Distillation question on finding q

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving the separation of a mixture of heptane and octane in a distillation column. The goal is to determine the top and bottom flowrates, the number of actual plates required for the separation, the minimum reflux ratio, and the number of stages at total reflux. The conversation includes discussions on how to plot the q line on a graph, with the given information about the feed composition and slope of the q line. The final answers for the problem are 122.58 kmol h-1 for the top flowrate, 78.42 kmol h-1 for the bottom flowrate, 18 actual plates required for separation, 1.62 minimum reflux ratio, and 14
arsalan_y
hi guys
ive been given a problem and I've worked most of it out but I am not sure whether my answer for the feed line (q) is correct can i get somebody to re assure me on how to plot it onto the graph and get it correctly. here's the question below.

A mixture containing 40 mole% heptane and 60 mole% octane is to be separated in a distillation column operating at a pressure of 1 bar. The distillate and the bottom product will contain 97 mole% heptane and 4 mole% heptane respectively. The feed rate will be 200 kmol h-1. The feed will be a mixture of 85% liquid at its boiling point and 15% saturated vapour. A reflux ratio of 2.1 is to be used. The plate efficiency is 75%.

Using the given information, determine:

(i) the top and bottom flowrates [kmol h-1],
which i found to be W= 122.58 and D= 78.42

(ii) the number of actual plates required for the separation using the McCabe Thiele graphical method,
i got 13 stages from the graph but i don't know if its right because i don't know if my q is right and I am not sure how to exactly plot it on the graph. so then i get actual plates to be 18
(iii) the minimum reflux ratio, and
i got this to be 1.62
(iv) the number of stages at total reflux.
i think its N+1 which is 13+1 so 14

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm. I used to know how to do this.. once. :)

Drawing the q line.. well you're told:
"The feed will be a mixture of 85% liquid at its boiling point and 15% saturated vapour"

So you start at the x=y line at your feed concentration. q is the mol fraction of liquid, and from the above you have q=0.85.

The slope of the q line is q/(q-1), vertical for saturated liquid, horizontal for saturated vapor.

i know that dude but i don't understand how to put the q line on the graph? i kno its going to haev a negative gradient but i don't understand on how plot it. i think u put the Xf going up to the 45 degree line then from there what do i do?

What is distillation and how does it work?

Distillation is a process used to separate and purify different components of a liquid mixture by heating and cooling. It works by taking advantage of the different boiling points of each component, causing them to vaporize and condense at different temperatures.

What is the purpose of finding q in distillation?

In distillation, q (heat) is an important factor in determining the efficiency of the process. By finding q, we can calculate the energy required to vaporize a liquid and the energy released when it condenses, which helps us optimize the process for maximum efficiency.

How do you calculate q in distillation?

The formula for calculating q in distillation is q = m x Hv, where q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the liquid being distilled, and Hv is the heat of vaporization. This formula can be used to find the energy required to vaporize a liquid or the energy released when it condenses.

What factors can affect the value of q in distillation?

The value of q in distillation can be affected by various factors such as the type of liquid being distilled, the temperature at which the distillation process is carried out, and the efficiency of the distillation equipment. Other factors include the amount of energy being supplied, the rate of heat transfer, and the purity of the liquid being distilled.

Can the value of q change during the distillation process?

Yes, the value of q can change during the distillation process. This is because the temperature and composition of the liquid mixture can change as the process progresses, which can affect the energy required for vaporization and condensation. It is important to monitor and adjust q throughout the distillation process to ensure optimal efficiency.