Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
North Korea - Ivory Coast (1-2)
Portugal - Brazil (1-4)
Switzerland - Honduras (2-0)
Chile - Spain (1-3)

Physics news on Phys.org
North Korea - Ivory Coast (0-1)
Portugal - Brazil (1-2)
Switzerland - Honduras (1-0)
Chile - Spain (1-3)

North korea-Ivory Coast(1,1)
Portugal-Brazil(1,2)
Switzerland-Honduras(0,0)
Chile-Spain(0,1)

North Korea - Ivory Coast (0 - 2)
Portugal - Brazil (0 - 1)
Switzerland - Honduras (1 - 0)
Chile - Spain (0 - 1)

For the weekend:

(2 - 0) Uruguay - S. Korea
(2 - 0) USA - Ghana

(2 - 0) Germany - England
(1 - 0) Argentina - Mexico

Unable to do the scoring tables, and likely will not get a chance till Monday. Would be good if someone else did a scoring update sometime over the next day or two.

Results 22nd, 23rd, 24th:

France 1-2 South Africa
Mexico 0-1 Uruguay
Greece 0-2 Argentina
Nigeria 2-2 South Korea

USA 1-0 Algeria
Slovenia 0-1 England
Australia 2-1 Serbia
Ghana 0-1 Germany

Paraguay 0-0 New Zealand
Slovakia 3-2 Italy
Cameroon 1-2 Netherlands
Denmark 1-3 Japan

Scoring Table (This time ranked by cumulative score)
Code:
Member      June 22-23-24 Score      Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------------
Monique           2-5-1                   26
D H               2-L-1                   24
cristo            2-3-1                   23
Bob               1-2-2                   21
zomgwtf           1-L-3                   16
estro             4-o-o                   16
Dadface           o-2-1                   14
Borg              2-3-o                   09
lewdtenant        o-o-o                   03

Before the knockout stages start, can we clarify the point scoring. Are the predictions based on 90 minutes of play (as any bets would be), or does extra time/pens count? If the latter, does a shootout win count as one goal, thus meaning a 0-0 draw would, after a shootout, have 1-0 as the effective score?

Cristo, my score for the final week shuold be 4 I think. Bonus point for getting Cameroon and Netherlands right.

Wow, Brazil - Portugal has been quite a boring game in my opinion. Probably because Robinho and Kaka are missing from this game, but still. I kind of miss the old flair that Brazil used to have and brought to the table.

Uruguay - S. Korea (1-0)
USA - Ghana (1-2)
Germany - England (2-1)
Argentina - Mexico (1-0)

These are would be final scores. I don't know how we're doing the knock out rounds yet... do we put draws and if they draw after 90minutes then we get it? Or how's this work.

Uruguay-S Korea(1,0)
USA-Ghana(1,1)

Germany-England(0,3)
Argentina-Mexico(3,0)

Uruguay - South Korea (2 - 1)
USA - Ghana (1 - 0)

Germany - England (0 - 1)
Argentina - Mexico (2 - 0)

I have a dumb question. At what point in the playoffs do games not end in ties?

Last edited:
zomgwtf said:
Wow, Brazil - Portugal has been quite a boring game in my opinion. Probably because Robinho and Kaka are missing from this game, but still. I kind of miss the old flair that Brazil used to have and brought to the table.

It was boring because neither team needed a win. Why risk yellows/injuries when both teams could play conservatively and still advance?

zomgwtf said:
These are would be final scores. I don't know how we're doing the knock out rounds yet... do we put draws and if they draw after 90minutes then we get it? Or how's this work.

Borg said:
I have a dumb question. At what point in the playoffs do games not end in ties?

Taken from http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/56/42/69/fifawcsouthafrica2010inhalt_e.pdf" :

-The Round of 16
If, after 90 minutes, a match ends in a draw, extra time of two periods of
15 minutes each will be played. If the score is level after extra time, penalty
kicks will be taken to determine the winner in accordance with the procedure
described in the Laws of the Game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uruguay - S. Korea (2-1)
USA - Ghana (2-0)
Germany - England (1-0)
Argentina - Mexico (2-0)

Dembadon said:
Taken from http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/56/42/69/fifawcsouthafrica2010inhalt_e.pdf" :

-The Round of 16

That doesn't answer my question. Are we counting only what happens after the regulation time or is it the full game that we are considering? Many betting places go by what happens during regulation. So a draw is still possible to bet on, are we doing that for this>?

zomgwtf said:
That doesn't answer my question. Are we counting only what happens after the regulation time or is it the full game that we are considering? Many betting places go by what happens during regulation. So a draw is still possible to bet on, are we doing that for this>?

I think we should predict the results for after 90 minutes of play. Here are my predictions (though too late for today!)

Uruguay - S. Korea (0-1)
USA - Ghana (0-1)
Germany - England (1-1)
Argentina - Mexico (3-0)

England Germany will go to a shootout, and we'll lose (as per usual).

Speaking of shootouts, no more paradinhas. The shooter can feint during the run-up, but once at the ball, his shot has to be a continuous motion. (South Americans are probably more familiar with this shot than Europeans.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBnZKx4sT4

cristo said:
I think we should predict the results for after 90 minutes of play.

My two bits: There are 48 games in the group stage and only 16 in the knockouts. This makes our stats rather lopsided; the total possible score for the group stage is three times that of the total possible score for the knockout stage.

Here's the rub: The knockout stage is where the World Cup gets down to business. We ought to weigh the knockout stage more than we do. My suggestion for doing so:

First 90 minutes, including injury time:
For predicting the winner in regular time: 2 points, +4 points for predicting the exact score.
For predicting a tie: 1 point, +1 point for predicting the exact score.

Overtime:
For predicting the winner in overtime: 2 points, +2 points for predicting the exact score.
Note: You can only predict an overtime outcome if you predict a tie in the first 90.

Kicks from the mark:
For predicting the winner: 1 point, +1 point for predicting the exact score.
Note: You can only predict a shootout outcome if you predict a tie in the first 90 and in overtime.The above scheme yields a total of six PF points per knockout stage game, so there are 96 total points for the knockout stage. That is same total as that for the group stage (as opposed to a third), and let's us predict the real outcome of the game.

Last edited:
I'm too late for today's games (again). For tomorrow,

Germany - England (2-1) in regular time
Argentina - Mexico (2-0) in regular time

Good game right now between Uruguay and South Korea. Now that it's tied, maybe Uruguay will wake up a little.

Youtube has a soccer ball button on some videos that if you click on it, it has vuvuzelas play during the video.

D H said:
My two bits: There are 48 games in the group stage and only 16 in the knockouts. This makes our stats rather lopsided; the total possible score for the group stage is three times that of the total possible score for the knockout stage.

Here's the rub: The knockout stage is where the World Cup gets down to business. We ought to weigh the knockout stage more than we do. My suggestion for doing so:

First 90 minutes, including injury time:
For predicting the winner in regular time: 2 points, +4 points for predicting the exact score.

Overtime:
For predicting the winner in overtime: 2 points, +2 points for predicting the exact score.
Note: You can only predict an overtime outcome if you predict a tie in the first 90.

Kicks from the mark:
For predicting the winner: 1 point, +1 point for predicting the exact score.
Note: You can only predict a shootout outcome if you predict a tie in the first 90 and in overtime.

The above scheme yields a total of six PF points per knockout stage game, so there are 96 total points for the knockout stage. That is same total as that for the group stage (as opposed to a third), and let's us predict the real outcome of the game.

Ok are we going to do this starting today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow cause some people have already put in their predictions.

zomgwtf said:
Ok are we going to do this starting today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow cause some people have already put in their predictions.

Does it really matter? The only way anyone will catch Monique is if they run over her in a car.

Why not the score you predict is inclusive of penalties and extra time etc? Or use the bookies method of only after 90 minutes of play. Its simples *click* :wink:

BobG said:
Does it really matter? The only way anyone will catch Monique is if they run over her in a car.

I was in Berlin for the weekend, luckily nobody ran over me in a car. The score definitely should not be inclusive of penalties, I made my prediction based on 90 minutes of play plus injury time (like all the other games).

Tomorrow:
Netherlands - Slovakia (1 - 0)
Brazil - Chili (1 - 0)

Kurdt said:
Why not the score you predict is inclusive of penalties and extra time etc?

This is what I thought we were doing from the very beginning. I was predicting the full outcome of the game not just after 90 minutes + injury time. But it appears we haven't come to a consensus on what to do here lol.

Anyways tomorrow:
Netherlands - Slovakia (2-1)
Brazil - Chile (2-0)

If you include the penalties you get a huge bias in the score.
I'm not sure how many penalties you can maximally take, but I don't think it is very useful to have a score of 12-0 when in fact the game ended in 0-0 after 120 min of play.

Last edited:
Monique said:
If you include the penalties you get a huge bias in the score.
I'm not sure how many penalties you can maximally take, but I don't think it is very useful to have a score of 12-0 when in fact the game ended in 0-0 after 100 min of play.

That's not how it works.

If a team goes into a shootout then it remains a draw. Goals scored in a shootout don't count towards the score... it's just used to determine who advances to the next stage. So if someone picked 1-1 draw then after 90minutes + injury time + overtime + ot injury time then it would be a draw and they would get their points and those who chose that a team would win would not.

I don't even think FIFA reports a 'winner' of the game in a penalty shootout. The team just advances, the score remains a draw though. In some leagues (lower levels) the team that wins the penalty shootout gets 1 point.

Tomorrow's guesses:

Netherlands - Slovakia (2 - 1)
Brazil - Chile (2 - 1)

Exactly, so we're not including the score after the penalty shootout. I'm fine with including the overtime play, but the system of DH is too complicated for my liking.

I agree that DH's proposal is, in my opinion, too complicated. Like Monique, I'm fine with including extra time in the predictions.

With that in mind, for the next couple of days:

Netherlands - Slovakia (4-1)
Brazil - Chile (3-0)
Paraguay - Japan (1-1)
Spain - Portugal (1-4)

Netherlands-Slovakia(1,1)
Brazil-Chile(3,1)

Netherlands - Slovakia (2-0)
Brazil - Chile (2-0)

leroyjenkens said:
Youtube has a soccer ball button on some videos that if you click on it, it has vuvuzelas play during the video.

I keep thinking a vuvuzela is a kind of flowering shrub :redface:.