Direction of forces on a uniform catilever

In summary, the answer seems to have used the tensile strength for FA and compressive strength for FB (opposite of what I did).
Sunwoo Bae
Homework Statement
shown in the text
Relevant Equations
none
1622444852303.png

The following is my work:
1622444282902.png

The following is the answer given:
1622444465892.png

While I took FA as the pivot point, the answer seem to have taken FB as the pivot point, and got negative value for FB.
As the result, the answer seems to have used the tensile strength for FA and compressive strength for FB (opposite of what I did).
In this case, how do you know which pivot I should take and whether FA or FB should get a negative value?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunwoo Bae said:
While I took FA as the pivot point, the answer seem to have taken FB as the pivot point, and got negative value for FB.
I think you mean the answer text got a negative value for FA.
It shouldn’t matter which point you take moments about, you should get the same answer. Indeed, you do seem to have the same answers for the forces.
Your error is in deducing which is compressive and which tensile. A positive (upward) force from the support means the support is under compression.

haruspex said:
It shouldn’t matter which point you take moments about, you should get the same answer. Indeed, you do seem to have the same answers for the forces.
Your error is in deducing which is compressive and which tensile. A positive (upward) force from the support means the support is under compression.
Can you explain why a positive force from the support means the support is under compression? I thought the tensile stress is the one in which materials are subjected to stretching, and the compressive stress is the one that forces act inwardly on the object.
1622447662085.png

If the positive value indicates compression, then what would be the corresponding downward force in the system?
Thank you!

haruspex said:
1622447956024.png

And I'm quite confused because this is the part of the explanation in the answer sheet (the photo I attached above).
The way I understood from this explanation is that point A is under tension because FA is directed upward, and point B is under compression because FB is directe downwards.

Sunwoo Bae said:
View attachment 283737
And I'm quite confused because this is the part of the explanation in the answer sheet (the photo I attached above).
The way I understood from this explanation is that point A is under tension because FA is directed upward, and point B is under compression because FB is directe downwards.
You seem to be confusing the force the support applies to the cantilever with the force the cantilever exerts on the support. Action and reaction are equal and opposite.
FB acts upwards (positive) on the cantilever, which means the cantilever is pressing down on support B, putting it in compression.
FA acts downwards (negative) on the cantilever, which means the cantilever is pulling up on support A, putting it in tension.

haruspex said:
You seem to be confusing the force the support applies to the cantilever with the force the cantilever exerts on the support. Action and reaction are equal and opposite.
FB acts upwards (positive) on the cantilever, which means the cantilever is pressing down on support B, putting it in compression.
FA acts downwards (negative) on the cantilever, which means the cantilever is pulling up on support A, putting it in tension.
Thank you for helping me out. That cleared up my confusion!

1. What is a uniform cantilever?

A uniform cantilever is a beam or structure that is fixed at one end and free at the other end. It is usually made of a uniform material and has a constant cross-section throughout its length.

2. What forces act on a uniform cantilever?

The main forces that act on a uniform cantilever are the load or weight placed on the free end, and the reaction force at the fixed end. There may also be additional forces such as bending moments and shear forces depending on the specific design and application of the cantilever.

3. How do you determine the direction of forces on a uniform cantilever?

The direction of forces on a uniform cantilever can be determined by using the principles of statics. This involves analyzing the external forces acting on the cantilever and the internal forces within the structure to determine the direction and magnitude of the forces at different points along the cantilever.

4. What factors affect the direction of forces on a uniform cantilever?

The direction of forces on a uniform cantilever can be affected by various factors such as the type of load applied, the material properties of the cantilever, and the geometry and support conditions of the structure. The angle of the cantilever and the location of the load can also impact the direction of forces.

5. How can the direction of forces on a uniform cantilever be controlled?

The direction of forces on a uniform cantilever can be controlled by adjusting the design and support conditions of the structure. By carefully choosing the material, dimensions, and support points, the forces on the cantilever can be directed in a specific direction to meet the requirements of the application. Additionally, proper maintenance and load distribution can also help to control the direction of forces on a cantilever.