Discrete Math: Proving Injectivity/Surjectivity of g°f

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of injectivity and surjectivity in relation to composing functions. The general patterns for these properties are outlined, but the question of how to prove a function is injective or surjective is raised. It is suggested that for surjectivity, one must show that every element in the codomain has a corresponding element in the domain that maps to it, while for injectivity, every element in the range has only one corresponding element in the domain. The process of proving these properties is dependent on the specific problem at hand, and a counterexample can be used to show when a function is not injective or surjective.
Lolligirl
1. Show by example that it is possible for g°f(x) to be surjective while f(x) is not
I am confused by the general pattern of injectivity (one-to-one) and surjectivity (onto). I know the following by looking through my book:

If f and g are surjective, then g°f is surjective.
If f is surjective and g is surjective, then g°f is surjective.
If f is surjective and g is injective, then g°f is injective.
If f is surjective, then f°f is surjective.
If g°f is surjective, then g is surjective.

But I don't know the answer to the rest that I haven't included, such as if f is an injection and g is a surjection, but g°f is not an injection.

What I'm asking is this: how do you prove something is surjective or injective? We have just started this topic so I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, but I think it would have something to do with, for surjectivity, proving that for every b ∈ B, there is a corresponding a ∈ A that maps to it. For injectivity, for every a ∈ A, there is only one b ∈ B that maps to it. How is this done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lolligirl said:
What I'm asking is this: how do you prove something is surjective or injective? We have just started this topic so I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, but I think it would have something to do with, for surjectivity, proving that for every b ∈ B, there is a corresponding a ∈ A that maps to it. For injectivity, for every a ∈ A, there is only one b ∈ B that maps to it. How is this done?

That is exactly right for surjective. For injective, assuming we are talking about maps from A to B you should say "for each b ∈ range(f) there is only one a ∈ A that maps to it".

The answer as to how you prove a map is injective or surjective, you demonstrate the above statements. The mechanics of doing so depends on the particular problem. And, of course, to show a map isn't injective or surjective you just demonstrate a counterexample to the defining statement.

Related to Discrete Math: Proving Injectivity/Surjectivity of g°f

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct values, such as integers or graphs. It is used to solve problems that involve counting, arranging, and organizing objects in a finite or countable manner.

2. What does it mean to prove injectivity of g°f?

Proving injectivity means showing that for every output of the composite function g°f, there is only one corresponding input. In other words, no two distinct inputs will produce the same output. This is also known as the one-to-one property.

3. How do you prove injectivity of g°f?

To prove injectivity of g°f, you need to show that if g°f(x1) = g°f(x2), then x1 = x2. This can be done by setting up an equation and using algebraic manipulations to show that the only solution is x1 = x2.

4. What does it mean to prove surjectivity of g°f?

Proving surjectivity means showing that for every output of the composite function g°f, there is at least one corresponding input. In other words, the range of the composite function is equal to the codomain of the function.

5. How do you prove surjectivity of g°f?

To prove surjectivity of g°f, you need to show that for every y in the codomain of g°f, there exists at least one x in the domain of g°f such that g°f(x) = y. This can be done by setting up an equation and solving for x, or by using a proof by contradiction to show that if there is no x that satisfies the equation, then the function is not surjective.