Distance of Closest Approach

• Thread starter Meera.sheeda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, the particles' closest approach happens when they have kinetic energy and their masses are not equal.
Meera.sheeda

Homework Statement

A proton and an alpha particle (q= +2e, m=4u) are fired directly at one another from far way, each with an initial velocity of 0.01c. What is their distance of closest approach, as measured between their centres?

Homework Equations

mivi = mf vf
and KEi +Ui = KEf + Uf

U = (q1 x q2 ) / (4επr)

KE= 0.5mv^2

Mass of proton: 1.67E-27
Charge of Proton: 1.692E-19
c = 3E8

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry this question has been asked before but I didn't understand the explanations in those threads.

I tried using the conservation of momentum:
(1.67E-27 * 0.01c) - (4 * 1.67E-27 * 0.01c) = -(1.67E-27 * velocity of proton) + (4* 1.67E-27 * velocity of alpha particle)
∴ -9000000= -velocity of proton + 4*velocity of alpha particle
but then I don't understand how to find the velocities of the particles individually or how to get this equation into the KE equation.

When I tried using the conservation of energy I got:

½*1.67*10^-27*(0.01c)^2 + ½*4*1.67*10^-27*(0.01c)^2 = (3*1.602*10^-19) /4επr

∴ r = 115008.95

which is so far off, as the answer in the back of the book says: 1.93x10^-14

Which equation am I using wrong and how can I fix it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using energy arguments, equate the initial k.e. of both particles to the potential energy of the particles when all their k.e. is gone.

Meera.sheeda said:

Homework Statement

A proton and an alpha particle (q= +2e, m=4u) are fired directly at one another from far way, each with an initial velocity of 0.01c. What is their distance of closest approach, as measured between their centres?

Homework Equations

mivi = mf vf
and KEi +Ui = KEf + Uf

U = (q1 x q2 ) / (4επr)

KE= 0.5mv^2

Mass of proton: 1.67E-27
Charge of Proton: 1.692E-19
c = 3E8

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried using the conservation of energy I got:

½*1.67*10^-27*(0.01c)^2 + ½*4*1.67*10^-27*(0.01c)^2 = (3*1.602*10^-19) /4επr

∴ r = 115008.95

which is so far off, as the answer in the back of the book says: 1.93x10^-14
Use the correct units. What is 0.01c in SI units? What is the formula for potential energy of two charges a distance r apart? Nothing like (3*1.602*10^-19) /4επr for charges e and 2e.

I think you'll want to do the calculation in the center of momentum frame of reference. Because the masses are not equal, for observers in any other frame the closest approach will happen when the system still has kinetic energy.

The absolutely easiest way of solving this problem is to ask the following questions:
What is the velocity of the particles at the time of closest approach?
What is the kinetic energy at this point?
What must the potential energy be?
At what distance is this fulfilled?

You can go to the CoM frame but it is not necessary. I also suggest you keep the symbolic representations of your quantities and only insert them at the very end.

1. What is "Distance of Closest Approach"?

"Distance of Closest Approach" is a term used in physics and astronomy to describe the closest distance between two objects as they move along their respective trajectories. It is commonly represented by the symbol d, and is important in understanding the dynamics of objects in motion.

2. How is the "Distance of Closest Approach" calculated?

The "Distance of Closest Approach" can be calculated by using the equations of motion and the initial conditions of the two objects. These initial conditions include the position, velocity, and acceleration of the objects at a given time. By solving for the point at which the distance between the objects is minimized, the "Distance of Closest Approach" can be determined.

3. What factors influence the "Distance of Closest Approach"?

The "Distance of Closest Approach" is influenced by various factors, such as the masses of the objects, their initial velocities and positions, and any external forces acting on them. The shape and orientation of the trajectories of the objects can also affect the "Distance of Closest Approach". In addition, factors such as air resistance, friction, and gravitational pull from other objects in the vicinity may also play a role.

4. Why is the "Distance of Closest Approach" important in scientific research?

The "Distance of Closest Approach" is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the dynamics and interactions between objects in motion. It is especially relevant in fields such as astrodynamics, where the trajectories of celestial bodies are of interest. It is also important in studying collisions between particles and the behavior of objects in orbit.

5. Can the "Distance of Closest Approach" be used to predict future interactions between objects?

Yes, the "Distance of Closest Approach" can be used to predict future interactions between objects. By analyzing the trajectories and calculating the "Distance of Closest Approach", scientists can determine the likelihood of collisions or other interactions between objects in the future. This information is crucial in fields such as space exploration and satellite operations, where avoiding collisions is critical.