Discover the Benefits of 'Day and Night' Contact Lenses

In summary: if not impossible, to keep your contacts in for more than about 12 hours at a time because they start to dry out and get uncomfortable.
pivoxa15
Which contact lenses do you like the most? For me it's 'Day and Night' although I take it out in the night just to let the eyes breathe better.

Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
Which contact lenses do you like the most? For me it's 'Day and Night' although I take it out in the night just to let the eyes breathe better.

I don't wear contacts any more, but when I did I used Acu-View I think. I just wore the normal ones, not the day and night ones.

I'm actually glad I switched back to glasses. I think they are easier to deal with, and they make me look smarter than I actually am.:biggrin:

geez.. contact lenses are no no for me! glasses are on 15hours a day.. besides i look smarter in glasses! lolzzz

I won't wear contact lenses. I also prefer men with glasses.

Evo said:

:cool::cool:i told ya. glasses are cool:cool::cool:

I've used Acuvu Dailies for five years after having worn glasses for three years. The dailies were nice because I put in a new pair everyday and they were very thin and comfortable. Best of all, there was no cleaning required.

Last month I switched to Night and Days. I can keep them in comfortably for about a week, then let them sit in the solution overnight. Sometimes, though, I clean them twice a week. Overall, they work as promised and I like being able to sleep in them. I would accidentally fall asleep in my old dailies and my eyes would get all red and irritated.

I wore contacts for a while - the young lady optometrist at the opthalmic practice that I worked at (as a board-certified optician, and network administrator) was always after me to try new contacts, some of which were designed with astigmatic correction built in. Since I was an employee, and was willing to be a guinea pig (at times), I tried a lot of different contacts - soft, hard, gas-permeable, disposable ... you name it. Ultimately, I went back to glasses full-time and am happy that I did. I spent a lot of time during that period kayaking pretty serious white-water, and though I never lost well-fitted contacts while rolling, I became concerned about bacterial/amoebal infections and sometimes had problems with pollen getting between my contacts and cornea during spring run-off. I like my eyes too much. Glasses for me.

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:

Me too. Then I stopped wearing them. I wore glasses for 8 years prior to that, and always had headaches, very often. Same with the contacts. I realized I can see fine without any of the two, and now my head is fine, yay! Oh, and don't say some BS about "You had the wrong prescription", umm, yeah, no. That may be the case for some people, but I've never had glasses that didn't cause headaches. Without anything I can see more than well enough to pass the test at the DMV.

EDIT: It may be important to say that I'm farsighted.

Last edited:
Due to a condition called Keratoconus I have to wear rigid gas permeable contacts. How I wish I could wear glasses full time. I currently have a pair of glasses for house wear, but these are not glasses that make you look smart or cool, they just make me look blind.

I generally wear my contacts any where from 15 to 20hrs a day. My insurance is such that I am able to replace a single contact each year or get a pair of glasses.

To add insult to injury, my near vision with contacts in is so bad that I must wear reading glasses. Without my contacts, I can read fine, as long as the page is 5cm from my nose!

Integral said:
Due to a condition called Keratoconus I have to wear rigid gas permeable contacts. How I wish I could wear glasses full time. I currently have a pair of glasses for house wear, but these are not glasses that make you look smart or cool, they just make me look blind.

I generally wear my contacts any where from 15 to 20hrs a day. My insurance is such that I am able to replace a single contact each year or get a pair of glasses.

To add insult to injury, my near vision with contacts in is so bad that I must wear reading glasses. Without my contacts, I can read fine, as long as the page is 5cm from my nose!
That sucks! That is a VERY difficult condition to correct with either contacts or glasses. It's very difficult to get contacts properly fitted (physically), and even with the most advanced refractions and a detailed prescription, the optician's chances of figuring you a good set of lenses are iffy at best.

Since I worked for an ophthalmology practice (as opposed to an optometry practice), I had some very tough challenges as an optician. Congenital deformities of the eye that were not symmetric were some of the toughest. Some of the worst ones were conditions in which there was significant vertical "wedge" in the prescription. Even a slight misalignment in the figuring of the lenses or the assembly of the eyeglasses could cause the patient significant discomfort. Those of us with "imperfect" vision amounting to a couple of diopters of correction and a bit of astigmatism and maybe a bit of presbyopia should count ourselves very lucky.

Last edited:
I wear glasses, but try to limit the length of time. They're pretty lightweight and thin, at least, so they're not too much of a bother.

I'm going to be getting wavefront LASIK later this summer. I can't wait.

- Warren

chroot said:
I wear glasses, but try to limit the length of time. They're pretty lightweight and thin, at least, so they're not too much of a bother.

I'm going to be getting wavefront LASIK later this summer. I can't wait.

- Warren

Let me know how that goes, I am thinking about Laser surgery in the future. Not because I don't like wearing glasses, but because I find my eyes getting worse and worse as my prescription
becomes stronger and stronger.

G01 said:
I don't wear contacts any more, but when I did I used Acu-View I think. I just wore the normal ones, not the day and night ones.

I'm actually glad I switched back to glasses. I think they are easier to deal with, and they make me look smarter than I actually am.:biggrin:

ank_gl said:
geez.. contact lenses are no no for me! glasses are on 15hours a day.. besides i look smarter in glasses! lolzzz

Evo said:

turbo-1 said:
I wore contacts for a while - the young lady optometrist at the opthalmic practice that I worked at (as a board-certified optician, and network administrator) was always after me to try new contacts, some of which were designed with astigmatic correction built in. Since I was an employee, and was willing to be a guinea pig (at times), I tried a lot of different contacts - soft, hard, gas-permeable, disposable ... you name it. Ultimately, I went back to glasses full-time and am happy that I did. I spent a lot of time during that period kayaking pretty serious white-water, and though I never lost well-fitted contacts while rolling, I became concerned about bacterial/amoebal infections and sometimes had problems with pollen getting between my contacts and cornea during spring run-off. I like my eyes too much. Glasses for me.

moose said:
Me too. Then I stopped wearing them. I wore glasses for 8 years prior to that, and always had headaches, very often. Same with the contacts. I realized I can see fine without any of the two, and now my head is fine, yay! Oh, and don't say some BS about "You had the wrong prescription", umm, yeah, no. That may be the case for some people, but I've never had glasses that didn't cause headaches. Without anything I can see more than well enough to pass the test at the DMV.

EDIT: It may be important to say that I'm farsighted.
I don't like glasses because of its heaviness on the nose which makes it very sore. There is also a general feeling of discomfort wearing glasses as it wraps around you ears.

Do people find this problem or have I been using glasses that are too cheap?
I am -5.0 so the lens is usually pretty thick.

They say the problem I mentioned wouldn't happen as much if one started wearing glasses when they were little. True? I started wearing glasses when I was 18, contacts prior to that. Switched back to contacts after a year and half of discomfort. A bit too late to get use to glasses?

Turbo, since you are an expert in the field, why don't you get laser treatment? Is the risk still too high? Or because of side effects? Or does the afraid of the eyes being short or long sighted again after laser treatment?
Do you think contacts damage your eyes in some way?

What do you think of Night and Day compared to other brands?

Last edited:
I am almost -5.0, and my glasses are not heavy. I started wearing classes when I was around 16, but they progressively got worse from about -1.25 to where they are today.

z-component said:
I've used Acuvu Dailies for five years after having worn glasses for three years. The dailies were nice because I put in a new pair everyday and they were very thin and comfortable. Best of all, there was no cleaning required.

Last month I switched to Night and Days. I can keep them in comfortably for about a week, then let them sit in the solution overnight. Sometimes, though, I clean them twice a week. Overall, they work as promised and I like being able to sleep in them. I would accidentally fall asleep in my old dailies and my eyes would get all red and irritated.

So you think the Night and Day are better then all the other contacts?
Don't you think your Night and Day would last longer and better if you didn't wear them to sleep?

My glasses prescription is -10.0, so no frame looks good on me. Contacts all the way (and I can see sharper out of them as well).

Integral said:

I've got keratoconus too :frown:

The RGP lenses are extremely irritating to wear. It usually took up to 20 mins just to put them on for me, and the most I could wear them was for 10 hours. I stopped wearing them after 3-4 months, and switched to glasses.

Luckily, it's progressing slowly for me, so I'm still able to see adequately without glasses/contact.

Integral, have you heard about the new collagen cross-linking treatment for keratoconus? I think they drop riboflavin into the cornea and shine uv rays, which strengthens the cornea and flattens it. Some published studies show that this method is quite safe and effective.

Integral said:
but these are not glasses that make you look smart or cool, they just make me look blind.

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Let me know how that goes, I am thinking about Laser surgery in the future. Not because I don't like wearing glasses, but because I find my eyes getting worse and worse as my prescription

One of my friends got Lasik done and has been very happy with the outcome (he couldn't see much of anything without his glasses, so that's why he decided to take the chance on it). He spent a lot of time researching the right person to do it. Lasik can be a great option, but it's definitely worth paying the extra for a good doctor and carefully researching that it is a good doctor. He requires no corrective lenses at all now, and had it done in both eyes, no complications. You want to make sure you find someone who has done a lot of procedures on their current equipment (doesn't matter if they've done a lot of procedures if they just got new equipment they are still getting used to using) and good success rates.

pivoxa15 said:
So you think the Night and Day are better then all the other contacts?
Don't you think your Night and Day would last longer and better if you didn't wear them to sleep?
They're thicker than other contacts, which, at first, irritated my eyelids since they were used to my thinner Acuvus. It depends on what you're looking for. For me, I wanted a pair I could sleep in mainly because 1) I want to be able to see if I need to get up in the middle of the night or if there's an emergency or something, and 2) I like to take short naps after classes and I would find it annoying to have to take my 24-hour pair out and put them back in after my nap. Sleeping with them in obviously doesn't let me eyes breathe well. I was just always in the habit of not fussing with my dailies. I would put a pair in and take them out. I never had to clean them or let them sit in solution.

As for lasting longer, the lenses are only rated for up to 1 month of wear, so I'm not trying to extend their lifetimes anyway (unless you can only keep them in for, say, three weeks instead of four). I suppose you could take them out before sleeping, but that was my objective in getting them the entire time. It varies per person.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I was told by my optometrist that you can only consider the surgery if your eyes have first stabilized (i.e. that they don't keep getting worse). But like Moonbear said, I'm sure you'll research this and find out if that is true.

pivoxa15 said:
Do people find this problem or have I been using glasses that are too cheap?
I am -5.0 so the lens is usually pretty thick.

Turbo, since you are an expert in the field, why don't you get laser treatment? Is the risk still too high? Or because of side effects? Or does the afraid of the eyes being short or long sighted again after laser treatment?
Do you think contacts damage your eyes in some way?
You can get some lightweight and very tough frames made of an allow with "memory" that bend right back to shape (mine were made by Marchon) and couple those with polycarbonate lenses. If you do that, and keep the lens diameter rather modest, you can end up with some fairly light eyeglasses, even with your prescription. Standard plastic lenses can be pretty heavy in your prescription, especially if the lenses are large. You should ask your optician if he or she can show you about what your glasses would weigh with this combination, and be sure that if you get some, the dispensing optician spends ample time fitting the glasses to your nose and ears, so you won't get sore spots. Also, people with rather strong corrections like yours almost always benefit from replacement nose-pads made of silicon, and they should be a bit larger than standard, and shaped and positioned to contact the surfaces of your nose evenly.

Regarding surgery, one of the ophthalmologists that I worked for was the first guy in the area to offer radial keratotomy, and he was also the first in the area to offer lasik, when that technology became accessible. I am somewhat nearsighted, with mild astigmatism, and I don't think that I want to have my eyes operated on to correct that. It's important to me to see excellent star-images through my telescope without any artifacts that might be induced by surgery. And as you mention, there is also the chance that surgical correction could still leave me needing to wear glasses in some situations, so I leave well-enough alone.

Contacts can certainly damage your eyes, especially if fine dust, pollen, etc gets under them and irritates/scratches your corneas. They can also trap pathogens that your tears might normally be able to flush out. Also, there have been product recalls involving cleaning/wetting solutions, and if you can avoid putting such materials in your eyes, you'll be safer (at least marginally). I don't want to give contacts a bum rap - just laying out the reasons that I stopped using them and went back to glasses full-time. Certainly, lots of people feel that the cosmetic effect of contacts or perhaps the convenience of the long-term wear contacts are worth the small risks. Note that although problems with contacts occur infrequently, the potential impact of such problems can be serious.

Last edited:
z-component said:
I was told by my optometrist that you can only consider the surgery if your eyes have first stabilized (i.e. that they don't keep getting worse). But like Moonbear said, I'm sure you'll research this and find out if that is true.

I don't think that was true in my friend's case. His eyes were still getting worse every year. Our guess is that he will need glasses again as he gets older, but he didn't do it to get out of wearing glasses...he'd have been okay with just an improvement and a lighter prescription when done...he did it because his prescriptions were getting progressively stronger and he was getting rather close to being blind without glasses. And, sometimes you do still need a light prescription when done, so it's best to go into it with the attitude that you might still need glasses, but just reset it back to a lighter prescription, than to expect you're going to walk away never needing glasses again.

It's best to bear in mind, too, that as we age, most of us develop presbyopia (inability to focus on close objects) and will need reading glasses for some at least some tasks. In my case, it made good sense to keep wearing glasses, and have the reading correction built into the bottoms of the progressive lenses.

Related to Discover the Benefits of 'Day and Night' Contact Lenses

What are day and night contact lenses?

Day and night contact lenses are a type of contact lens that can be worn continuously for up to 30 days, allowing you to see clearly both during the day and at night. They are designed to be worn while you sleep, so you can wake up and see clearly without needing to put in your contact lenses in the morning.

How do day and night contact lenses work?

Day and night contact lenses are made of a special material that allows oxygen to pass through to your eyes, even while you are sleeping. This keeps your eyes healthy and reduces the risk of infections. They also have a higher water content compared to traditional contact lenses, making them more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time.

What are the benefits of day and night contact lenses?

Day and night contact lenses offer numerous benefits, including convenience, improved vision, and comfort. They eliminate the need for daily removal and cleaning, making them a convenient option for those with busy lifestyles. They also provide clear vision both during the day and at night, and are often more comfortable to wear compared to traditional contact lenses.

Are day and night contact lenses safe?

Yes, day and night contact lenses are safe when used as directed by your eye care professional. It is important to follow the recommended wearing schedule and to properly clean and store the lenses to reduce the risk of eye infections. It is also important to have regular check-ups with your eye doctor to ensure the health of your eyes.

How do I know if day and night contact lenses are right for me?

Day and night contact lenses may be a suitable option for those who have a busy lifestyle and do not want to deal with the hassle of daily contact lens care. However, it is important to consult with your eye doctor to determine if they are the right choice for you based on your individual eye health and needs.