Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
World Cup 2010 kicked off this afternoon with the host nation South Africa playing to a 1-1 draw with Mexico. Since this is a global event, any football fans out there in PF can use this thread for all discussion relating to the World Cup. I think we had a special forum in previous years when Greg wasn't globe trotting. Tell us your favourite teams, your tips for the eventual winner, and the matches you look forward to most.

Since the demographic here is mostly USA-ians, the most exciting match coming up looks like the England v USA match on 12/06/10. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in. What are everybody elses thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terrible offsides call to change the game

Kurdt said:
World Cup 2010 kicked off this afternoon with the host nation South Africa playing to a 1-1 draw with Mexico. Since this is a global event, any football fans out there in PF can use this thread for all discussion relating to the World Cup. I think we had a special forum in previous years when Greg wasn't globe trotting. Tell us your favourite teams, your tips for the eventual winner, and the matches you look forward to most.

Since the demographic here is mostly USA-ians, the most exciting match coming up looks like the England v USA match on 12/06/10. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in. What are everybody elses thoughts?

That's June 12th to us USA-ians, not December 6th :wink:.

lisab said:
That's June 12th to us USA-ians, not December 6th :wink:.

Just thought I'd write it in a way that the rest of the world understands. :tongue:

Office_Shredder said:
Offside call was right, 1 player can be behind the ball.(even if this player in not a goalkeeper)

I'll support the USA but also like the Italy team. (I'm AC Milan fan)

Office_Shredder said:
That was exactly the right call. The offside rule has two parts. First, a player has to be in an offside position. Second, the player has to have committed an offside offense.

Part 1: Was Vela in an offside position? "A player is an offside position if he is nearer the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent." The pass was a forward pass. Test #1a: Vela was closer to the goal line than the ball at the time of the pass. What about the penultimate defender? Pienaar was at the goal line, but Khune had run forward. Test #1b: Vela was in front of the penultimate defender (Khune). Put the two together: Vela was in an offside position.

Part 2: Did Vela commit an offside offense? This was not one of the three situations where being in an offside position is legal. Did he interfere with play, interfere with a player, or gain an advantage from being in an offside position? Yes, he scored a goal. Vela was offside. The goal didn't count.

That tie in the opener makes the France-Uruguay game rather important. I expect South Africa and Mexico to advance from group A. France doesn't deserve to go anywhere but back to France.

I'd obviously like to see the US advance to the round of 16. Beyond that is wishing for too much. I'd like to see at least one team other than Spain or Brazil in the finals.

We should have set up a PF Futbol League like we did last time. We could still do it ...

EDIT: Just can't seem to find the thread for the last time we had a Fantasy FIFA League. Help?

Last edited:
My predictions for group C are that the US will beat England tomorrow in a scrappy game that will embarrass all Englishmen, and force the players to pull their socks up. England and the US will advance (in that order), with the US not getting any further and England getting knocked out in the Semis. As for the eventual winners, well, I quite fancy Argentina even though they're a bit mental: they have some great players. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

As for today's games: I don't see Mexico beating a good side with a defense as poor as they were today, and with such a terrible keeper!

Okay, if you want to play, fill in your best guess of the score for the following day's games. Only submissions that come in before 6AM GMT (on gameday) will be accepted. You get ONE point for each correct outcome (team A wins; team A loses; draw) and ONE additional point for each correct score. Use the format below, and fill in your predictions:

June 12:

S Korea - Greece (1-0)
Argentina - Nigeria (2-1)
USA - England (1-1)

Last edited:
Nicely volunteered, Gokul :biggrin:

June 12:

S Korea - Greece (1-2)
Argentina - Nigeria (4-1)
USA - England (1-0)

June 12:

S Korea - Greece (0-1)
Argentina - Nigeria (2-0)
USA - England (1-2)

Oh heck. Being completely contrarian,

S Korea - Greece (2-0) Greece has collapsed in more ways than economically.
Argentina - Nigeria (1-2) Messi will be messy.
USA - England (1-0) Last night's Daily Show fingering of the US team fires the team up.

S Korea-Greece 1...2
Argentina-Nigeria 3...1
USA-England 1...3

I filled one out for a contest at work, here's my bet:

Argentina - Nigeria (2 - 0)
South Korea - Greece (1 - 1)
England - USA (2 - 0) (the correct way around)

USA (3) - England (2)

cronxeh said:
USA (3) - England (2)

Come on, be realistic. England might be having a bad time defence-wise, but I can't see them letting in 3 USA goals!

cristo said:
Come on, be realistic. England might be having a bad time defence-wise, but I can't see them letting in 3 USA goals!
<cough> Remember Barca? :wink: </cough>

http://o.seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/worldcup/2012084369_soccersaf11.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they really need to make that damned noise the entire time? It got pretty annoying.

I agree with the offside call, I believe it was the correct call and the goal didn't count. Kudos to the officials for making the first big/difficult call of the World Cup.

zomgwtf said:
Do they really need to make that damned noise the entire time? It got pretty annoying.

I agree with the offside call, I believe it was the correct call and the goal didn't count. Kudos to the officials for making the first big/difficult call of the World Cup.

So far the refereeing is very impressive.

Gokul43201 said:
<cough> Remember Barca? :wink: </cough>

Yes well, erm, that was completely different. (Damn you've got a good memory!)

[PLAIN]http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20100606/25/9acc1cf043c08a54ccff7ba67796355e.jpg

USA 2, England 1
South Korea 2, Greece 0
Argentina 3, Nigeria 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, your entry needed to be in by 1AM EST - you're 6 hrs late!

Nevertheless, since we only started yesterday, I'll show some leniency, but only some. Any points won off your late submission will be halved and rounded downwards (floored or GIF'ed).

No more late submissions will be accepted.

I'm putting this in for tomorrow:

June 13:

Algeria - Slovenia (0-1)
Serbia - Ghana (2-1)
Germany - Australia (3-1)

Game update: Jungsoo scores! Korea up by one.

Last edited:
Greece looked tired only 25 minutes in.

The second goal by Jisung was fantastic. But he'd better have scored on that one. I can't believe he ignored his team mate that was all alone.

So much for FIFA rankings, eh.

Algeria - Slovenia (0-1)
Serbia - Ghana (2-1)
Germany - Australia (3-0)

Edit: And I should get half a point back for posting a cool picture.:rofl:

Algeria - Slovenia (0 - 1)
Serbia - Ghana (1 - 0)
Germany - Australia (2 - 0)

BobG said:
Greece looked tired only 25 minutes in.
Greece looked tired after that first shot at goal around 5' in, but they are an aging team. Nevertheless, I think it's more the contrast with the speed of the Korean team that made Greece look tired.
So much for FIFA rankings, eh.
I suspect Greece has been riding its 2004 ranking way past its expiry date.

BobG said:
Edit: And I should get half a point back for posting a cool picture.:rofl:
You'll get an extra half-point if the US wins and Donovan scores more goals than Rooney in that game!

For the June 13 games:
Algeria - Slovenia (0-0)
Serbia - Ghana (1-1)
Germany – Australia (3-1)

What a header from Heinze! Maybe I'll get one prediction correct.

I'm holding off on tomorrow's matches, since I don't know too much about the teams!

Hope it's cool I join in now :smile:

Algeria - Slovenia (0-0)
Serbia - Ghana (1-2)
Germany - Australia (2-1)

Oh boy, the Serbia - Ghana game is going to be interesting for me. All my friends are Serbian and my girlfriend is Ghanaian. So we're going to head to a bar in the morning to watch it. Go blackstarss :wink:

I will be away from the internet Sunday so will likely put in my votes for Monday sometime soon.

Rule Clarification:

Do not edit predictions posts to correct grammar, typos, etc. if you are doing so after the submission deadline. Any submitted post with an edit showing a time stamp later than the deadline results in a rejection of that post.

Corollary: You may edit your submission to change your entry, so long as it is done before the deadline. No limit on the number of qualifying revisions allowed.

Note: While I started this and produced the general format and rules, I do not promise to be around to monitor things continuously. I will periodically post a table showing our scores, but it's your job to double-check my tallying. Also each person is responsible for getting their votes in for the next set of matches - I will not be around to start things off for all days.

About joining late: You may join at any point during the tournament. The later you join, the harder it is to be competitive, so there's a benefit to joining early. The only thing that matters in the end is the total number of points you accumulate.

Last edited:
June 13:

Algeria - Slovenia (1-1)
Serbia - Ghana (0-1)
Germany - Australia (2-0)