Discrete class D amplifier outputs low volume

In summary, Dave has created a discrete class D amplifier and it works great at 6 volts, but he wants to increase the voltage to output a higher volume sound. He has problems with the circuit diagram and is looking for suggestions. He should ground the junction of R15 and D3 to kill all base drive so both high and low side MOSFETs turn off. Dave also has a datasheet for the MOSFET.
Togomori
Hello everyone,
I have a discrete class D project that I need help with but since I'm not an analog guy I got a problem. So far I got everything set up and the discrete class D works perfectly. But only at maximum of 6 volts otherwise the Transistor M3 gets really hot and burned, how do I solve this problem? I want to increase the voltage in order to output a higher volume sound from the speaker. (Please find the circuit on the attachment)

I tried taking off the cap and resistor across the two transistors, it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• ClassD circuit.jpg
    ClassD circuit.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,147
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have several problems with your schematic. Is it something you have designed, or have you found it somewhere?

By the way a class D amplifier is digital, not analog.

Svein said:
By the way a class D amplifier is digital, not analog.

That's misleading and a common misunderstanding. Tho they can be used for digital use, PWM etc
they are also commonly used as audio amplifiers with efficiencies better than Class A, B or AB amplifier configurationsDave

Welcome to PF.
The C and R snubber across the MOSFETS are needed. They are not the problem.

For M3 to get hot it must be conducting while M2 is also conducting. M3 gets the current at the same time as voltage because M2, being N'chan, is usually stronger than the P'chan M3.

This is probably a bias problem, but it could possibly be an ultrasonic oscillation of the MOSFET gate(s). You should try between 4R7 and 15R between the complementary emitter follower and the gate of the MOSFETS. That will usually quieten parasitic gate oscillations during transition.

If the circuit diagram was better quality it would be easier to analyse the situation and refer to parts by designation.

After anti-parasitic Rs are installed, test it then if not improved, the next step would be to test bias voltage levels.
Ground the junction of R15? (27k4) and D3 to kill all base drive so both high and low side MOSFETs turn off.
Does M3 still get hot ?

do you have a datasheet for the mosfet?

1. What is a discrete class D amplifier?

A discrete class D amplifier is a type of audio amplifier that uses transistors and other discrete components to amplify and control the audio signal. It is known for its high efficiency and low distortion, making it a popular choice for audio applications.

2. Why is the output volume low on my discrete class D amplifier?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that the input signal is too weak or distorted, resulting in a low output volume. Another possibility is that the amplifier is not properly connected to the speakers or there may be an issue with the speakers themselves. It is also possible that the amplifier is not receiving enough power, which can affect the output volume.

3. How can I improve the volume on my discrete class D amplifier?

To improve the volume on your discrete class D amplifier, you can try adjusting the input signal, checking the connections and power supply, and making sure the speakers are functioning properly. You can also try adjusting the gain or volume controls on the amplifier itself.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a discrete class D amplifier?

While discrete class D amplifiers have many benefits, they also have some limitations. One disadvantage is that they can be more complex and expensive to design and build compared to other types of amplifiers. They also may not be suitable for all audio applications, as they may not provide the same level of sound quality as other types of amplifiers.

5. How do I troubleshoot low volume issues with my discrete class D amplifier?

If you are experiencing low volume with your discrete class D amplifier, you can try checking the input signal, connections, power supply, and speakers as mentioned before. You can also consult the amplifier's manual or contact the manufacturer for further troubleshooting tips. If the issue persists, it may be a sign of a malfunctioning amplifier that requires professional repair or replacement.