Visiting Scholar @Berkeley: tips

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has been given the opportunity to stay at Berkeley for six months as a visiting scholar during the next spring semester. They are seeking advice on the best places to live and how to find housing without a car, as well as the ideal budget for housing. They also ask for tips on having a successful research project during their time at Berkeley. Other forum users offer advice on setting reasonable goals, making time for settling in, and building good relationships with colleagues. The conversation concludes with the person expressing their realization about the importance of informal communication and thanking another forum user for offering to be contacted for further advice.
Mishra
Hello,

I was recently given the opportunity to stay at Berkeley for 6months as a visiting scholar during the next spring semester. I would like to know if anyone has been living in the region and ask a few questions.

Where is it better to live and what is the best way to find a share appartment (I won't have a car)?
What should my housing budget be ? etc.

I know I can find pretty much everything on google and Berkeley's website but I would like to have some feedback from people on this forum. I am mostly looking for some advices and tips that one would not find on official websites and trip advisor! Anything that comes to your mind please do not hesitate!

Also, if there are any, what is the key for a successful 6months research project?!VM

Physics news on Phys.org
You can PM me, I am a student at berkeley

Likes gracy and berkeman
Mishra said:
Also, if there are any, what is the key for a successful 6months research project?!

I'd say you shouldn't expect to do a years work in those six months. Which means you should try to set a reasonable goal.
Also reserve time for settling in. I can't put a time frame on this, maybe someone else can give a coarse estimate for that.

Be sure to have a good understanding/relationship with colleagues. (or as good as possible)
I mean by this that it's easier to communicate in an informal way, it took me a while to adjust to this with my supervisor myself.
It makes everything a lot easier and quicker.

Hi and thanks to the both of you. I had very little free time to anwser sorry for the delay!

JorisL said:
I'd say you shouldn't expect to do a years work in those six months. Which means you should try to set a reasonable goal.
Also reserve time for settling in. I can't put a time frame on this, maybe someone else can give a coarse estimate for that.

Be sure to have a good understanding/relationship with colleagues. (or as good as possible)
I mean by this that it's easier to communicate in an informal way, it took me a while to adjust to this with my supervisor myself.
It makes everything a lot easier and quicker.

I realized that (the hard way) during my present internship. This will be even more true since I am not specialized on the topic of this visit in Berkeley.@Maylis: thanks I will contact you asap!

Best

1. What is the application process for becoming a visiting scholar at Berkeley?

The application process for becoming a visiting scholar at Berkeley typically involves filling out an online application, submitting a CV or resume, and providing letters of recommendation. Some departments may also require a research proposal or statement of purpose.

2. How long can a visiting scholar stay at Berkeley?

The length of a visiting scholar's stay at Berkeley varies depending on the individual's program and funding. Some scholars may stay for a few months, while others may stay for a year or longer.

3. What are the benefits of being a visiting scholar at Berkeley?

As a visiting scholar at Berkeley, you will have access to top-notch research facilities and resources, the opportunity to collaborate with renowned scholars, and the chance to network with other visiting scholars from around the world. You may also have the opportunity to teach or present your research at seminars and conferences.

4. Are there any financial support options for visiting scholars at Berkeley?

There are some funding options available for visiting scholars at Berkeley, such as grants, fellowships, and scholarships. However, it is important to note that funding is limited and highly competitive, so it is recommended to secure your own funding before applying.

5. What are some tips for making the most out of my time as a visiting scholar at Berkeley?

Some tips for making the most out of your time as a visiting scholar at Berkeley include networking with other scholars and faculty, attending seminars and conferences, taking advantage of resources and facilities, and immersing yourself in the academic and cultural atmosphere of the university and the surrounding community.