Discrete Mathematics: Proof problem for even integer

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. So in summary, we can prove the statement that for every non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an even integer by breaking down the equation into z(z - 3) and considering two cases: z is even and z is odd. When z is even, z(z - 3) simplifies to 2a(2a - 3) which is an even integer according to the definition of even. When z is odd, z(z - 3) simplifies to 2(2a2 - a) - 2 which
SolarMidnite

Homework Statement

For every non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an even integer. Prove this statement. So far, I have learned about direct proofs and indirect proofs such as contraposition and contradiction.

Homework Equations

An integer z is odd when there is an integer a so that z = 2a+1. An integer is even when there is an integer a such that z = 2a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke it down into to two parts where x is even and another where x is odd:

For even, I substituted z = 2a into z2 - 3z to get (2a)2 - 3(2a). After expanding, I got 4a2 - 6a and further simplified it to get 2a(2a - 3).

I tried using proof by contradiction by taking the negation of the statement and saying suppose there is at least one non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an odd integer.

For odd, I substituted z = 2a + 1 to get (2a+1)2 - 3(2a + 1). After expanding, I got (4a2 + 4a + 1) - 6a - 3. Then, 4a2 - 2a - 2. Finally, I simplified it to get 2(2a2 - a) - 2. (2a2 - a) is an integer because it is the difference of two integers. However, this does not match up with the definition of odd, which is z = 2a + 1. This means that there is not at least one non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an odd integer. Therefore, the statement that for every non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an even integer is true.

I got confused somewhere down the line and I don't think that the solution I came up with is correct. I would really appreciate some assistance with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
SolarMidnite said:

Homework Statement

For every non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an even integer. Prove this statement. So far, I have learned about direct proofs and indirect proofs such as contraposition and contradiction.

Homework Equations

An integer z is odd when there is an integer a so that z = 2a+1. An integer is even when there is an integer a such that z = 2a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke it down into to two parts where x is even and another where x is odd:

For even, I substituted z = 2a into z2 - 3z to get (2a)2 - 3(2a). After expanding, I got 4a2 - 6a and further simplified it to get 2a(2a - 3).

I tried using proof by contradiction by taking the negation of the statement and saying suppose there is at least one non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an odd integer.

For odd, I substituted z = 2a + 1 to get (2a+1)2 - 3(2a + 1). After expanding, I got (4a2 + 4a + 1) - 6a - 3. Then, 4a2 - 2a - 2. Finally, I simplified it to get 2(2a2 - a) - 2. (2a2 - a) is an integer because it is the difference of two integers. However, this does not match up with the definition of odd, which is z = 2a + 1. This means that there is not at least one non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an odd integer. Therefore, the statement that for every non-negative integer z, z2 - 3z is an even integer is true.

I got confused somewhere down the line and I don't think that the solution I came up with is correct. I would really appreciate some assistance with this question.
z2 - 3z = z(z - 3).

Look at two cases - one in which z is odd and the other in which z is even. For each case, say something about z - 3.

EDIT: Withdrawn. What Mark44 said above is much simpler. :biggrin:

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I didn't think of breaking down z2 - 3z to get z(z - 3). I substituted z for 2a+1 for odd and 2a for even into z(z-3), but I got the same results that I got from substituting 2a+1 and 2a into z2 3z: 2a(2a - 3) for even and 4a2 - 2a - 2 for odd.

Why am I only supposed to say something about (z-3) for each case? Why not for z(z-3). Does (z-3) represent an integer and could be substituted for a in 2a+1 (odd) or 2a (even)? If that makes any sense!

SolarMidnite said:
Why am I only supposed to say something about (z-3) for each case? Why not for z(z-3). Does (z-3) represent an integer and could be substituted for a in 2a+1 (odd) or 2a (even)? If that makes any sense!
If z is even, is z-3 even or odd? What can you say about their product?

If z is even (z = 2a), wouldn't the product of z and z-3 be even since any number that is multiplied by an even number is even? And if z is odd (z = 2a+1), would the product of z and z-3 be odd as well? I'm not sure how to show this using the definitions of odd and even since I'm left with 2 (2a2 - a) - 2 when I use the definition of odd to substitute into the equation z(z-3) and it does not correspond to 2a + 1.

SolarMidnite said:
If z is even (z = 2a), wouldn't the product of z and z-3 be even since any number that is multiplied by an even number is even? And if z is odd (z = 2a+1), would the product of z and z-3 be odd as well? I'm not sure how to show this using the definitions of odd and even since I'm left with 2 (2a2 - a) - 2 when I use the definition of odd to substitute into the equation z(z-3) and it does not correspond to 2a + 1.
If z is odd (z = 2a +1), then
z - 3 = 2a + 1 - 3 = 2a - 2.
So is z-3 odd or even?

z - 3 = 2a - 2
= 2*(a-1)

(a-1) is an integer since it is the sum or difference of two integers, so it would be equivalent to 2 * (integer) which is the same as saying 2a since a represents an integer. This means that z-3 is even.

And if z is even, then z-3 would be even as well with the reasoning shown as follows:

z -3 = 2a - 3
z = 2a - 3 + 3
z = 2a

Is this reasoning correct?

No, we took the case where z is odd, so let z=2a+1, then z-3=2a+1-3=2a-2=2(a-1) which is even. Now we have an odd times an even.

SolarMidnite said:
And if z is even, then z-3 would be even as well with the reasoning shown as follows:

z -3 = 2a - 3
z = 2a - 3 + 3
z = 2a

Is this reasoning correct?
No. You're mixing up the two cases, it looks like.

Case 1. If z is even (z = 2a), then z - 3 is odd. So z * (z - 3) is even.
Case 2. If z is odd (z = 2a + 1), then z - 3 is even [z - 3 = 2(a - 1)]. So z * (z - 3) is also even.

That's it!

eumyang said:
No. You're mixing up the two cases, it looks like.

Case 1. If z is even (z = 2a), then z - 3 is odd. So z * (z - 3) is even.
Case 2. If z is odd (z = 2a + 1), then z - 3 is even [z - 3 = 2(a - 1)]. So z * (z - 3) is also even.

That's it!
And you don't even have to add the bits about z = 2a or z = 2a + 1. If z is even, it's pretty evident about z - 3 being odd. If z is odd, clearly z-3 is even. In either case you have an odd number times an even number, which gives an even number.

Thank you very much for the clarification. This has been very helpful. I understand why if z is odd, then z-3 is even. However, I still don't get if z is even, why z-3 is odd. If z is even, then z = 2a. z - 3 = 2a - 3. How is 2a - 3 odd? Is it because of the -3?

SolarMidnite said:
Thank you very much for the clarification. This has been very helpful. I understand why if z is odd, then z-3 is even. However, I still don't get if z is even, why z-3 is odd. If z is even, then z = 2a. z - 3 = 2a - 3. How is 2a - 3 odd? Is it because of the -3?
Because
2a - 3
= 2a - 4 + 1
= 2(a - 2) + 1
(or 2 times some integer, plus 1)

SolarMidnite said:

Think about it intuitively. We have some even number, then we take 3 away from that so taking away 1 gives us an odd, then even, then odd.
Or in an even quicker fashion, taking away 2 obviously gives us the next even number down, so taking away 3 gives us an odd.
And then extending this to the general case, taking away 2n from an even number for some integer n gives us another even number, then taking away 2n+1 gives us an odd number.

Ohh, I understand it now. I didn't see the connection with -4 + 1 and -3 before. As a distance education student, I really appreciate the help!

Related to Discrete Mathematics: Proof problem for even integer

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It is used to solve problems in computer science, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is a proof in discrete mathematics?

A proof in discrete mathematics is a logical argument that shows a statement or theorem to be true. It involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

3. How do I prove that an integer is even?

To prove that an integer is even, you can use the definition of an even number, which states that it is divisible by 2 without a remainder. You can also use the fact that any even number can be written as 2 multiplied by another integer.

4. What is the difference between a direct proof and an indirect proof?

A direct proof is a method of proof that starts with the given statements and logically progresses to the conclusion. An indirect proof, also known as a proof by contradiction, assumes the opposite of what you want to prove and shows that it leads to a contradiction.

5. Can you give an example of a proof for an even integer?

Yes, for example, to prove that the integer 8 is even, we can use the definition that an even number is divisible by 2 without a remainder. Since 8 divided by 2 gives us a quotient of 4 with no remainder, we can conclude that 8 is even.