Distance of a Point Charge: Solving for Initial Distance Using Relativity

In summary, the problem involves measuring the constant electric field of a distant charge that suddenly changes after being moved by a partner. The use of relativity and the equation for the gamma factor is suggested, but the lack of information makes it difficult to solve. The solution is found to be approximately 24 feet, with the speed of light being about 1 foot per nanosecond.
Zack K

Homework Statement

You make repeated measurements of the electric field ##\vec E## due to a distant charge, and you find it is constant in magnitude and direction. At time ##t=0## your partner moves the charge. The electric field doesn't change for a while, but at time ##t=24## ns you observe a sudden change. How far away was the charge originally?

Homework Equations

Maybe ##\gamma= \frac {1} {\sqrt {1-\frac {v^2} {c^2}}}##?
##\vec E=\frac {kq} {|\vec r|^2}\hat r##

The Attempt at a Solution

Someone in my class said that you have to use relativity to solve the problem, hence why I put the equation to get a gamma factor. The textbook did go into relativistic electric fields at the end of the chapter but didn't go into too much detail. I was thinking that you would use the equation for the gamma factor to solve for v, then use that and multiply by time to get the initial distance. But to do that you would have to know what your gamma factor is, which I don't. What also confuses me is how can your electric field not change when you are moving the charge? I'm guessing it has something to do with time dilation. Sorry for the ramble

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh... It's just d=vt, v being the speed of light.

Likes jbriggs444
Zack K said:
Sigh... It's just d=vt, v being the speed of light.
Yup. So the answer is d ≈ 24 ft.
c ≈ 0.9835 ft/ns , so about 1 foot per nanosecond.

1. What is the distance of a point charge?

The distance of a point charge is the distance between the point charge and a reference point. It is typically measured in meters (m).

2. How is the distance of a point charge calculated?

The distance of a point charge can be calculated using the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between the x, y, and z coordinates of the two points.

3. Does the distance of a point charge affect its strength?

Yes, the distance of a point charge does affect its strength. The strength of a point charge decreases as the distance from the reference point increases, following the inverse square law.

4. Can the distance of a point charge be negative?

No, the distance of a point charge cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and is always positive. However, the direction of the point charge can be negative if it is located in the opposite direction of the reference point.

5. How does the distance of a point charge affect the electric field?

The distance of a point charge affects the electric field by decreasing its strength as the distance increases. The electric field follows the inverse square law, meaning that it decreases by the square of the distance from the point charge.