Solution Expansion of ##A^{\mu}## when ##L \rightarrow \infty##

• I
  • Thread starter JD_PM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of a field and simplifying the problem by enclosing the mechanical system in a finite volume. The solution expansion in terms of the vector potential is then generalized for an infinitely large volume, and the ladder operators are rescaled accordingly. The discussion also mentions the choice of polarization degrees of freedom and the requirement for the field to vanish at infinity.
JD_PM
TL;DR Summary
I wanted to discuss the generalization of free-Maxwell's solution. More insight is very welcomed.
Please note that

I'll write ##A^{\mu} := A^{\mu}(x)## for simplicity.

I'll work in natural units.

The Lagrangian density ##\mathscr{L} = -\frac 1 2 (\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu})(\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu})## has equations of motion

$$\Box A^{\mu}=0 \tag{1}$$

We expand ##A^{\mu}## in a complete set of solutions of the harmonic equation ##(1)##

$$A^{\mu}=A^{\mu+}+A^{\mu-} \tag{2.1}$$

Where

$$A^{\mu+}=\sum_{r=0}^3 \sum_{\vec k}\Big(\frac{1}{2V \omega_{\vec k}} \Big)^{1/2} \epsilon_r^{\mu}(\vec k) a_r(\vec k)e^{-ik \cdot x} \tag{2.2}$$

$$A^{\mu-} = \sum_{r=0}^3 \sum_{\vec k}\Big(\frac{1}{2V \omega_{\vec k}} \Big)^{1/2} \epsilon_r^{\mu}(\vec k) a_r^{\dagger}(\vec k)e^{ik \cdot x} \tag{2.3}$$

And

$$V=L^3, \ \ \ \ \omega_{\vec k}:= |\vec k|=k^0$$

Alright. I started wondering why there was a volume term involved in the solution expansion. After reading a bit I understood why. It has to do with the concept of a field (which is defined at every spacetime point and describes mechanical systems with infinite degrees of freedom) and making the problem simpler.

We are dealing with the vector potential ##A(\vec x , t)## which, at a given instant of time ##t##, must take a value at every spatial point ##\vec x##.

To simplify the problem then, the mechanical system is enclosed in a cube of volume ##V=L^3## and some periodic boundary conditions are imposed

$$x \approx x+L, \ y \approx y+L, \ z \approx z+L, \tag{3}$$

I understand that by doing that, we go from having an arbitrary 3-vector ##\vec k \in \Bbb R^3## to ##\vec k \in 2\pi/L## (where the ##2\pi## factor is chosen so that the solution-expansion term ##\exp(\mp ik \cdot x)=\exp(\mp ik^0 \cdot x^0) \exp(\pm i \vec k \cdot \vec x)## is single-valued).

Thus I understand that ##(2.2)## and ##(2.3)## are solutions of the mechanical system enclosed in a 3D lattice.

Once here: what if we wanted to generalize ##(2.2)## and ##(2.3)## for an infinitely large volume ##V_{\infty}##? Well, then we should take ##L \rightarrow \infty## in our periodic boundary conditions ##(3)##. In such conditions the summation becomes an integral; i.e. (Mandl & Shaw page 12, footnote ##9##)

$$\frac{1}{V} \sum_{\vec k} \rightarrow \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \int d \vec k \tag{*}$$

So I'd say that ##(2.2)## and ##(2.3)## generalize to

$$A^{\mu+}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{16 \pi^{3}}} \sum_{r=0}^3 \int d \vec k \Big(\frac{1}{\omega_{\vec k}} \Big)^{1/2} \epsilon_r^{\mu}(\vec k) \tilde a_r(\vec k)e^{-ik \cdot x} \tag{4.1}$$

$$A^{\mu-} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{16 \pi^{3}}} \sum_{r=0}^3 \int d \vec k \Big(\frac{1}{\omega_{\vec k}} \Big)^{1/2} \epsilon_r^{\mu}(\vec k) \tilde a_r^{\dagger}(\vec k)e^{ik \cdot x} \tag{4.2}$$

Comparing to ##(2.2), (2.3)## we notice that the ladder operators get rescaled

$$a_r (\vec k) \rightarrow \tilde a_r (\vec k) = \sqrt{\frac{V}{(2\pi)^3}} a_r(\vec k) \tag{5.1}$$

And

$$\tilde a_r^{\dagger} (\vec k) =\Big( \tilde a_r(\vec k) \Big)^{\dagger} \tag{5.2}$$

Do you agree with the generalization ##(4.1), (4.2)##?

Extra insight is very welcomed!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your (4.1) and (4.2). In fact, that's pretty standard in QFT literature.

But there should be only 2 polarization degrees of freedom, at least when you use the simpler solution of the quantization problem starting from a completely fixed Coulomb gauge, i.e., ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{A}^{+}|\text{phys} \rangle=0##. In this gauge it automatically follows for the the free field that ##A^0=0## and you have only the two transverse polarization degrees of freedom. You can choose them as helicity eigenfunctions ##\pm 1## (corresponding to left- and right-circularly polarized plane waves).

Likes dextercioby
As the volume of your box goes infinity your ladder operators blow up. Infinity isn't a number, it's a place. You can't impose boundary conditions with a non-number. That's why people usually require the field to vanish at infinity.

1. What is the concept of solution expansion in relation to ##A^{\mu}## when ##L \rightarrow \infty##?

Solution expansion refers to the mathematical process of finding a series of solutions to a problem, where each successive solution is a more accurate approximation than the previous one. In the case of ##A^{\mu}## when ##L \rightarrow \infty##, this means finding a series of solutions that become more accurate as the length of the system (L) approaches infinity.

2. Why is it important to consider ##L \rightarrow \infty## when studying the solution expansion of ##A^{\mu}##?

Considering ##L \rightarrow \infty## is important because it allows us to understand how the behavior of ##A^{\mu}## changes as the system becomes larger and larger. In many cases, this can provide insight into the behavior of the system in the limit of infinite length, which can be useful for making predictions or understanding the underlying principles at play.

3. How does the solution expansion of ##A^{\mu}## change as ##L \rightarrow \infty##?

The solution expansion of ##A^{\mu}## typically becomes more complex and involves an increasing number of terms as ##L## gets larger. This is because as the system becomes larger, more and more factors come into play that affect the behavior of ##A^{\mu}##, and these factors must be taken into account in the solution expansion.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying the solution expansion of ##A^{\mu}## when ##L \rightarrow \infty##?

One example of a real-world application is in the study of heat transfer in long, thin materials such as wires or pipes. By studying the solution expansion of ##A^{\mu}## as ##L \rightarrow \infty##, we can gain insight into how heat is transferred through these materials and make predictions about their behavior in different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the solution expansion of ##A^{\mu}## when ##L \rightarrow \infty##?

One limitation is that the solution expansion may only be valid for certain types of systems or under certain conditions. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and approximations made in the solution expansion, and to ensure that they are appropriate for the specific system being studied. Additionally, the solution expansion may become increasingly complex and difficult to work with as the system size increases, making it challenging to obtain accurate results.