Direct Products .... Bland Probem 2(b), Problem Set 2.1 ....

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, Peter's attempt at a solution to Problem 2(b) of Problem Set 2.1 follows: he first proves that the equation has a right ideal, then shows that the equation has a finite number of non-zero components.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading Paul E. Bland's book: Rings and Their Modules and am currently focused on Section 2.1 Direct Products and Direct Sums ... ...

I need someone to check my solution to Problem 2(b) of Problem Set 2.1 ...

Problem 2(b) of Problem Set 2.1 reads as follows:
Blnad - Problem 2 - Problem Set 2.1 ... ....png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution follows:We claim that ##\bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha##Proof ...Let ##(x_\alpha ) , (y_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha## and let ##(r_\alpha ) \in \prod_\Delta R_\alpha##Then ## (x_\alpha ) + (y_\alpha ) = (x_\alpha + y_\alpha )## ...

... further ... if ##(x_\alpha )## has ##m## non-zero components and ##(y_\alpha )## has ##n## non-zero components then ##(x_\alpha + y_\alpha )## has at most ##(m+n)## non-zero components ... that is ##(x_\alpha + y_\alpha )## has only a finite number of non-zero components ...

... so ... since each ##x_\alpha + y_\alpha \in A_\alpha## we have that ##(x_\alpha + y_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha## ...

Hence ... ##(x_\alpha ) + (y_\alpha ) \in \bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha## ... ... ... ... ... (1)
Also ... we have ...

##(x_\alpha ) (r_\alpha ) = (x_\alpha r_\alpha)##

... and assuming ##x_\alpha## has ##m## non-zero components, then ##(x_\alpha r_\alpha)## has at most ##m## non-zero components ...... and ...##x_\alpha r_\alpha \in A_\alpha## since ##A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##R_\alpha##so ##(x_\alpha r_\alpha) \in \bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha##and it follows that ## (x_\alpha) ( r_\alpha) \in \bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha## ... ... ... ... ... (2)##(1) (2) \Longrightarrow \bigoplus_\Delta A_\alpha## is a right ideal of ##\prod_\Delta R_\alpha##
Can someone please critique my proof either by confirming it to be correct and/or pointing out errors and shortcomings ...

Peter

Attachments

• Blnad - Problem 2 - Problem Set 2.1 ... ....png
    Blnad - Problem 2 - Problem Set 2.1 ... ....png
    11.5 KB · Views: 293
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof looks sound.

I like to state the justification for each move in a proof, except where it's staggeringly obvious.

So where you say ##x_\alpha+y_\alpha\in A_\alpha## I would add 'because ideals are closed under addition'.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
The proof looks sound.

I like to state the justification for each move in a proof, except where it's staggeringly obvious.

So where you say ##x_\alpha+y_\alpha\in A_\alpha## I would add 'because ideals are closed under addition'.
Thanks Andrew ...

Yes, understand your point regarding proofs ...

Peter

1. What is a direct product in mathematics?

A direct product is a mathematical operation that combines two or more mathematical structures into a new structure. In this operation, the elements of the new structure are formed by combining the elements of the original structures.

2. How is a direct product different from a direct sum?

A direct product preserves the individual structures of the original structures, while a direct sum combines them into a new structure. In a direct product, the elements are ordered pairs or tuples, while in a direct sum, the elements are sums of individual elements from the original structures.

3. What is the significance of direct products in mathematics?

Direct products are important in mathematics because they allow us to study and understand more complex structures by breaking them down into simpler ones. They also provide a way to construct new structures with desired properties by combining existing ones.

4. How is a direct product written and represented?

A direct product can be written using the Cartesian product notation, as A × B, where A and B are the original structures. It can also be represented visually with a multiplication-like symbol, or as a grid or matrix with elements from A on one axis and elements from B on the other axis.

5. Can direct products be applied to other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the concept of direct products can be applied to other fields, such as computer science and physics. In computer science, direct products are used in database design and in physics, they are used to describe the properties of composite systems in quantum mechanics.