How Far Is the Star Cluster with Apparent Magnitude 15 mag and B-V of 1.39 mag?

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the distance of a star cluster based on observations of Vega, a star of spectral type A0V with a distance of 7.76pc and an apparent magnitude of 0.0 mag. By assuming an interstellar reddening law and using equations for intrinsic brightness, color excess, and modified distance modulus, the calculated distance of the star cluster was found to be 2249pc. However, after further research and discussion, it was determined that the color index for Vega should have been set to 0 and the calculated distance should be -2249pc.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Question: Vega is a star of spectral type A0V at a distance of 7.76pc and has by definition
##m V =m B =0.0\space mag.##

Observations of a star cluster show, that all stars in the cluster with a spectral type A0V have an apparent magnitude of ##m V =15 \space mag## and a colour index of ##B-V=1.39 \space mag ##. Assuming an interstellar reddening law of ##A V /E(B-V)=3.2##, calculate the distance of this star cluster.

Homework Equations

$$m-M=5log(d/10) \space [1]$$
$$E(B-V)=(B-V)-(B-V)_0 \space [2]$$
$$m_v=M_v+5log(d)-5+A_v \space [3]$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: To calculate the intrinsic brightness which is ##(B-V)_0## so I used vega to do so.
I did this because according to wiki intrinsic brightness is a measure of absolute magnitude. So my reasoning is that if as the cluster and vega are in the same spectral band then they would sahre the same absolute magnitudes.

$$0-M_v=5log(7.76/10)=0.55$$

Step 2: Substituting this into my equation 2 as follows i.e colour excess equation.

$$E(B-V)=1.39-0.55=0.84$$

Step 3: Rearange the equation ##A V /E(B-V)=3.2## to calculate the extinction value ##A_v##

$$A_v=(3.2)(0.84)=2.69$$

Step 4: Using equation ##[3]## the modified distance modulus and rearanging to make ##d## the subject, I make ##d## the following:

$$10^{\frac{m_v -M_v+5-A_v}{5}}=d$$$$10^{\frac{15 -0.55+5-2.69}{5}}=2249pc$$

This to me seem quite far out, and in practical term I don't think it is possible. Have I made a wrong calculation or is my assumption in the first step completely wrong, or have I complete miss understood the question.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
Sign?

@haruspex what do you mean by Sign?

Taylor_1989 said:
@haruspex what do you mean by Sign?

I think you forgot a negative sign here:
log(0.776) is negative.

Alloymouse said:
I think you forgot a negative sign here:
log(0.776) is negative.
Sorry I automatically carred it though so, that my fault for missing the step, so it should read $$M_v=0.55$$

Taylor_1989 said:
Sorry I automatically carred it though so, that my fault for missing the step, so it should read $$M_v=0.55$$
Ok.
But I am not a cosmologist, so I am snowed by the plethora of variables, none of which are defined.
Would you mind adding some clarification, or maybe a link?
mV
mB
B
V
E, or is it a function E()?
A, or is it a variable AV?
m
M
(B-V)0
mv
Mv
Av

Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Question: Vega is a star of spectral type A0V at a distance of 7.76pc and has by definition
##m V =m B =0.0\space mag.##

Observations of a star cluster show, that all stars in the cluster with a spectral type A0V have an apparent magnitude of ##m V =15 \space mag## and a colour index of ##B-V=1.39 \space mag ##. Assuming an interstellar reddening law of ##A V /E(B-V)=3.2##, calculate the distance of this star cluster.

Homework Equations

$$m-M=5log(d/10) \space [1]$$
$$E(B-V)=(B-V)-(B-V)_0 \space [2]$$
$$m_v=M_v+5log(d)-5+A_v \space [3]$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1: To calculate the intrinsic brightness which is ##(B-V)_0## so I used vega to do so.
I did this because according to wiki intrinsic brightness is a measure of absolute magnitude. So my reasoning is that if as the cluster and vega are in the same spectral band then they would sahre the same absolute magnitudes.

Step 2: Substituting this into my equation 2 as follows i.e colour excess equation.

$$E(B-V)=1.39-0.55=0.84$$

Step 3: Rearange the equation ##A V /E(B-V)=3.2## to calculate the extinction value ##A_v##

$$A_v=(3.2)(0.84)=2.69$$

Step 4: Using equation ##[3]## the modified distance modulus and rearanging to make ##d## the subject, I make ##d## the following:

$$10^{\frac{m_v -M_v+5-A_v}{5}}=d$$$$10^{\frac{15 -0.55+5-2.69}{5}}=2249pc$$

This to me seem quite far out, and in practical term I don't think it is possible. Have I made a wrong calculation or is my assumption in the first step completely wrong, or have I complete miss understood the question.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.
I think for the step on finding E(B-V), you just need to sub (B-V) as 0 as the Stars in the cluster have the same spectral type as Vega. Hence you should get E(B-V) to be -1.39.

Take my point with a pinch of salt though, it's been a while since I last did stuff like this.

Okay first @haruspex sorry for not labelling the equations correctly, but after redoing the question and a bit of research through some books @Alloymouse is correct I should have set ##(B-V)_0=0##. I am new to the como stuff as it something I am not very intresed in but unfortunately a compulsory module.

But thank you all for the help

1. How is the distance to a star cluster measured?

The distance to a star cluster is typically measured using a method called parallax. This involves observing the apparent shift in the position of the star cluster when viewed from different points on Earth's orbit around the sun.

2. Can the distance to a star cluster be measured accurately?

Yes, with modern technology and advanced telescopes, the distance to a star cluster can be measured accurately within a few percentage points. However, there are still some limitations and uncertainties in the measurement process.

3. What unit is used to measure the distance to a star cluster?

The distance to a star cluster is usually measured in light-years, which is the distance that light travels in one year. It can also be measured in parsecs, which is a unit based on the parallax measurement method.

4. Why is knowing the distance to a star cluster important for scientists?

The distance to a star cluster is important for scientists because it can help determine the age, size, and composition of the cluster. It also provides valuable information about the evolution of stars and the universe as a whole.

5. How long does it take for light to travel from a star cluster to Earth?

The time it takes for light to travel from a star cluster to Earth depends on the distance to the cluster. For example, if a star cluster is 1000 light-years away, it would take 1000 years for the light to reach Earth. However, since most star clusters are located within our Milky Way galaxy, the travel time for light is relatively short compared to clusters in other galaxies.