Distance traveled by wheel with varying diameter and weight

In summary, the individual asking the question is curious about the relationship between wheel weight and diameter in terms of distance traveled, assuming all other factors remain constant. They ask for guidance on how to calculate the distance traveled for two wheels with different weights and diameters. The answer depends on the setup and whether rolling resistance is the only relevant factor. It is also mentioned that wheels with more mass near the rim will have more initial energy and may travel farther.
ncmtber
First off, please excuse my general lack of physics knowledge, it's been 10 yrs since one year of it in high school ... but I can usually follow along pretty well once pointed in the right direction.

I've been curious about the relationship of wheel weight and diameter in relation to distance traveled holding everything else constant.

Specifically let's say I have two wheels, one is smaller in diameter and also weighs less than the other. If I apply the same power (or is it work or force?) to the wheel via a crank (think uncicyle wheel to simplify), how do I figure out how far the two wheels will travel respectively for a given time?

Do I need to differentiate between a traditional wheel with hub/spokes/rim/tire and a solid disk or does it really matter?

I'd assume a heavier/larger wheel will travel farther than a lighter/smaller wheel up to a point but as weight grows more of the power applied will need to overcome accelerating from 0 but I'd like to learn how to find the actual figures for comparison. I don't need asnwers, but where to start or formulas that may help instead. I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this and searching the forums didn't help me much.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the setup. If only rolling resistance is relevant and this resistance is proportional to the mass then only the shape matters - wheels with a lot of mass near the rim will have more initial energy per mass and roll farther than wheels where most of the mass is near the center.

Related to Distance traveled by wheel with varying diameter and weight

1. How does the diameter of a wheel affect the distance it travels?

The diameter of a wheel directly affects the distance it travels. A larger diameter wheel will cover a greater distance with each revolution compared to a smaller diameter wheel. This is because the circumference of a wheel is directly proportional to its diameter.

2. Does the weight of a wheel affect the distance it travels?

Yes, the weight of a wheel can affect the distance it travels. A heavier wheel will require more force to rotate, resulting in a slower rotation and therefore covering less distance compared to a lighter wheel with the same diameter.

3. How does the weight distribution of a wheel affect its distance traveled?

The weight distribution of a wheel can also impact its distance traveled. If the weight is unevenly distributed, it can cause the wheel to wobble and create more friction, resulting in a shorter distance traveled. A well-balanced wheel with evenly distributed weight will have a smoother rotation and cover a greater distance.

4. Is there an ideal wheel diameter and weight for maximum distance traveled?

There is no one ideal wheel diameter and weight for maximum distance traveled. It depends on various factors such as the surface the wheel is rolling on, the force applied to rotate the wheel, and the weight distribution of the wheel. Generally, a larger diameter wheel with evenly distributed weight can cover a greater distance compared to a smaller diameter wheel with uneven weight distribution.

5. How can I calculate the distance traveled by a wheel with varying diameter and weight?

The distance traveled by a wheel can be calculated using the formula distance = circumference x number of revolutions. The circumference can be calculated by multiplying 3.14 (pi) by the diameter of the wheel. The weight of the wheel can be factored in by considering the force applied to rotate the wheel and the friction caused by the weight. This can be a complex calculation and may require experimentation to determine the exact distance traveled for a specific wheel with varying diameter and weight.