Wheel ground pressure vs wheel size

In summary, the tractor needs a wider tyre to get similar ground pressure as the car tire in order to avoid leaving deep tracks. The available wheel widths are 520mm, 600mm, 650mm and 700mm, with a radius of 801mm required.
Baluncore said:
I do not claim that it is only interior pressure. I stand by my earlier statement for tractor tyres.All the pneumatic tyre references I have seen, and all my experience with tractor tyres indicates that primarily, the ground pressure is the same as the internal pressure.

You can argue that it does not hold around the edges, or for special cases of curved ground, or free flowing mud, but in any rational analysis it must be the first principle of pneumatic tyres.
Then we agree. It is something many folks miss I fear.
Also I bet you can show that (even considering "surface tension" and a curved interface) the net upward load has to be the interior pressure times the contact area projected onto the horizontal plane. But who really cares!

<h2>1. What is wheel ground pressure?</h2><p>Wheel ground pressure is the amount of force per unit area that a wheel applies to the ground. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilograms per square centimeter (kg/cm²).</p><h2>2. How does wheel size affect ground pressure?</h2><p>Generally, larger wheels will distribute the weight of a vehicle or object over a larger area, resulting in lower ground pressure. Smaller wheels, on the other hand, concentrate the weight over a smaller area, resulting in higher ground pressure.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits of having lower ground pressure?</h2><p>Lower ground pressure can help reduce soil compaction and minimize damage to delicate surfaces, such as lawns or agricultural fields. It can also improve traction and stability on soft or uneven terrain.</p><h2>4. Are there any downsides to having lower ground pressure?</h2><p>While lower ground pressure can be beneficial in certain situations, it can also limit the weight-carrying capacity of a vehicle or equipment. It may also require larger and more expensive tires, which can increase maintenance costs.</p><h2>5. How can wheel ground pressure be calculated?</h2><p>Wheel ground pressure can be calculated by dividing the weight of a vehicle or object by the total area of all the wheels in contact with the ground. This can be done using a formula or by using specialized equipment, such as a ground pressure gauge.</p>

1. What is wheel ground pressure?

Wheel ground pressure is the amount of force per unit area that a wheel applies to the ground. It is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or kilograms per square centimeter (kg/cm²).

2. How does wheel size affect ground pressure?

Generally, larger wheels will distribute the weight of a vehicle or object over a larger area, resulting in lower ground pressure. Smaller wheels, on the other hand, concentrate the weight over a smaller area, resulting in higher ground pressure.

3. What are the benefits of having lower ground pressure?

Lower ground pressure can help reduce soil compaction and minimize damage to delicate surfaces, such as lawns or agricultural fields. It can also improve traction and stability on soft or uneven terrain.

4. Are there any downsides to having lower ground pressure?

While lower ground pressure can be beneficial in certain situations, it can also limit the weight-carrying capacity of a vehicle or equipment. It may also require larger and more expensive tires, which can increase maintenance costs.

5. How can wheel ground pressure be calculated?

Wheel ground pressure can be calculated by dividing the weight of a vehicle or object by the total area of all the wheels in contact with the ground. This can be done using a formula or by using specialized equipment, such as a ground pressure gauge.