Discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit

In summary, we have a circuit with two capacitors, C1 and C2, connected through a switch and a resistor of resistance R. At t=0, C1 has an initial charge of V1(0), while C2 is uncharged. When the switch is closed, the charge on C1 begins to move to C2. To find the time dependence of V1(t) and V2(t), we can use Kirchoff's laws and the fact that charge is conserved. However, a sign error may have been made in the loop equation and it may be easier to use KCL at the two nodes and solve from there.
tourjete

Homework Statement

In the circuit below, the capacitors labeled C1 and C2 both have capacitance C.
They are connected through a switch and a resistor of resistance R. Capacitor
C1 is initially charged with a potential V1(0) at time t = 0, while capacitor C2
is uncharged at time t=0.
At time t = 0, the switch is closed and the charge on C1 begins to move to C2.
Write a differential equation for the time dependence of V1(t) and V2(t). Solve
for the time dependence of the voltage across C2 for times after t = 0 when the
switch is closed

The circuit picture can be seen here: http://imgur.com/uy36j0z

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's laws
Ohm's Law
Q = CV for a capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, charge is conserved so [itex]Q_1(t) + Q_2(t) = Q_1(0)[/itex]. This also means that [itex] \frac{d Q_1}{dt} = -\frac{d Q_2}{dt} = 0 [/itex].

I tried to use Kirchoff's laws and got:
[tex] 0 = V_1(t) + IR + V_2(t) = \frac{Q_1(t)}{C} + R \frac{dQ_1(t)}{dt} + \frac{Q_2(t)}{C} = \frac{Q_1(0)-Q_2(t)}{C} - R \frac{dQ_2(t)}{dt} + \frac{Q_2(t)}{C} [/tex].

However, I'm a little concerned here due to two things: Solving this differential equation gives something linear in time instead of exponential, as I intuitively know that it must be, and I haven't taken into account the portion of the circuit that is grounded. What am I doing wrong? (Once I find the charge it is trivial to get V from that)

Physics news on Phys.org
tourjete said:

Homework Statement

In the circuit below, the capacitors labeled C1 and C2 both have capacitance C.
They are connected through a switch and a resistor of resistance R. Capacitor
C1 is initially charged with a potential V1(0) at time t = 0, while capacitor C2
is uncharged at time t=0.
At time t = 0, the switch is closed and the charge on C1 begins to move to C2.
Write a differential equation for the time dependence of V1(t) and V2(t). Solve
for the time dependence of the voltage across C2 for times after t = 0 when the
switch is closed

The circuit picture can be seen here: http://imgur.com/uy36j0z

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's laws
Ohm's Law
Q = CV for a capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously, charge is conserved so [itex]Q_1(t) + Q_2(t) = Q_1(0)[/itex]. This also means that [itex] \frac{d Q_1}{dt} = -\frac{d Q_2}{dt} = 0 [/itex].

That last part at the end "=0" looks incorrect.

I tried to use Kirchoff's laws and got:
[tex] 0 = V_1(t) + IR + V_2(t) = \frac{Q_1(t)}{C} + R \frac{dQ_1(t)}{dt} + \frac{Q_2(t)}{C} = \frac{Q_1(0)-Q_2(t)}{C} - R \frac{dQ_2(t)}{dt} + \frac{Q_2(t)}{C} [/tex].

However, I'm a little concerned here due to two things: Solving this differential equation gives something linear in time instead of exponential, as I intuitively know that it must be, and I haven't taken into account the portion of the circuit that is grounded. What am I doing wrong? (Once I find the charge it is trivial to get V from that)

I believe you have a sign error in the loop equation that you wrote. The signs of the two capacitor voltages should be opposite, IMO.

But I would approach the question a bit differently. You know the current is the same around the loop, so I would write the KCL at the two nodes (two sides of the resistor) and solve...

1. What is a discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit?

A discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit refers to a situation where a capacitor is connected to a circuit that has a ground connection. This means that one of the plates of the capacitor is connected to ground, which acts as a reference point for the voltage in the circuit.

2. How does a discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit work?

When a capacitor is connected to a grounded circuit, the voltage across the capacitor will decrease over time due to the flow of electrons from one plate to the other. This process is known as discharging and is a result of the capacitor trying to equalize the voltage between its two plates.

3. What factors affect the rate of discharging in a grounded circuit?

The rate of discharging in a grounded circuit can be affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage across the capacitor. A higher capacitance will result in a slower discharging rate, while a higher resistance or voltage will result in a faster discharging rate.

4. How can a discharging capacitor affect the overall circuit?

A discharging capacitor can affect the overall circuit in several ways. As the capacitor discharges, the voltage across it decreases, which can cause a decrease in the overall voltage of the circuit. This can also lead to a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit, as the capacitor acts as a temporary source of energy.

5. How can a discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit be utilized in practical applications?

A discharging capacitor in a grounded circuit can be utilized in various practical applications, such as smoothing out voltage fluctuations in power supplies, filtering out unwanted frequencies in audio circuits, and storing temporary energy in electronic devices. It can also be used in timing circuits, where the rate of discharging can be controlled to create precise time delays.