Discover the Piezoelectric Equations for Ceramic Multi-Layer Components

In summary: No. Power has the wrong units. A single activation might result in a defined amount of energy. Power is in watts, energy is in watt*seconds. An actuation might give 10 watts for 0.01 seconds resulting in 0.01 watt*seconds.
tbader
What are the governing equations to determine the output energy of a ceramic rectangular multi-layer piezoelectric component after one actuation? I am familiar with most of the properties and looking to characterize a piezo component from the direct piezo effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
While I don't know them off the top of my head, I know that I have seen the governing equations posted on the 'net. I suggest a search there to get what you want.

tbader said:
What are the governing equations to determine the output energy of a ceramic rectangular multi-layer piezoelectric component after one actuation? I am familiar with most of the properties and looking to characterize a piezo component from the direct piezo effect.
Here you go. http://www.piezo.com/tech2intropiezotrans.html

dlgoff said:
Thank you but I am looking for more specific information on the power output. The max deflection and voltage equation is useful but not applicable to what I am looking for

Dr.D said:
While I don't know them off the top of my head, I know that I have seen the governing equations posted on the 'net. I suggest a search there to get what you want.
Many of the searches use numerous different variables to characterize the output power. I am looking for more of a concise equation relative to my specific component of a ceramic multi-layer rectangular generator. I essentially am looking to find the error of the theoretical and calculated values. I have a piezo component that I hooked leads up to and measured the output power for one actuation by actuating at 10Hz and then dividing by 10 to get a per actuation value. I now am looking for the theoretical value, any help is appreciated.

The output power depends on the load connected to the cell. So you need two simultaneous equations, one for the cell and one for the load.

anorlunda said:
The output power depends on the load connected to the cell. So you need two simultaneous equations, one for the cell and one for the load.
What about for storage purposes like a small cap bank or battery?

tbader said:
What about for storage purposes like a small cap bank or battery?

The purpose doesn't matter.

anorlunda said:
The purpose doesn't matter.
So wouldn't you characterize this by just taking the input energy to the cap bank? The electrical contribution equation that I have seen in terms of material properties is; We = V/2 * k332*s33D*P2

What other equation would be needed?

K33 = Mechanical coupling factor
s33=elastic compliance
P=Pressure piezo is exposed to
V = volume

Think of it this way, power is voltage times current. V*I
If the load is an open circuit, no current, I=0 P=0
If the load is a short circuit, no voltage, V=0 P=0
If your circuit looks like this, the important second equation, is ##I=C\frac{dV}{dt}##
a.jpg

P is the piezoelectric device. The diode is there to prevent current flow backwards when you're not pushing.

The really hard part is to determine the voltage versus time curve of each activation of the piezoelectric device. I fear that it is more complicated than you're ready for.

This article may help. Look especially at the references linked. Some of those devices may be similar to what you want to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_harvesting#Piezoelectric

You haven't said how much power you need to be successful. Most piezoelectric devices can make s few milliwatts in the proper circuit.

anorlunda said:
The really hard part is to determine the voltage versus time curve of each activation of the piezoelectric device. I fear that it is more complicated than you're ready for.

How would you propose going about this?

I am looking to achieve about 10mW per actuation with about 20Hz. Obviously the force is going to impact the overall power as a larger force yields a larger output. Most achieve the most power at resonance which is the problem I am currently dealing with.

tbader said:
How would you propose going about this?

I would use an oscilloscope. I would also consider a literature search for the results of experiments and for tips on how to improve performance.

anorlunda said:
I would use an oscilloscope. I would also consider a literature search for the results of experiments and for tips on how to improve performance.
So if I set up the piezo in a circuit to determine the power and at let's say 15Hz the output is 50mW. Does that mean per actuation (every 66ms [1/15Hz]), the output would be 3.33 mW (50mW/15Hz). Does this make sense on how you would characterize output power based on a single actuation?

tbader said:
Does this make sense on how you would characterize output power based on a single actuation?

No. Power has the wrong units. A single activation might result in a defined amount of energy. Power is in watts, energy is in watt*seconds. An actuation might give 10 watts for 0.01 seconds resulting in 0.01 watt*seconds. If you get 10 such activation per second, the average power over the second would be 0.0001 watts.

But even the amount of energy per activation is not constant. As the capacitor charges, it approaches full charge and the energy added for each activation gradually goes to zero.

The short answer is that you're not going to find a simple number or a simple formula to give you an answer. It will take either a very complicated analysis or some experimentation. If complicated analysis is not your thing, some benchtop experiments might be your best choice.

Likes jim hardy

What is the piezoelectric effect?

The piezoelectric effect is the ability of certain materials, such as crystals and ceramics, to generate an electrical charge in response to mechanical stress or pressure.

How do piezoelectric equations work?

Piezoelectric equations describe the relationship between the mechanical stress or pressure applied to a piezoelectric material and the resulting electrical charge or voltage produced. They are based on the principle that a change in shape or size of a piezoelectric material can generate an electrical charge.

What are the applications of piezoelectric equations?

Piezoelectric equations are used in a wide range of applications, including sensors, actuators, transducers, and energy harvesting devices. They are also commonly used in medical equipment, such as ultrasound machines, and in consumer electronics, such as speakers and microphones.

What types of materials exhibit piezoelectric behavior?

Crystals and ceramics, such as quartz, tourmaline, and lead zirconate titanate (PZT), are commonly used as piezoelectric materials due to their strong piezoelectric properties. However, certain polymers and biological materials, such as bone and DNA, also exhibit piezoelectric behavior.

What are the limitations of piezoelectric equations?

Piezoelectric equations are based on certain assumptions and can be affected by factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, they may not accurately predict the behavior of complex piezoelectric systems or materials with low piezoelectric coefficients.