Displacement word problem grade 11

In summary, the lady travels 20m before hitting the brake and the total displacement of the car is 93.5m due to the deceleration at 9.3 m/s^2.
max1020
1. while driving a lady sees a cat run on the road and it takes her 0.80s to react and put her foot on the brake. her car is traveling 25 m/s. (a)how far will the car travel before she puts her foot on the brake and (b) if when the brake is applied the car decelerates at a uniform rate of 9.3 m/s^2, what is the total displacements in the car?

i tried dividing .80s by 25 m/s for (a) but i don't know if its right. and i have no idea how to do the (b)

Physics news on Phys.org
You take one step per second and you walk for 3 seconds how many steps do you take?

The lady is traveling at 25 meters/second and travels for 0.8 of a second before hitting the brake and how many meters does she travel?

for part b, show us what formulas you know that might apply to the problem and think I have time, speed and acceleration and want distance...

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
jedishrfu said:
You take one step per second and you walk for 3 seconds how many steps do you take?

The lady is traveling at 25 meters/second and travels for 0.8 of a second before hitting the brake and how many meters does she travel?

for part b, show us what formulas you know that might apply to the problem and think I have time, speed and acceleration and want distance...

So I would multiply .80*25 which is 20m

max1020 said:
So I would multiply .80*25 which is 20m

Yes and you can check via units of measure m/s *s is meters.

part

For part (a), your approach is correct. To find the distance the car travels before the lady puts her foot on the brake, we can use the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. In this case, v = 25 m/s and t = 0.80 s. So, the distance traveled before the lady reacts and applies the brake is:

d = (25 m/s) x (0.80 s) = 20 meters

For part (b), we can use the formula d = (v0)t + (1/2)at^2, where d is the displacement, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, v0 = 25 m/s, a = -9.3 m/s^2 (negative because it is decelerating), and t = 0.80 s. So, the total displacement of the car can be calculated as:

d = (25 m/s)(0.80 s) + (1/2)(-9.3 m/s^2)(0.80 s)^2 = 20 meters - 2.368 meters = 17.632 meters

Therefore, the total displacement of the car is 17.632 meters. It is important to note that displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In this problem, the direction of the displacement is opposite to the direction of the car's initial velocity.

What is a displacement word problem?

A displacement word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the distance between two points, often using a combination of equations and real-life situations. It is commonly encountered in physics and requires the use of displacement, velocity, and time equations.

What is displacement?

Displacement is a term used to describe the distance and direction of an object's change in position between two points. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

How do you solve a displacement word problem?

To solve a displacement word problem, you first need to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use relevant equations (such as the displacement formula) and plug in the known values to solve for the unknown. It is also important to pay attention to units and ensure they are consistent throughout the problem.

What are some common units used in displacement word problems?

Common units used in displacement word problems include meters (m) for distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and seconds (s) for time. Other units such as kilometers, miles, and hours may also be used depending on the specific problem.

What are some real-life examples of displacement word problems?

Some real-life examples of displacement word problems include calculating the distance traveled by a car, the displacement of an airplane between two cities, or the displacement of a person walking from one point to another. These types of problems can also involve scenarios such as boats traveling in a river, airplanes flying in different directions, or cars moving at varying speeds.