Direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid

In summary, the Amperian loop surrounding the solenoid encloses the winding which carries current, and we assume that ##B_\phi## is constant around the Amperian loop.
WeiShan Ng

Homework Statement

Example 5.9 in Griffiths's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th shows us how to find B of a very long solenoid, consisting of n closely wound turns per unit length on a cylinder of radius R, each carrying a steady current I. In the solution, he goes on to explain why we don't have the radial and "circumferential" component of B. I get the explanation on the radial part but not quite understand the "circumferential" part...

The book draws an Amperian loop around the solenoid and writes

[tex] \oint \textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = B_\phi (2\pi s) = \mu_0 I_{enc}=0 [/tex]

Why is the current enclosed equals to zero? I thought the Amperian loop enclose the winding which carries current with it? And why do we assume ##B_\phi## would be constant around the Amperian loop?

open

Physics news on Phys.org
WeiShan Ng said:

Homework Statement

Example 5.9 in Griffiths's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th shows us how to find B of a very long solenoid, consisting of n closely wound turns per unit length on a cylinder of radius R, each carrying a steady current I. In the solution, he goes on to explain why we don't have the radial and "circumferential" component of B. I get the explanation on the radial part but not quite understand the "circumferential" part...

[tex] \oint \textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{l} = B_\phi (2\pi s) = \mu_0 I_{enc}=0 [/tex]

Why is the current enclosed equals to zero? I thought the Amperian loop enclose the winding which carries current with it? And why do we assume ##B_\phi## would be constant around the Amperian loop?

open

OK, let's do an Amperian loop around the solenoid:

solenoid.jpg

Assuming that this is an ideal solenoid, i.e. the coils are tightly wound, what is Iencl, i.e. the net flow of current through the surface bounded by the Amperian loop?

Zz.

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,330
Likes Charles Link
To add to @ZapperZ 's explanation, evaluate ## B_{outside} ## in the formula ## \oint B_{outside} \cdot dl =B_{outside}(2 \pi r)=\mu_o I ##, so that ## B_{outside}=\frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi r} ## ## \\ ## Compare the factor ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## to the factor ## n ##, ## \\ ## where ## n ## =number of turns per unit length. ## \\ ## ## B_{z \, inside}=n \mu_o I ##. ## \\ ## A very loosely packed solenoid has ## n \approx 10/cm ##, while ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## for ## r> 3.2 \, cm ## is a factor that is less than ## .05/cm ##. For this very conservative case, the magnetic field inside the solenoid is 200 x greater.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
OK, let's do an Amperian loop around the solenoid:

View attachment 223484

Assuming that this is an ideal solenoid, i.e. the coils are tightly wound, what is Iencl, i.e. the net flow of current through the surface bounded by the Amperian loop?

Zz.
Isn't the [tex]I_{enc}[/tex]be a net I flowing upward/downward through the surface?

Charles Link said:
To add to @ZapperZ 's explanation, evaluate ## B_{outside} ## in the formula ## \oint B_{outside} \cdot dl =B_{outside}(2 \pi r)=\mu_o I ##, so that ## B_{outside}=\frac{\mu_o I}{2 \pi r} ## ## \\ ## Compare the factor ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## to the factor ## n ##, ## \\ ## where ## n ## =number of turns per unit length. ## \\ ## ## B_{z \, inside}=n \mu_o I ##. ## \\ ## A very loosely packed solenoid has ## n \approx 10/cm ##, while ## \frac{1}{2 \pi r} ## for ## r> 3.2 \, cm ## is a factor that is less than ## .05/cm ##. For this very conservative case, the magnetic field inside the solenoid is 200 x greater.
So you saying we still have ##B_{\phi}##, but it is negligible compared to ##B_{inside}##, so we just take it as zero?

Likes Charles Link
WeiShan Ng said:
So you saying we still have ##B_{\phi}##, but it is negligible compared to ##B_{inside}##, so we just take it as zero?
Yes. That is correct.

Likes WeiShan Ng
WeiShan Ng said:

Homework Statement

The symmetry of the situation should convince you ##B_\phi## is constant.

Anyway, in my copy of Griffiths, he explicitly addressed your questions. Is there something about his explanation you didn't understand?

vela said:
The symmetry of the situation should convince you ##B_\phi## is constant.

Anyway, in my copy of Griffiths, he explicitly addressed your questions. Is there something about his explanation you didn't understand?
Everything is good now. Thank you!

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid determined?

The direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you wrap your right hand around the solenoid with your fingers pointing in the direction of the current, your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Does the direction of the magnetic field change inside the solenoid?

No, the direction of the magnetic field inside the solenoid remains the same throughout the entire coil.

4. How is the strength of the magnetic field around a solenoid affected by the number of coils?

The strength of the magnetic field around a solenoid is directly proportional to the number of coils. Increasing the number of coils will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing the number of coils will weaken the magnetic field.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field around a solenoid can be reversed by reversing the direction of the current flowing through the coil. This can be done by switching the positive and negative terminals of the power source.