Discrepancies in Jackson, 3rd Edition

• Classical
  • Thread starter physlosopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, someone added the cover of the third edition to a PDF version of the book, and someone else's physical copy of the book has a different problem 1.14 than the electronic version.
physlosopher
I hope this is the right place to ask a question like this!

I've seen two different versions of problem 1.14 in the third edition of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. Has anyone else noticed this? My friend has two PDF copies of the book, each of which has a different problem 1.14. We chalked this up to the PDFs being illicit versions found on the internet.

I just ordered the book from Amazon, and sure enough the PDF preview on the website matched one of the versions of the problem from the PDFs, so we figured that one was the "real" version. But when I received the physical textbook, it had the other problem 1.14. There's also some weird typesetting going on in the physical book, only in the statement of problem 1.14, which makes me feel like there's something weird going on. Has anyone else had issues with problems not matching up across third editions of this book? Any idea how the Amazon preview could not match the physical book, even though the both claim to be the third edition? Could an earlier printing have had one version of the problem and a later one have another?

Thanks!

• Wow
Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
My version of Jackson Third edition has only 13 problems for chapter one. The mystery deepens...

• Wow
Likes rsk and Demystifier
My version of Jackson (3rd edition, blue book) which I got back in 2011 at my sister's university used book store has an electrostatic Green's function for problem 1.14 and has 24 problems for chapter 1.

Check the ISBN, mine is: 978-0-471-30932-1, maybe there is an international version?

Also, flipping through Jackson makes me remember how much I hated this course, but I think without the pressure of a timed semester, electrodynamics is pretty fun.

romsofia said:
My version of Jackson (3rd edition, blue book) which I got back in 2011 at my sister's university used book store has an electrostatic Green's function for problem 1.14 and has 24 problems for chapter 1.

Check the ISBN, mine is: 978-0-471-30932-1, maybe there is an international version?

Also, flipping through Jackson makes me remember how much I hated this course, but I think without the pressure of a timed semester, electrodynamics is pretty fun.
Looking closely at my electronic version, I believe it is the first version (1962) and someone just added the cover of the third version. PDF versions can be deceptive! My physical book is the Second version and it has 20 problems for chapter 1. Problem 1.14 goes as 'Consider a charge-free volume V bounded by a surface S...'

Likes Demystifier
romsofia said:
Same with mine 3rd edition.

I also have the 2nd edition, it has 20 problems and Problem 14 is different.

The 2nd edition is better anyway, because it uses the CGS system of units. SCNR.

• Haha
Likes atyy

1. What are the main discrepancies in the 3rd edition of Jackson?

The main discrepancies in the 3rd edition of Jackson include errors in data, inconsistencies in experimental methods, and discrepancies in results between the 3rd edition and previous editions.

2. How do these discrepancies affect the validity of the research presented in Jackson?

These discrepancies can significantly impact the validity of the research presented in Jackson. Inaccurate data and inconsistent methods can lead to unreliable results, making it difficult to draw accurate conclusions from the research.

3. What could be the possible causes of these discrepancies?

The discrepancies in Jackson could be caused by human error, faulty equipment, or changes in the experimental conditions. It is also possible that the researchers may have misinterpreted or misreported their findings.

4. Has the author addressed these discrepancies in any way?

Yes, the author has addressed some of the discrepancies in the 3rd edition of Jackson by acknowledging them and providing explanations for the discrepancies. However, not all discrepancies have been addressed, and some may still remain unresolved.

5. How can these discrepancies be avoided in future editions of Jackson?

To avoid discrepancies in future editions of Jackson, it is crucial for researchers to carefully review and verify their data and methods before publishing their work. Collaborating with other scientists and conducting thorough peer reviews can also help identify and address any potential discrepancies.