain I'm understanding the very basics before moving on. Thank you
You have found the average power during each half-cycle correctly.

However, adding the two powers is wrong. I’ll make up a simple example for illustration:
Frequency = 1Hz (So each half-cycle takes 0.5s)
Average power during 1st half of cycle = 8W
Average power during 2nd half of cycle = 20W
Energy/cycle = 8*0.5 + 20*0.5 = 14J
Average power during complete cycle = ##\frac {14J}{1s} = 14W## (not 28W).

Note to @Baluncore
$$P_{avg} = \frac {V_{peak}^2}{2R}$$
is fine because the average power is half the peak power.
This will be clear if you apply ##V_{peak} = {V_{rms} √2}##

Likes DaveE
Steve4Physics said:
You have found the average power during each half-cycle correctly.
@Steve4Physics
Steve4Physics said:
is fine because the average power is half the peak power.
You cannot be sure if the factor of ½ employed by the student was for the RMS conversion, or for the 50% duty cycle conversion. For that reason we should not do the students homework, but should ask the student to explain their derivation of their equation. @WRS got it half correct.

Likes Steve4Physics
Baluncore said:
@Steve4Physics

You cannot be sure if the factor of ½ employed by the student was for the RMS conversion, or for the 50% duty cycle conversion. For that reason we should not do the students homework, but should ask the student to explain their derivation of their equation. @WRS got it half correct.
I see what you mean. Since the OP had written$$P_{AVG} = \frac {V_M^2}{2R}$$I assumed ##V_M## was intended to be the maximum (peak) voltage, so thie formula simply appeared to be a statement of a ‘standard’ result.

However, I agree that it is quite possible that the OP had misunderstood. It would have been better to let him clarify this.

Likes Baluncore

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of two terminals, an anode and a cathode, and a PN junction that regulates the flow of current.

2. How does a diode work?

A diode works by allowing current to flow in one direction, from the anode to the cathode. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the PN junction conducts and allows current to flow. In the reverse direction, the PN junction blocks the flow of current.

3. What are the different types of diodes?

There are several types of diodes, including rectifier diodes, Zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Each type has its own unique properties and uses.

4. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

The main purpose of a diode in a circuit is to regulate the flow of current and prevent it from flowing in the wrong direction. Diodes are commonly used in rectifier circuits, voltage regulators, and signal processing circuits.

5. What are some common applications of diodes?

Diodes have a wide range of applications, including power supplies, voltage regulators, signal processing, and audio amplification. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.