Discrete Math Exam Proofs: Senioritis & Graduation

In summary, these potential proofs for the discrete math exam on Tuesday are written by an expert summarizer and are easy to understand. If you understand the definitions of functions and unions, you can solve these problems easily.
Shackleford
These are potential proofs for the discrete math exam on Tuesday. I haven't been able to find proofs online. I have senioritis, and I'm graduating in a few weeks.

If h ∪ g is a function, then h and g are functions.

Is a proof by contraposition the best way to prove this? If you assume h is not a function or g is not a function, then that would imply that h ∪ g is not a function.

Let h and g be functions. If Dom(h) = A, Dom(g) = B, and A ∩B = ∅, then h ∪ g is a function.

I understand why the domains have to be disjoint. You could run into a problem where an element that appears in both domains is not well-defined.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one what you wrote is correct, assuming you understand why the implication is true.

Your remark on the second one is accurate. Are you confused as to why it's always true when the domains are disjoint?

These problems are essentially solved by just writing down the definition of a function, writing down the definition of union and putting the two together

Office_Shredder said:
For the first one what you wrote is correct, assuming you understand why the implication is true.

Your remark on the second one is accurate. Are you confused as to why it's always true when the domains are disjoint?

These problems are essentially solved by just writing down the definition of a function, writing down the definition of union and putting the two together

To show something is a function, the professor wants us to show that (in this case) h ∪ g is a relation, Dom(h ∪ g) = A ∪ B, and it is well-defined. I suppose the most direct way is considering the functions as relations and just using the definitions of functions and unions.

What Office Shredder said really, I don't know if you're used to using first order logic but it'll simplify things a whole lot, I'd use some of that. I'd also use the notion of a graph of a function too

I remember my first experience with doing functiony proofs... they were a pain -.-

Last edited:

Related to Discrete Math Exam Proofs: Senioritis & Graduation

1. What is Discrete Math Exam Proofs?

Discrete Math Exam Proofs is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers, graphs, and sets. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to solve problems and prove theorems.

2. What is Senioritis?

Senioritis is a term used to describe the lack of motivation and focus that some seniors experience towards the end of their high school or college career. It can lead to a decline in academic performance and a sense of apathy towards schoolwork.

3. How does Senioritis affect students during their Discrete Math Exam?

Senioritis can have a negative impact on students taking a Discrete Math Exam. It can cause them to lose focus and motivation, leading to careless mistakes and a lack of effort. This can result in lower exam scores and a lower overall grade in the course.

4. What strategies can help students overcome Senioritis during their Discrete Math Exam?

To overcome Senioritis during a Discrete Math Exam, students can try setting specific goals and creating a study schedule to stay motivated. They can also seek help from their teacher or peers if they are struggling with the material. It's also important to get enough rest and stay physically and mentally healthy during this time.

5. How does the concept of graduation tie into Discrete Math Exam Proofs?

Graduation is a major milestone in a student's academic career, and passing the Discrete Math Exam is often a requirement for graduation. By studying and applying the principles of Discrete Math Exam Proofs, students can demonstrate their understanding and mastery of the subject, thus fulfilling the graduation requirement.