How Is Alpha Calculated in the Discretization of an RC Circuit?

I didn't fully read the solution you were presented but I think you need to switch that plus sign to a minus sign.In summary, the problem involves deriving a discrete formula for Vab[k] in an RC circuit using the forward difference approximation. The equation should be of the form Vab[k + 1] = α Vab[k] and only depend on T, R, and C. After applying Ohm's law and discretizing, the solution found is Vab[k+1] = ((T/RC)+1) Vab[k], which yields a result of approximately 1.0025. However, the solutions manual claims that the correct answer is 0.9975, which can be achieved by switching
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

[/B]
Derive a discrete formula for an RC circuit for Vab[k] using the forward difference approximation. It should be of the form Vab[k + 1] = α Vab[k], and depend only on T, R, and C. For T = 0.076 s, R = 3 kΩ, and C = 10 mF, what is α?

T is the period.
The current is going from a to b.

Homework Equations

Ohms law
Forward difference formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find the equation editor...

dVab(t)/dt = (1/c)I(t)

discretisized:

dVab[k]/dt = I[k]/c

which is approximately equal to

(Vab[k+1] - Vab) / T

solving for Vab[k+1]

Vab[k+1] = (T/C)I[k] + Vab[k]

From Ohm's law for a simple RC circuit we can find that

I = Vab/R

thus

Vab[k+1] = (T/RC)Vab[k] + Vab[k]

Vab[k+1] = ((T/RC)+1) Vab[k]

it follows that

α = (T/RC)+1)

which yields a result of approximately 1.0025

however, the solutions manual claims that the answer is 0.9975 which is (1-(T/RC))

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I solved it. I swapped
(Vab[k+1] - Vab) / T

to
(-Vab[k+1] + Vab) / T

because of the orientation of the current.

Feodalherren said:

Derive a discrete formula for an RC circuit for Vab[k]...
There is only ONE RC circuit in the universe? How about showing us a schematic drawing ...
The problem wording suggests that the output voltage is decaying in which case you know alpha has to be < 1.

Related to How Is Alpha Calculated in the Discretization of an RC Circuit?

1. What is discretization of RC-circuit?

Discretization of RC-circuit is a process of approximating a continuous-time RC-circuit into a discrete-time system by dividing the circuit into smaller time intervals.

2. Why is discretization of RC-circuit necessary?

Discretization of RC-circuit is necessary because most real-life systems operate in discrete time, and it allows for easier analysis and simulation of the circuit.

3. How is discretization of RC-circuit done?

Discretization of RC-circuit is done by sampling the continuous-time signal at regular intervals and approximating the continuous-time differential equations with discrete-time difference equations.

4. What are the advantages of discretization of RC-circuit?

Discretization of RC-circuit allows for easier analysis and simulation of the circuit, and it also makes it possible to use digital signal processing techniques to process the circuit's output.

5. Are there any disadvantages to discretization of RC-circuit?

One potential disadvantage of discretization of RC-circuit is that it introduces errors in the system due to the approximation process. It is important to carefully choose the sampling rate and discretization method to minimize these errors.