Projectile motion when only given distance and acceleration

James1019
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork problems.
TL;DR Summary: Find horizontal velocity?

I have no idea how to solve the problem, the question only provide distance 16cm(h),3.6cm(v) and acceleration = 0
20231028_090924.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to assume gravity on Earth, ##9.81 m^2/s.##

The following comments are copied from another thread, of which I took this thread to be a duplicate. The more appropriate response here was "please post your attempt".

1. You have mixed up vertical and horizontal displacements.
2. The given vertical displacement is from launch to max height, but the given horizontal displacement is for the whole trajectory.
3. Only the horizontal acceleration is zero. You need an equation involving vertical acceleration.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
1. You have mixed up vertical and horizontal displacements.
2. The given vertical displacement is from launch to max height, but the given horizontal displacement is for the whole trajectory.
3. Only the horizontal acceleration is zero. You need an equation involving vertical acceleration.
16984918715571583419047920376863.jpg

Do I get the answer right?
Velocity can be negative right?
I am not sure answer is correct

James1019 said:
View attachment 334373
Do I get the answer right?
Velocity can be negative right?
I am not sure answer is correct
Your scratchings are unintelligible.
Please post your attempt by typing it in, per forum rules.
Lay it out in a logical sequence with explanation.
Avoid plugging in numbers until the end; create symbols as necessary, using distinct variables.
E.g. you could write ##x_{final}=v_xt_{final}##, where ##x_{final}=0.16##m.

This has many advantages, one of which is making it much easier for others to follow your reasoning.

haruspex said:
Your scratchings are unintelligible.
Please post your attempt by typing it in, per forum rules.
Lay it out in a logical sequence with explanation.
Avoid plugging in numbers until the end; create symbols as necessary, using distinct variables.
E.g. you could write ##x_{final}=v_xt_{final}##, where ##x_{final}=0.16##m.

This has many advantages, one of which is making it much easier for others to follow your reasoning.
16984942353478708324829624580753.jpg

Is it better ?
Do my answer correct?

James1019 said:
View attachment 334376
Is it better ?
Do my answer correct?
It's certainly more readable, but…
1. Your diagram does not match the information. As I pointed out in post #3
haruspex said:
The given vertical displacement is from launch to max height, but the given horizontal displacement is for the whole trajectory.
2. Your diagram does not show a right triangle. The ‘hypotenuse' is curved. So you cannot write that equation for ##\tan(\theta)##.
3. In your equation "s=", you have the vertical acceleration in the expression on the right but for s you substituted a horizontal displacement. Your starting equations should involve only horizontal motion and time or only vertical motion and time.

Start by finding the initial vertical velocity from:
  • max height
  • vertical velocity at max height
  • vertical acceleration

haruspex said:
It's certainly more readable, but…
1. Your diagram does not match the information. As I pointed out in post #3

2. Your diagram does not show a right triangle. The ‘hypotenuse' is curved. So you cannot write that equation for ##\tan(\theta)##.
3. In your equation "s=", you have the vertical acceleration in the expression on the right but for s you substituted a horizontal displacement. Your starting equations should involve only horizontal motion and time or only vertical motion and time.

Start by finding the initial vertical velocity from:
  • max height
  • vertical velocity at max height
  • vertical acceleration
16984995176737212414099940071507.jpg

But my question is I cannot find the max hieght without angle
Do you have any idea

James1019 said:
But my question is I cannot find the max hieght without angle
As I pointed out, the angle of launch does not give the relationship between horizontal and vertical displacements. The shape in your diagram is not a straight sided triangle.
To find the initial vertical velocity use the vertical acceleration, the height reached and the vertical velocity when at max height?
First, what is the vertical velocity when at max height?
Next, what standard equation relates those four values?

haruspex said:
As I pointed out, the angle of launch does not give the relationship between horizontal and vertical displacements. The shape in your diagram is not a straight sided triangle.
To find the initial vertical velocity use the vertical acceleration, the height reached and the vertical velocity when at max height?
First, what is the vertical velocity when at max height?
Next, what standard equation relates those four values?
Can you give me the answer or the equation?
It is a little bit confusing

James1019 said:
There is a standard set of "SUVAT" equations for constant acceleration. Five variables, s, u, v, a, t, where u is initial velocity and v is final velocity. There are five equations, each involving four of the variables. I feel sure you have been taught these.

Consider first the part of the trajectory from launch to max height. I asked you to find the initial vertical velocity given vertical acceleration, vertical displacement (height reached) and final vertical velocity (vertical velocity at maximum height).
Do you know a SUVAT equation involving those four?
What is the vertical velocity at maximum height?

James1019 said:
I am only a student and not an expert, but projectile motion is the subject I master the most and am most familiar with.
As you know, this type of motion describes a parabola, with a composition of two motions: rectilinear along the horizontal axis, uniformly accelerated rectilinear (with acceleration equal to ##g##) along the vertical axis.
One way to solve this problem is to find the analytical expression of the equation of the maximum height ##y_{\text{max}}## as a function of the initial velocity (and, in particular, of the latter's vertical component). As @haruspex pointed out well, what happens to the velocity of the projectile when the body reaches its maximum height, i.e. the vertex of the parabola? Once you have succeeded in deduce it, you can calculate (as a function of the initial vertical velocity) the time it takes for the projectile to reach the maximum height. Substitute this time into the equation of motion of the body along the vertical axis (analogous to that of a body thrown upwards with vertical velocity and subject only to the downward acceleration of gravity, i.e. uniformly decelerated motion) and you will find the expression for the maximum altitude. From there, you can calculate the initial vertical velocity.
In addition, you are given the range, i.e. the maximum horizontal distance, from the text. Carry out a procedure similar to the previous one and you will obtain an expression as a function of the horizontal velocity (constant) and the initial vertical velocity. You have already found this velocity previously, replace it, and thus obtain the horizontal velocity.
There is no need for angles or trigonometric functions of any kind.

I agree with @haruspex, it is much better to work in symbols than with numbers initially. If you can, substitute numbers only at the end.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
There is a standard set of "SUVAT" equations for constant acceleration. Five variables, s, u, v, a, t, where u is initial velocity and v is final velocity. There are five equations, each involving four of the variables. I feel sure you have been taught these.

Consider first the part of the trajectory from launch to max height. I asked you to find the initial vertical velocity given vertical acceleration, vertical displacement (height reached) and final vertical velocity (vertical velocity at maximum height).
Do you know a SUVAT equation involving those four?
What is the vertical velocity at maximum height?
Sorry, I had not seen this message. Sorry if I took the liberty to comment, and I also apologise if it would not be possible for me to comment, as I am only a student.

Hak said:
Sorry, I had not seen this message. Sorry if I took the liberty to comment, and I also apologise if it would not be possible for me to comment, as I am only a student.
Your post is fine, though my preference with someone who is struggling is just to deal with the next step or two in each post. Otherwise they can get overwhelmed or try steps out of sequence.

haruspex said:
Your post is fine, though my preference with someone who is struggling is just to deal with the next step or two in each post. Otherwise they can get overwhelmed or try steps out of sequence.
Yes, right, you are absolutely right. However, I am Italian and I was never taught the SUVAT method. It often happens that we cannot remember all the final equations by heart, so it happens just as often that we have to derive the equations needed for the unfolding from the time laws of motion.

Likes Lnewqban
James1019 said:
Welcome, @James1019 !

It will not be confusing if you take a closer look to nature.
Jumping frogs don't know anything about angles.

Carefully observe the pure vertical velocity of the midbody of the frog in this animation.
Then, try to answer the good questions of post #7 above.

77rC.gif
LlKPleE4RPiV91s5FfxA_PR1.gif
a7SGtJtsRKOP5z7N3Wx0_PR2.gif

Last edited:
Likes gmax137 and paulimerci

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, with only the force of gravity acting upon it. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as balls, bullets, and rockets.

2. How is projectile motion affected by distance and acceleration?

The distance and acceleration of an object can affect the trajectory and speed of its projectile motion. A greater distance will result in a longer flight time and a higher acceleration will result in a faster speed.

3. Can projectile motion be calculated using only distance and acceleration?

Yes, projectile motion can be calculated using only distance and acceleration. The equations used to calculate projectile motion are based on these two variables, along with the initial velocity and angle of launch.

4. What factors can affect projectile motion?

Besides distance and acceleration, other factors that can affect projectile motion include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the shape and weight of the object.

5. How is projectile motion used in real-life applications?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball and golf, in military applications like artillery and missiles, and in space exploration for rocket launches and satellite orbits.