Proving that a module can be decomposed as a direct sum of submodules

In summary: By construction, $M' \cong A$ and $N' \cong B$. Therefore, by the argument above, $K \cong M' \times N'$. In summary, if $K \cong A \times B$ for some $X$-modules $A,B$, then $\exists$ submodules $M'$ and $N'$ of $K$ such that $K=M' \oplus N'$, $M' \cong A$, and $N' \cong B$.
kalish1
Letting $X$ be a ring and $K$ be an $X$-module, I need to show that **if** $K \cong A \times B$ for some $X$-modules $A,B$, **then** $\exists$ submodules $M'$ and $N'$ of $K$ such that:

$K=M' \oplus N'$

$M' \cong A$

$N' \cong B.$----------I understand the concepts of internal and external direct sum of modules, and I showed that if $K = M \oplus N$ for $M,N$ submodules of $K$, then $K \cong M \times N.$ (I showed the isomorphism by defining a well-defined map, and then showing that the map is a surjective homomorphism, followed by the kernel being $\{0\}$ and applying the First Isomorphism Theorem.)

But I have tried doing this problem for hours now, and have not been able to crack it. How should I begin?

This question has been crossposted here: abstract algebra - Proving that a module can be decomposed as a direct sum of submodules - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kalish,

Let $\phi$ be is isomorphism from $A\times B$ onto $K$. Set $M' = \phi(A \times 0)$ and $N' = \phi(0 \times B)$. Since $M'$ and $N'$ are homomorphic images of submodules of $A\times B$, $M'$ and $N'$ are submodules of $K$. Given $x\in K$, there exists a unique element $(a,b) \in A\times B$ such that $x = \phi(a,b)$. Since $(a,b) = (a,0) + (0,b)$ and $\phi$ is a homomorphism, $\phi(a,b) = \phi(a,0) + \phi(0,b) \in M' + N'$. The representation of $x$ as $\phi(a,0) + \phi(0,b)$ is unique by uniqueness of $(a,b)$. Thus $x \in M' \oplus N'$. Since $x$ was an arbitrary point of $K$, $K \subseteq M' \oplus N'$ and thus $K = M' \oplus N'$.

1. What is a direct sum of submodules?

A direct sum of submodules is a way of representing a larger module as the combination of smaller, independent submodules. This means that the larger module can be constructed from the direct sum of its submodules without any overlap or repetition.

2. How do you prove that a module can be decomposed as a direct sum of submodules?

To prove that a module can be decomposed as a direct sum of submodules, you must show that the submodules are independent (i.e. have no elements in common) and that their sum is equal to the original module. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as linear algebra or group theory.

3. What are the benefits of decomposing a module as a direct sum of submodules?

Decomposing a module as a direct sum of submodules can make it easier to understand and manipulate. It can also lead to a more efficient representation of the module, as well as provide insights into its structure and properties.

4. Can any module be decomposed as a direct sum of submodules?

No, not all modules can be decomposed as a direct sum of submodules. Modules that cannot be decomposed in this way are called indecomposable modules. Additionally, some modules may have multiple ways of being decomposed as a direct sum of submodules.

5. Are there any real-world applications of decomposing a module as a direct sum of submodules?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, representation theory, and topology. It also has applications in computer science, specifically in the study of vector spaces and data structures.