Direct sum of p-primary components of an R-module counterexample?

In summary, The $x$-torsion of the direct sum of two $R$-modules is equal to the direct sum of their individual $x$-torsions only if $R$ is a PID. A counterexample for an integral domain cannot be found.
kalish1
Let $x \in R - \{0\},$ where $R$ is a domain.

Define $T_x(M) = \{m \in M \ | \ x^n m=0 \ \ \mathrm{for \ some} \ n \in \mathbb{N}\}$ as the $x$-torsion of $M.$

I know that $T_x(M \oplus N) = T_x(M) \oplus T_x(N)$ for $R$-modules $M,N$ only if $R$ is a PID.

But I can't think of a counterexample for $R$ an integral domain.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:

Define $T_x(M) = \{m \in M \ | \ x^n m=0 \ \ \mathrm{for \ some} \ n \in \mathbb{N}\}$ as the $x$-torsion of $M.$

I know that $T_x(M \oplus N) = T_x(M) \oplus T_x(N)$ for $R$-modules $M,N$ only if $R$ is a PID.

But I can't think of a counterexample for $R$ an integral domain.

Any ideas?

Here is the modified problem:

I need to show that $T_x(M \oplus N) = T_x(M) \oplus T_x(N)$ for $R$-modules $M,N$ or show that there is a counterexample.

Why is this proof wrong?

Take $(a,b)\in T_x(M\oplus N)$. Then there exist $m,n \in \mathbb{N},$ not necessarily equal, such that $x^m a + x^n b=0.$ Take $(a,b)\in T_x(M) \oplus T_x(N)$. Then there exist $m,n \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $x^m a=0$ and $x^n b=0.$ So if $(a,b)\in T_x(M) \oplus T_x(N),$ then $(a,b)\in T_x(M\oplus N).$ But the converse is not true. Thus $T(M \oplus N) \neq T(M) \oplus T(N).$

1. What is a direct sum?

A direct sum is a mathematical operation that combines two or more objects to form a new object. In the context of linear algebra, a direct sum of two vector spaces is a new vector space that contains all the elements of the original vector spaces.

2. What is a p-primary component of an R-module?

In abstract algebra, an R-module is a generalization of the concept of a vector space, where the scalars are elements of a ring instead of a field. A p-primary component of an R-module is a submodule that is generated by elements whose orders are powers of a fixed prime number p.

3. How is the direct sum of p-primary components of an R-module calculated?

The direct sum of p-primary components of an R-module is calculated by taking the direct sum of the individual p-primary components. This means that the new module will contain all the elements from each individual p-primary component, and there will be no overlap between the components.

4. What is a counterexample in mathematics?

A counterexample is an example or situation that disproves a statement or conjecture. In other words, it is a specific case that does not fit the general rule or pattern being proposed.

5. Why is the direct sum of p-primary components of an R-module important?

The direct sum of p-primary components of an R-module is important in algebraic structures as it helps to break down a complex module into simpler, more manageable submodules. It also allows for the study of the properties and behavior of the individual components, which can provide valuable insights into the structure of the original module.