Downloading & Installing STIX Fonts for MathJax

In summary, the conversation is about the use of MathJax and the STIX font for displaying math on websites. The user has downloaded the STIX font package but is having trouble getting it to work on websites with MathJax. They are asking for help on how to force the use of STIX font on their end.
Oats
Hello,
Every website that I go on that has MathJax support displays math in a font that almost looks like the default Computer Modern ##\LaTeX## font. The following is taken from Math Stack Exchange:

Capture.PNG

I heard that MathJax usually looks for the STIX font located on your computer, and if it does not find it, it will instead resort to the above font. Now, I actually ##\textit{want}## to use STIX font, so I went ahead and downloaded the STIX font package on their website. I got a file with the following contents:

Capture1.PNG

The docs folder only had documentation. Inside the Fonts folder was:

Capture2.PNG

And inside the OTF folder, which is supposedly what I am supposed to use (the others contained webfonts that I don't know how to open nor what to do with), there is:

Capture3.PNG

I opened each and installed the fonts seen here, and they appear as such in the control panel fonts section. However, even after restarting my computer, any website with MathJax does not use STIX fonts.
Can anyone help? Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any response.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 671
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 612
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 701
Computer science news on Phys.org
Oats said:
However, even after restarting my computer, any website with MathJax does not use STIX fonts.
Depends if the website that is using MathJax specifies Stix font for use in their config. On PF we set Tex as the preferred font but list Stix as available. I am unsure how to force Stix on your end.

1. What are STIX Fonts and why are they important for MathJax?

STIX Fonts are a set of high-quality, comprehensive mathematical and scientific symbols designed specifically for use in digital documents. They are important for MathJax because they provide a wide range of symbols and characters necessary for displaying complex mathematical equations and formulas correctly.

2. How do I download and install STIX Fonts for MathJax?

To download and install STIX Fonts for MathJax, you can go to the official STIX Fonts website and follow the instructions for the download and installation process. Alternatively, you can also use a package manager such as npm or bower to install the fonts.

3. Can I use STIX Fonts for MathJax in any web browser?

Yes, STIX Fonts for MathJax are compatible with all modern web browsers, including Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge. However, some older versions of Internet Explorer may not support the fonts.

4. Do I need to install STIX Fonts for MathJax on my computer?

No, STIX Fonts for MathJax are web fonts, which means they are stored on a web server and can be accessed and used through the internet. You do not need to install them on your computer in order to use them in your web pages.

5. Are STIX Fonts for MathJax free to use?

Yes, STIX Fonts for MathJax are free to use for both personal and commercial purposes. They are licensed under the SIL Open Font License, which allows for free distribution and modification of the fonts.