Dipole - the calc. seems a bit illogical though correct

• Thread starter exuberant.me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Dipole
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for the electric field due to a dipole at a distance x from the center of the dipole. There is confusion about the components of the electric field, as it has both an x- and y-component. After careful examination, it is determined that the calculation is correct, as one component lies on the axial line and the other on the equatorial plane.
exuberant.me
I was reading the calculation for calculating the electric field due to a dipole at any point P at a distance x from the center of the dipole.

the way they have written the calc. seems a bit illogical

they have broken p into two components pcosθ and psinθ and applied E = kp/r3

Now,

E = Ex + Ey = (kpcosθ)/r3i + (kpsinθ)/r3j

but that would give the net field along some other direction..

it should rather only be

E = Ex = (kpcosθ)/r3

If someone can explain..!
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Why? The electric field has both an x- and a y-component.

i got it cleared at last... actually there was a different problem i faced.. but could not express it here...
btw.. i got it cleared by looking carefully..
they have done the right thing.. for first one it lies on the axial line and for second component it lies on equitorial plane.. i could not focus on this thing... thanks a lot.. !

Related to Dipole - the calc. seems a bit illogical though correct

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or object that has a separation of electric charge, with one end being positively charged and the other end being negatively charged. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the polarity of the molecule or object.

2. How is a dipole moment calculated?

The dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charges by the distance between them. This distance is typically measured from the center of the positive charge to the center of the negative charge.

3. Can a molecule have multiple dipoles?

Yes, a molecule can have multiple dipoles if it has multiple polar bonds or if it has an overall asymmetrical shape. In this case, the individual dipoles will not cancel each other out and the molecule will have a net dipole moment.

4. Why does the calculation of dipole moment seem illogical?

The calculation of dipole moment may seem illogical because it does not take into account the distribution of charge within a molecule. It simply assumes that the charges are evenly distributed at the ends of the molecule, which may not always be the case.

5. How is dipole moment used in chemistry?

Dipole moment is used in chemistry to predict the polarity of molecules, which is important in understanding chemical reactions and physical properties. It is also used in spectroscopy to determine the structure of molecules and in the study of intermolecular forces.