Discrete M: Show that if A ⊆ B and C ⊆ D, then A X C ⊆ B X D

• Thread starter leo255
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about subsets and cartesian products, where the goal is to prove that if A is a subset of B and C is a subset of D, then the cartesian product of A and C is a subset of the cartesian product of B and D. The discussion includes definitions and attempts at a solution, where it is mentioned that for a given value x, if A is a subset of B then x belongs to A and x belongs to B, and if C is a subset of D then x belongs to C and x belongs to D. However, the correct definition of a subset is pointed out and the correct approach to the problem is suggested.
leo255

Homework Statement

[/B]
Sorry that I wasn't able to fit everything in the title. I got 2/3 on this on my quiz, and am wondering what I did wrong, or could have done better. Thanks in advance.

Show that if A ⊆ B and C ⊆ D, then A X C ⊆ B X D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For a given value x, if A ⊆ B, then x ∈ A and x ∈ B.
For a given value x, if C ⊆ D, then x i∈ C and x ∈ D.

Cartesian product of (A, C) means that all ordered pairs, (a, c) are included.
Cartesian product of (B, D) means that all ordered pairs, (b, d) are included.

A X C ⊆ B X D

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know why your instructor docked you points on your quiz?

Here's an alternative route to getting started that's based on what you already have:
For some x ∈ A ⊆ B, then x ∈ A and x ∈ B. Similarly, for some y ∈ C ⊆ D, then y ∈ C and y ∈ D.

Cartesian products don't necessarily comprise of (x,x); we have to assume that there are two arbitrary elements of the two products, hence why I used (x,y).. We assume the statement above is true based off of what you are given to believe is true, which is that A ⊆ B and C ⊆ D. What conclusion can you draw from what we just stated in the italics?

Likes leo255
You really haven't proven anything! You start by stating some definitions (always a good start) then simply assert the conclusion.

To prove "[itex]X\subset Y[/itex]" start with "if [itex]p\in X[/itex]" and use the definitions of X and Y to conclude "therefore [itex]p \in Y[/itex]". Here [itex]X= A\times C[/itex]. Now, if [itex]p\in A\times C[/itex], what can you say about p?

Likes leo255
leo255 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Sorry that I wasn't able to fit everything in the title. I got 2/3 on this on my quiz, and am wondering what I did wrong, or could have done better. Thanks in advance.

Show that if A ⊆ B and C ⊆ D, then A X C ⊆ B X D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

That isn't the definition of A ⊆ B. Never mind that the statement isn't even true. You might start by looking up the correct definition of A ⊆ B.

LCKurtz said:
That isn't the definition of A ⊆ B. Never mind that the statement isn't even true. You might start by looking up the correct definition of A ⊆ B.

Yes, you are correct - Math is not my strongest area, and I did not state that correctly. A being a subset means that A is a part of B (i.e. it is contained in B). Also, it is a proper subset if it is not equal to B.

leo255 said:
Yes, you are correct - Math is not my strongest area, and I did not state that correctly. A being a subset means that A is a part of B (i.e. it is contained in B). Also, it is a proper subset if it is not equal to B.
While that is an informal understanding, it is not the definition, and you need to use the correct definition to prove your proposition. The statement that A is a subset of B means if ##a \in A## then ##a \in B##. So for your problem, you need to show, step by step, using what you are given, that if ##p \in A\times C## then ##p \in B\times D##.

Likes leo255
leo255 said:
If [itex]x\in A[/itex] then [itex]x\in B[/itex]

For a given value x, if C ⊆ D, then x i∈ C and x ∈ D.
If [itex]x\in c[/itex] then [itex]x\in D[/itex]

Likes leo255

1. What does "A ⊆ B" mean in this context?

"A ⊆ B" means that A is a subset of B, which means that every element in A is also in B.

2. How does this statement relate to discrete mathematics?

This statement is an example of a proof in discrete mathematics, which deals with finite, countable, and discrete structures and objects, such as sets and functions.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

For example, if A = {1, 2} and B = {1, 2, 3}, then A ⊆ B because every element in A (1 and 2) is also in B. Similarly, if C = {a, b} and D = {a, b, c}, then C ⊆ D because every element in C (a and b) is also in D. Therefore, according to the statement, A X C (which is {(1, a), (1, b), (2, a), (2, b)}) is a subset of B X D (which is {(1, a), (1, b), (1, c), (2, a), (2, b), (2, c)}).

4. What is the significance of proving this statement?

Proving this statement helps to demonstrate the properties and relationships of sets and how they can be used to manipulate and create new sets. It also shows the importance of understanding the concept of subsets in discrete mathematics.

5. How can this statement be useful in real-world applications?

This statement can be applied in various fields, such as computer science, cryptography, and probability, where sets and functions are used to represent and analyze discrete structures. For example, in computer science, this statement can be used to prove the correctness of algorithms that involve manipulating sets of data.