Distance moved in two different inertial frames

In summary, a dropped coin in a stationary or moving elevator will have the same time of descent, but the distance traveled will be different between the two scenarios when observed from the ground frame. However, the distance traveled will be the same when observed from the frame of the elevator and the ground frame. This is due to the fact that the observer on the ground will see a different initial position for the coin in the moving elevator scenario, leading to a different total distance traveled.
Monsterboy
Homework Statement
A person standing on the floor of an elevator drops a coin. The coin reaches the floor of the elevator in a time t1 if the elevator is stationary and in time t2 if it is moving uniformly. Then
(a) ## t_1=t_2 ##
(b) ## t_1<t_2 ##
(c) ## t_1>t_2 ##
(d) ##t_1>t_2## or ##t_2>t_1## depending on whether the lift is going up or down.
Relevant Equations
Height from which the coin is dropped (or distance travelled by the coin) = ## ut + \frac{1]{2} {a}{t^2} ##
We have one elevator at rest and another moving up or down at uniform speed, so both of them are considered to be inertial frames.

Taking the initial height of the coin as

##H = 0 + \frac{1}{2} g{t_1}^2## and

##H = 0 + \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2##

##t_1 = t_2 = t = \sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}}## in both the cases

So, the correct option (a) ##t_1 = t_2## , this is the answer given.

I don't understand why the distance moved the elevator is not considered.

Lets say the elevator moved by a distance ##y## up or down in the time interval ##t_2##, so the distance traveled by the coin will be

##H + y = \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2## if it moves down
or
##H - y = \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2## if it moves up

So, now how can ##t_2## be equal to ##t_1## ? Now that its distance traveled towards the floor is different ?

Inertial frame simply means a frame where Newton's laws work as expected without applying any corrections right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the elevator has a constant velocity up or down, this will also be the initial velocity of the dropped coin.

Likes Monsterboy and PeroK
Oh,

So we get,

##H + y = ut_2 + \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2## or ##H - y = ut_2 + \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2##

But in the frame of the observer inside the elevator, ##u = 0## right ? Same way, the distance traveled by the coin is the same ? But it is different for an observer on the ground right ?

Monsterboy said:
Oh,

So we get,

##H + y = ut_2 + \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2## or ##H - y = ut_2 + \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2##

But in the frame of the observer inside the elevator, ##u = 0## right ? Same way, the distance traveled by the coin is the same ? But it is different for an observer on the ground right ?
What is ##y## expressed in ##u## and ##t_2##?

Orodruin said:
What is y expressed in u and t2?
Hmm...

## y = ut_2 ## ?

So ##y## and ## ut_2 ## cancel out when distance traveled is ##H + y## but they add up if the distance is ##H - y##.

we get

## H = \frac{1}{2} a{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves down.
## H = 2ut_2 + \frac{1}{2} a{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves up ?

I was expecting the distance traveled to be greater when the elevator is moving down.

Last edited:
Monsterboy said:
Hmm...

## H = \frac{1}{2} a{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves down.
## H = 2ut_2 + \frac{1}{2} a{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves up ?

I was expecting the distance traveled to be greater when the elevator is moving down.
I think it will be

## H = \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves down.
## H = 2ut_2 - \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves up ?

Monsterboy said:
I think it will be

## H = \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves down.
## H = 2ut_2 - \frac{1}{2} g{t_2}^2 ## when the elevator moves up ?
For any constant velocity ##u## (positive or negative). The coin starts at ##y_0## and, assuming it is released at ##t =0##, its trajectory is$$y_c = y_0 + ut - \frac 1 2 gt^2$$The trajectory of the floor of the elevator is$$y_f= y_0 - h + ut$$where ##h## is the height of the elevator. The coin lands when ##y_c = y_f##. I.e.
$$y_0 + ut - \frac 1 2 gt^2 = y_0 - h + ut$$The ##y_0## and ##ut## terms cancel, leaving$$\frac 1 2 gt^2 = h$$And we see that ##t## depends on ##g## and ##h## and not on the constant velocity of the elevator, zero or otherwise.

Likes Monsterboy
Lets talk in terms of frames, so for an observer on the ground, the distance traveled by the coin in the stationary and the moving elevator is the same ? I got that time taken is the same, probably stupid to think that distance traveled can be different ?

I can visualize the distance traveled to be the same for observers inside the elevator, but I can't visualize what an observer on the ground will see, I assumed that the distance traveled will be ##H + y## and ##H - y## where ##H## is the initial height of the coin above the elevator floor and ##y## is the distance traveled by the elevator after the coin is dropped. Is this where I went wrong ?

Monsterboy said:
Lets talk in terms of frames, so for an observer on the ground, the distance traveled by the coin in the stationary and the moving elevator is the same ?
We need to be a little more careful in specifying things.

We have two different scenarios (moving elevator, stationary elevator).
We have three different frames of reference (moving elevator, stationary elevator, ground).

Six possibilities. Exactly which two do you want to compare?

On the face of it, you want to compare the moving scenario and the stationary scenario both in the ground frame. The two distances moved will be different between those two scenarios.

Likes Monsterboy and PeroK
jbriggs444 said:
We have two different scenarios (moving elevator, stationary elevator).
We have three different frames of reference (moving elevator, stationary elevator, ground).
Six possibilities. Exactly which two do you want to compare?
Aren't the frames of the stationary elevator and the ground basically the same ?
jbriggs444 said:
On the face of it, you want to compare the moving scenario and the stationary scenario both in the ground frame. The two distances moved will be different between those two scenarios.
Ok, this is what I wanted to know.

Monsterboy said:
Aren't the frame of the stationary elevator and the ground basically the same ?
Yes. Just a fixed offset, not a difference to velocity or acceleration.

Likes Monsterboy
Monsterboy said:
Lets talk in terms of frames, so for an observer on the ground, the distance traveled by the coin in the stationary and the moving elevator is the same ? I got that time taken is the same, probably stupid to think that distance traveled can be different ?

I can visualize the distance traveled to be the same for observers inside the elevator, but I can't visualize what an observer on the ground will see, I assumed that the distance traveled will be ##H + y## and ##H - y## where ##H## is the initial height of the coin above the elevator floor and ##y## is the distance traveled by the elevator after the coin is dropped. Is this where I went wrong ?
In the ground frame ##u = 0## in the case of a stationary elevator and ##u \ne 0## in the case where the elevator is moving up or down uniformly.

In the frame of the elevator (whether moving or not in the ground frame) ##u = 0## in all cases!

Likes Monsterboy and jbriggs444

1. What is the concept of "distance moved in two different inertial frames"?

The concept of "distance moved in two different inertial frames" refers to the measurement of the distance an object has traveled in two different frames of reference that are both moving at a constant velocity. This concept is based on the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

2. How is distance moved calculated in two different inertial frames?

Distance moved in two different inertial frames can be calculated using the formula d' = γ(d - vt), where d' is the distance measured in one frame, d is the distance measured in the other frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and γ is the Lorentz factor. This formula takes into account the time dilation and length contraction effects of special relativity.

3. What is the significance of measuring distance moved in two different inertial frames?

The significance of measuring distance moved in two different inertial frames is that it allows for a more accurate understanding of the motion of objects in different frames of reference. This is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary for accurate results.

4. Can distance moved be the same in two different inertial frames?

No, distance moved cannot be the same in two different inertial frames. This is because the relative velocity between the two frames will affect the measurement of distance, as seen in the formula d' = γ(d - vt). Therefore, the distance moved will be different in each frame.

5. How does the concept of "distance moved in two different inertial frames" relate to the theory of relativity?

The concept of "distance moved in two different inertial frames" is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity. It demonstrates how the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, and how measurements of distance and time can vary depending on the relative velocity between frames. This concept is essential in understanding the principles of special relativity and its applications in modern science and technology.