Dirichlet Problem on a Disc - Transfomation

• Thread starter lkh1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc
In summary, the given problem asks to prove that the transformation from u_xx + u_yy = 0 to u_rr + (1/r) u_r + (1/r^2) u_thetatheta = 0 is valid. The proof involves expressing u_xx and u_yy in terms of u_rr, u_rtheta, and u_thetatheta using the chain rule. This can be found in textbooks on partial differential equations or mathematical methods in physics.
lkh1986

Homework Statement

This is a problem I found in my note. It says that from u xx(subscript) + u yy = 0, we can arrive at u rr + (1/r) u r + (1/r^2) u theta theta = 0 by using the transformation x = r cos theta, y = r sin theta, r = square root of (x^2+y^2), theta = arctan (y/x).

The problem is how to prove it?

Homework Equations

The strategy is to express u xx and u yy in terms of u rr , u r theta and u theta theta.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can differentiate r with respect to x an y. Also, I have found the derivative of theta with respect to x and y.

I have no problem of finding u x and u y. The problems arise when I try to find u xx and u yy. ;(

I use the search engine to search for the proof but can't find it anywhere. Does someone have the link for this proof? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

The proof for this transformation can be found in many textbooks on partial differential equations or mathematical methods in physics. Here is a brief explanation of the proof:

Starting with the given equation u_xx + u_yy = 0, we can use the chain rule to express u_xx and u_yy in terms of u_rr, u_rtheta, and u_thetatheta.

For u_xx, we have:

u_xx = (d^2u/dx^2) = (d^2u/drdx)(dxdx) + (d^2u/dthetadx)(dx/dtheta)

= (d^2u/drdx)(cos(theta)) + (d^2u/dthetadx)(-r sin(theta))

= cos^2(theta) u_rr + cos(theta)(-r sin(theta)) u_rtheta

= (1/r^2) u_rr + (-1/r) u_rtheta

Similarly, for u_yy, we have:

u_yy = (d^2u/dy^2) = (d^2u/drdy)(dydx) + (d^2u/dthetady)(dy/dtheta)

= (d^2u/drdy)(sin(theta)) + (d^2u/dthetady)(r cos(theta))

= sin^2(theta) u_rr + sin(theta)(r cos(theta)) u_rtheta

= (1/r^2) u_rr + (1/r) u_rtheta

Substituting these expressions for u_xx and u_yy into the original equation, we get:

(1/r^2) u_rr + (-1/r) u_rtheta + (1/r^2) u_rr + (1/r) u_rtheta = 0

Simplifying, we get:

u_rr + (1/r) u_r + (1/r^2) u_thetatheta = 0

which is the desired result.

I hope this explanation helps. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Dirichlet Problem on a Disc - Transfomation

1. What is the Dirichlet Problem on a Disc?

The Dirichlet Problem on a Disc is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to the Laplace equation on the interior of a disc-shaped region, where the boundary conditions are specified on the edge of the disc.

2. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of potential fields, such as electrostatic fields and gravitational fields. It states that the sum of all second-order partial derivatives of a function is equal to zero.

3. What is a transformation in the context of the Dirichlet Problem on a Disc?

A transformation in the context of the Dirichlet Problem on a Disc refers to a change of variables that can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. This transformation usually involves mapping the disc-shaped region onto a simpler, more well-known region, such as a unit circle or a rectangle.

4. Why is the Dirichlet Problem on a Disc important?

The Dirichlet Problem on a Disc is important because it has many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can be used to model and solve a wide range of problems, such as heat conduction, fluid flow, and electrostatics. It also provides a useful framework for understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems.

5. What are some techniques used to solve the Dirichlet Problem on a Disc?

Some techniques that can be used to solve the Dirichlet Problem on a Disc include separation of variables, conformal mapping, and complex analysis. These techniques involve breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts and using mathematical tools to find a solution. Other approaches, such as numerical methods, can also be used to approximate a solution to the problem.