Discrete Valuation Homework: Prove Valuation Ring and Unit Description

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary: I suppose it would be ##\geq## but I don't think that matters here. I have to admit I haven't read the whole discussion, so I don't know if you have already established that ##\nu## is a function into the integers. If not, you should do so (it's not hard). If so, you should define what ##\nu(x)## is for ##x=0## (it should be ##0##, but an assignment is better than no definition at all).In summary, the problem asks to prove that the corresponding valuation ring ##R## is the ring of all rational numbers whose denominators are relatively prime to ##p##. The units of this valuation ring are
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##p## and let ##\nu : \mathbb{Q}^\times \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}## be defined by ##\nu (\frac{a}{b}) = \alpha##, where ##\frac{a}{b} = p^\alpha \frac{c}{d}##, where ##p## divides neither ##c## nor ##d##. Prove that the corresponding valuation ring ##R := \{x \in \mathbb{Q}^\times ~|~ \nu(x) \ge 0 \} \cup \{0\}## is the ring of all rational numbers whose denominators are relatively prime to ##p##. Describe the units of this valuation ring.

Homework Equations

Let ##K## be some field. A function ##\nu : K^\times \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}## is a discrete valuation if

##\nu(ab) = \nu(a) + \nu(b)##

##\nu## is surjective

##\nu(x+y) \ge \min \{\nu(x), \nu(y)\}## if ##x+y \neq 0##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I find this problem rather annoyingly ill-posed. For one, it seems that the author of this problem presupposes that every rational number ##\frac{a}{b}## as ##p^\alpha \frac{c}{d}## for some integers ##\alpha##, ##b##, and ##c## satisfying the above conditions, without offering a proof of this or asking to prove this as a part of the problem. Moreover, we aren't even asked to show that this is a well-defined discrete valuation. So, I would like to prove some of these things and then discuss the difficulty I am having with this problem.

First, let me prove every rational number ##\frac{a}{b}## can be written in the previously mentioned form. If neither ##a## nor ##b## have the prime ##p## appearing in their factorization, then ##\frac{a}{b} = p^0 \frac{a}{b}##. Now, if both ##a## and ##b## have ##p## appearing in their factorization in the form ##p^\alpha## and ##p^\beta##, respectively, then ##\frac{a}{b} = \frac{p^\alpha c}{p^\beta d} = p^{\alpha - \beta} \frac{c}{d}##.

Now I will prove that ##\nu## is well-defined. Suppose that ##p^\alpha \frac{a}{b} = p^\beta \frac{c}{d}## but ##\alpha - \beta \neq 0##. Without loss of generality, suppose ##\alpha - \beta > 0##. Then ##p^{\alpha - \beta}ad = bc## implies ##p^{\alpha - \beta} |cd##, and because ##p|p^{\alpha-\beta}##, we have ##p|cd##. But this implies either ##p|c## or ##p|d##, both of which are contradictions. Hence, ##\alpha = \beta##. This gives us

##\nu(p^{\alpha} \frac{a}{b}) = \alpha = \beta = \nu (p^\beta \frac{c}{d})##,

thereby establishing that ##\nu## is well-defined.

How does this sound so far? The following is where difficulty begins to emerge.

Now I am trying to show that it is a discrete valuation. Showing that ##\nu## satisfies ##\nu(ab) = \nu(a) + \nu(b)## is rather easy. For surjectivity, if ##n## is some integer, then ##\nu(p^n \frac{p+1}{p-1}) = n##, where ##p## clearly divides neither the numerator nor denominator. I am having a little trouble showing ##\nu## possesses the last property: Consider ##p^\alpha \frac{a}{b}## and ##p^\beta \frac{c}{d}##, and suppose that ##\alpha < \beta##. Then

##\nu(p^\alpha \frac{a}{b} + p^\beta \frac{c}{d}) = \nu( p^\beta \frac{p^{\alpha - \beta} ad + cd}{bd}) = \beta \ge \min \{\alpha, \beta \} = \alpha##

However, it seems possible that ##p## could divide the numerator of ##\frac{p^{\alpha - \beta} ad + cd}{bd}##...

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Now I will prove that ##\nu## is well-defined. Suppose that ##p^\alpha \frac{a}{b} = p^\beta \frac{c}{d}## but ##\alpha - \beta \neq 0##. Without loss of generality, suppose ##\alpha - \beta > 0##. Then ##p^{\alpha - \beta}ad = bc## implies ##p^{\alpha - \beta} |cd##
I don't follow this step. Why does that last statement follow?

In any case, I don't think it's necessary since part of our supposition should also be that ##p## does not divide any of ##a,b,c,d## in this case. So by uniqueness of prime factorisations we get a contradiction by prime-factoring both sides of the equation ##p^{\alpha - \beta}ad = bc## and observing that the factorisation of the left-hand side has ##p## as a factor while that of the right-hand side does not.

By the way, it would be better in this paragraph to use letters other than ##a,b## because they have already been used in the definition of ##\nu## for something different, where they can be divisible by ##p##, yet here we require them to not be divisible by ##p##. I would be inclined to instead write: suppose ##\frac ab=p^\beta\frac cd=p^\beta \frac{c'}{d'}## where ##p## does not divide any of ##c,d,c',d'## and ##\alpha,\beta## are non-negative integers with ##\alpha\geq \beta##. We can then use the prime factorisations of ##p^{\alpha-\beta}cd'=c'd## to prove that ##\alpha=\beta##, thereby pacifying the constructivist logicians that are uncomfortable with proof by contradiction (not that that matters, but I think it's good to be constructivist if one can do so without undue inconvenience).

Bashyboy said:
##\nu(p^\alpha \frac{a}{b} + p^\beta \frac{c}{d}) = \nu( p^\beta \frac{p^{\alpha - \beta} ad + cd}{bd}) = \beta \ge \min \{\alpha, \beta \} = \alpha##
There are two errors in here. Firstly the numerator of that fraction should be ##p^{\alpha - \beta} ad + cb##, not ##p^{\alpha - \beta} ad + cd##. Secondly, given your assumptions, ##p^{\alpha - \beta}## will not be an integer. It's best to be consistent with notation and assumptions or else one confuses oneself. Earlier you assumed ##\alpha>\beta## but now you have assumed ##\beta>\alpha##, yet you seem to still be using the earlier assumption some of the time.

If you re-write this fraction carefully, paying attention to the assumptions, you should be able to write the sum of the two rationals as ##p## raised to the lower of the two indices, multiplied by a fraction whose denominator is not divisible by ##p##, and whose numerator may or may not be.
However, it seems possible that ##p## could divide the numerator of ##\frac{p^{\alpha - \beta} ad + cd}{bd}##...
That is not a problem. If it does it just makes the value of ##\nu## applied to the sum bigger, so the inequality will still be satisfied.

1. What is a discrete valuation ring?

A discrete valuation ring is a type of commutative ring in which every nonzero element has a unique "valuation," or degree of divisibility. This means that every nonzero element in the ring can be written as a power of a single element, called the "uniformizer."

2. How is a discrete valuation ring different from a regular ring?

Unlike a regular ring, a discrete valuation ring does not have a multiplicative identity. Additionally, the valuation function on a discrete valuation ring is a total order, meaning that any two nonzero elements can be compared in terms of their divisibility.

3. What is the significance of proving that a ring is a discrete valuation ring?

Proving that a ring is a discrete valuation ring allows us to better understand the structure and properties of the ring. This can be useful in applications such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and algebraic number theory.

4. How do you prove that a ring is a discrete valuation ring?

To prove that a ring is a discrete valuation ring, we must show that it satisfies the two defining properties: every nonzero element has a unique valuation, and the valuation function is a total order. This can be done using various techniques, such as induction and contradiction.

5. What is the unit description of a discrete valuation ring?

The unit description of a discrete valuation ring is that every nonzero element can be written as the product of a unit (an element with a multiplicative inverse) and a power of the uniformizer. This means that the units in a discrete valuation ring are precisely the elements with a valuation of 0.