Do class F amplifiers work in linear mode or CCM?

In summary, the main issue here is understanding how the transistor in class F operation works, specifically whether it operates in linear mode or current control mode. The purpose of class F amplifiers is to have the switch fully on or fully off, so any time spent in linear mode results in wasted power. The provided link may offer more insight on this topic.
Fawkes
Hey guys, I am dealing with a slight issue here, I am learning the basics of class F amplifiers. but I am not able to understand that whether the transistor in class f operation works in linear mode or current control mode? Also i am dealing this problems at power levels of 10W to 25W scales, if it matters...

any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what you mean by current control mode, but the whole point of class F amplifiers is for the switch to be saturated (fully on) or cutoff (fully off). Any time spent in actual linear mode (for example, while switching) creates wasted power.

This will probably tell you way more than what I know.

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/RF/Papers%20and%20Articles/102Behaviors_of_ClassF_and_ClassF1_Amplifiers.pdf

Likes Fawkes

1. What is a class F amplifier?

A class F amplifier is a type of power amplifier that uses a specific topology to achieve high efficiency. It is commonly used in radio frequency applications.

2. How does a class F amplifier work?

A class F amplifier works by using a tuned output network that allows the amplifier to operate in a high-efficiency mode. This network allows the amplifier to switch between two states: full conduction and zero current.

3. Can class F amplifiers work in linear mode?

Yes, class F amplifiers can work in linear mode. However, they are not designed for this mode of operation and may not perform as well as other amplifier classes in linear mode.

4. What is CCM in relation to class F amplifiers?

CCM stands for continuous conduction mode, which is the mode of operation where the output current of an amplifier is always flowing. Class F amplifiers can operate in CCM, but they are typically designed for discontinuous conduction mode (DCM) for higher efficiency.

5. Are class F amplifiers better than other amplifier classes?

It depends on the application. Class F amplifiers are known for their high efficiency, but they may not be the best choice for all applications. Other amplifier classes such as class A, B, and AB may be better suited for certain applications.