Discovering Research with Semantic Scholar

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, Semantic Scholar is a free online program created by the Allen Institute to help with research. It uses AI to recommend papers to read and provides access to available pdfs. Some people also use Research Gate, Academia, academic websites, BioRvix, and Google Scholar to find papers, but Semantic Scholar may be a faster and more efficient option. Others have found it to be quite useful in discovering new papers.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just got an email solicitation from Semantic Scholar. It is a free online program (made by the Allen Institute to facilitate research) that makes AI generated recommendations of papers for you to read and has access to available pdfs.
I have been downloading papers from Research Gate, and less frequently Academia. For some people, I get them from peoples academic websites. Sometimes BioRvix or Google Scholar. This has worked pretty well for me.
The Semantic Scholar might find papers I would be interested in faster.

Anyone else had an experience with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have used it a bit now.
It seems pretty useful. Found a bunch of new papers.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is Semantic Scholar?

Semantic Scholar is an artificial intelligence-powered search engine designed specifically for scientific research. It uses natural language processing and machine learning algorithms to analyze and understand the content of research papers, making it easier for researchers to find relevant and reliable information.

2. How does Semantic Scholar work?

Semantic Scholar uses a combination of natural language processing, machine learning, and data mining techniques to analyze and understand the content of research papers. It identifies key concepts, relationships, and citations within the papers and creates a knowledge graph that connects related research. This allows for more accurate and efficient search results.

3. What sets Semantic Scholar apart from other search engines?

Unlike traditional search engines, Semantic Scholar is specifically designed for scientific research. It uses advanced AI technologies to understand the content of research papers and provide more relevant and reliable results. It also includes features such as citation analysis and author profiles to help researchers discover new and influential work in their field.

4. Is Semantic Scholar free to use?

Yes, Semantic Scholar is completely free to use for both researchers and the general public. There are no subscription fees or paywalls. However, some publishers may require a subscription or payment to access the full text of certain papers.

5. Can I contribute to Semantic Scholar?

Yes, researchers can contribute to Semantic Scholar by uploading their papers to the platform. This allows their work to be indexed and included in the knowledge graph, making it more discoverable to other researchers. Additionally, Semantic Scholar also accepts feedback and suggestions for improving its algorithms and search results.